238 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Poland
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Mastergreed says

I just have to rant about this :). You know, there is a job board script JobberBase, it’s Open Source and you know what? Their community sucks. I mean – people are asking for help, and they got no response. One man was asking “how to implement sponsored ads”, and people were posting about pasting google adsense, and while he was saying “no no no, not adsense ads, sticky job ads” people were keep talking about adsense :P.

And there are thousands of topics where people are posting just “same problem here, same here, same here” and no one is answering them. I’m trying to force this script to work as this is my first step to achieving something in my life as I don’t want to be a poor student in Poland any more and I want to make a difference to my life, and I have problems – because nothing is working. It’s probably the only free job board engine out there, and it got no support at all. And I have this strange feeling people who know something about coding there think this way: “OK kid, I know a lot about coding, I code a lot of this script myself just to make this work, but you know what? I don’t care about you, Filipe gave us free script but screw you – pay me and I will explain you how to fix this stuff – otherwise you won’t be able to use it in no way and I will keep earning money on my own project – this way you will have nothing, and I will have money”.

I have a problem – I have to re-code whole class.Postman.php to use only SMTP – right now I have no idea how to do this cause I don’t know where the problem is and I have no one to help me and probably no one will help me on JobberBase support forum – but I won’t give up – my life depends on this and maybe someone will be kind enough to help me :)

I love WordPress – it has soooo great community. I was active member on Polish Support Forum for WordPress, right now I’m less active as along with friend we’re running WPNinja.pl where we’re posting tutorials and tips for WP and we’re helping newbies understood the beauty of the code, but I’m still trying to help when I have time – because I like to help, knowledge should be free – if someone is willing to learn then why not helping him? And I don’t care if people are using WP to earn money (sometimes big money) – I just see “hey you need help, I can help” and I’m helping (the only difference is when someone is asking how to fix problems on blogs stealing content or spamming etc. – then I’m not helping at all). And this is what is making a great community.

Uff, I don’t understand anything about this JobberBase community – the script is good, very buggy but this can be fixed – if you know how. If you don’t, you can’t count on support community because there is none – but why? Because Job Board is used to earn money? Same thing in case of Wordpress but people are helping each other… Oh my…

Anyway – I feel better now :P

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Always good to rant a bit.

I wish I could help, but I’m not familiar.

118 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
elisent says

Mastergreed, put yourself in the developers shoes, after spending a lot of time on making the app for free and doing a good deed for all users out there, you need to spend many hours a day doing support. They probably have a full-time job or their own company, and they need to make a living as well. I say, be thankful for being able to use this open source script for free and try to teach yourself enogh php to do the mods you want. You can’t always expect everything for nothing. Another way would be just to purchase a commercial script and be done with it.

2 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
michoscopic says

I think he was referring to the community instead of the developer. I’m sure there are tons of people who used JobberBase and made it work for themselves, but didn’t come back to the site to support the community. Just downloaded it and used it and didn’t care for those less-abled people out there (such as myself) who need help with something. I know, it’s not like you owe the community or anything but it’s a nice thing to do, to support the community. By paying it forward, the community improves and subsequently the industry on the whole. I’m one of those who learnt through community support and I’m now actively helping those I know who have problems with their coding, because I learnt it from others. Good communities rock, where everyone helps each other.

Just my 2 cents :)

2 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
michoscopic says
michoscopic said
I think he was referring to the community instead of the developer. I’m sure there are tons of people who used JobberBase and made it work for themselves, but didn’t come back to the site to support the community. Just downloaded it and used it and didn’t care for those less-abled people out there (such as myself) who need help with something. I know, it’s not like you owe the community or anything but it’s a nice thing to do, to support the community. By paying it forward, the community improves and subsequently the industry on the whole. I’m one of those who learnt through community support and I’m now actively helping those I know who have problems with their coding, because I learnt it from others. Good communities rock, where everyone helps each other. Just my 2 cents :)

Oops I meant to say “THEY just downloaded it”, at the bolded part above. Just to clarify, as I realise it kinda read as if I downloaded it and used it and etc etc.

by
by
by
by
by
by