342 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
StencilMedia says

Hello! I’m not that up on computers and I was wondering if there’s any significant difference between different types of RAM?

I bought a new laptop in December and the first thing I did was upgrade the RAM from 6Gb to 16Gb. I went for the cheapest I could find and that was Komputerbay from Amazon. Since then I’ve been having a few BSOD’s every once in a while but I thought it was just the computer itself and not the memory.

I’ve now gone back to the memory it came with, the 2Gb is Samsung and the 4Gb is Kingston, and no problems. It does seem slightly cooler as well… it kept shutting down every other day as the CPU temperature was getting to around 120 Celsius. Can dodgy RAM cause your laptop to overheat?! I’ve bought a cooling pad, but it’s not making much difference and I’ve cleaned the fan.

I’ve seen some ‘Corsair Vengeance’ stuff which is twice the price of the Komputerbay ones, but I guess it’s worth it if it works! Is that a good brand to go for?

I appreciate ‘you get what you pay for’, so I should have know, but I assumed they’d at least work and not cause problems! Maybe I was being a bit optimistic. Once strange thing since I’ve swapped over the RAM though…. before I pressed F9 to turn the volume down… now I have to press FN+F9 to turn the volume down which I would have though was the right what to do it. Crazy!

Anyway, I'm rambling on now. Thanks!
7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

yes, there’s big difference between RAM, is not only the size. More important is the velocity the data can be moved to ram and how fast it can be accessed. This depends of the motherboard also, how fast can talk with the ram.

Is better to have the same type of brand and model on your computer.

A faulty memory module can be the reason of BSOD, don’t know about the CPU temp. Maybe the memory doesn’t work at proper voltage and somewhat affect the CPU but is just a supposition.

Try using only one module at the time and see what happens, if you get problems or overheating.

If you are not so good with hardware you should probably do nothing and just find someone who knows about this and let him verify everything.

If you damage the motherboard then you are in big trouble since it may cost you a lot of money to replaced. I’ve thrown away three laptops till now because the motherboard cost more than the new entire laptop.

342 posts
+2 more
StencilMedia says

Thanks Doru, much appreciated! The cheap ones I got said something about 9-9-9-24 (if that means anything to you?!) and the ones I’m looking at say 10-10-10-27 so I’m assuming that’s better.

I searched for one of the error codes I got with a recent BSOD and a few of the results were in the reviews of the Komputerbay RAM I’d got on Amazon!

Can’t believe how slow AE is now I’d dropped by 10GB! I think I’ll just bite the bullet and buy these…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10-Vengeance-Enthusiast-Notebook/dp/B0076W9Q5A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=KB30VP9EFT9M&coliid=INXVSKUAJN74C

They look pretty good, right?

7604 posts
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

what model the laptop is?

342 posts
+2 more
StencilMedia says
7604 posts
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

looks compatible to me. :)

342 posts
+2 more
StencilMedia says

Cheers!

2295 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

actually, lower numbers are better when it comes to timing, so 9-9-9-24 is better than 10-10-10-27, BUT I guess the 10-10-10-27 are faster MHz-wise.

Getting a BSOD looks like your motherboard doesn’t like the RAM, it doesn’t mean the RAM is bad in all cases, but in yours it’s just not working :) Maybe there’s a defect in one of the modules, if you still have guarantee you can try to report that issue.

So, essentially, you don’t have to go for the most expensive RAM to get it to work. All (compatible) ram SHOULD work.

If you are now investing in faster RAM is up to you. Generally, more MHz is better than faster (lower numbers) timing.

For my workstation, I went with one of the cheapest RAM (with the amount of MHz I wanted) and I have no problems at all. It’s actually the best working machine I’ve ever owned :)

342 posts
+2 more
StencilMedia says

Hmm, I was hoping it was the other way round… don’t really fancy paying twice the price for less performance! I’m hoping the Crucial ones will play better with my motherboard though. I mean with a cool name like ‘Vengeance’, they must be pretty good right?!

I’m also thinking of getting a new hard drive as the one I’ve got is only 5,400 rpm. I’ve seen a Seagate Hybrid Drive that’s a 7,400 rpm SATA drive but with some kind pf SSD action to make it loads faster, but without the massive cost. My worry with all this expense though, is that none of them help with the over heating issues, it gets worse, and I’m left with an expensive paperweight a few months down the line. The room is about 30 degrees Celsius without any air-con though, so maybe it’ll calm down a bit when winter kicks back in.

Maybe I should just buy a desktop and be done with it!

Anyway, thanks for the info!

2295 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

Hmm, I was hoping it was the other way round… don’t really fancy paying twice the price for less performance! I’m hoping the Crucial ones will play better with my motherboard though. I mean with a cool name like ‘Vengeance’, they must be pretty good right?!

As I said, MHz is much more important, and there is no significant difference between 9-9-9-24 and 10-10-10-27. It’s only recognizable in benchmarks, but not in real life tasks.

How much MHz does the KomputerBay RAM have?

Maybe I should just buy a desktop and be done with it!

If you want to upgrade more than just the ram, yes. For working, I prefer a desktop, as I always need a big screen to be able to do anything in AE and so the mobility of a laptop is pretty much useless.

by
by
by
by
by
by