4 posts
  • Spain
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
maestroluc says

It would be useful to increase the quality of ThemeForest authors be able to evaluate not only the items.

The reason is that, based on my experience, an author who does not support one of their templates, even leaving aside off 1000 buyers but on the other hand focuses on promoting another item coming to 1800 buyers.

Buyers of the new item will not have the opportunity to see the rating of 1000 of their buyers who did not respect (and also a featured author).

Sorry for English … Google translator powered … ;) hahahah

569 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AlexFjord says

I get what you are saying but it is not fair to rate authors based on:

“code” as not all buyers are experienced enough to judge (with respect to any buyer!)

“support” mostly because it is not mandatory, in some cases there is confusion as to what reasonably constitutes support and also different authors are in different personal circumstances so it is not realistically fair to for example compare a two man team versus an author with multiple dedicated support staff.

Again I totally agree authors who stand out should be recognised but unless you can start on a level playing field I do not think it would be fair to be able to rate them on the same standards

4 posts
  • Spain
maestroluc says

I also understand what you say, but an author who sold over 900 copies of a wordpress template in which something does not work as the filter basic categories of Blog …. not a problem of inexperience of a buyer.

A template of an author who has earned over $49,500, it should be turned off for not having time to fix something like what I mention.

Especially when with another template you have for sale, has generated more than $99,000. I think with the profit for the author, it can support a problem of the template.

What you propose would be fair to both parties, author and buyer?

;)

569 posts
AlexFjord says

Buyers have the protection to email support (envato) and report bugs in files if the theme does not perform as in the demo. At the same time many authors do provide support (at varied time frames).

Again I agree that some deserve recognition but envato would need to find the best way to do it as rating them (a bit like the item rating that so many complain about due to unfair judgement or even malicious behaviour) gives the author no real way to protect themselves, whilst the buyers retain that benefit above of reporting bugs etc to have files soft disabled if the author does not fix it etc.

4 posts
  • Spain
maestroluc says

So, in my case by email at least got the refund, but that really does not come to solve the problem generated with my client and the extra work of having to purchase new template and prepare the content.

But this is the purpose of my post, give a feedback of an experience to try to improve the platform for all to follow mutually benefits.

Thanks for your ideas!

569 posts
AlexFjord says

I do understand your frustration but I would reiterate – it has to be done in a cautious way. As you said it has to be a two way street and fair on both buyers and authors.

As far as the client circumstances (not just yours), the agreements between a “developer” and their clients is only their own responsibility and not that of the author. If the client is aware that it is a template and therefore certain updates etc are depend on a third party then hopefully they would understand and at the end of the day what any buyer gets here is an amazing deal and if a client wants to pay less they have to appreciate the outcome may not be u to par with a bespoke custom agency. The idea of getting what you pay for is the same with any industry.

Good luck with your project

21 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United Kingdom
horizonq8 says

Ha, could not agree more. Recently run into yet another basic support issue, only to hear from Envato rep that support is encouraged but not obligatory. Never got a reply when I asked if they think advertising the template with support on product page is massively misleading in this case?

Being able to rate author on support would sort this issue. I understand these templates aren’t pricey, and I would not expect and continuous support for every item forever after, but help with bugs/setup in the first 2 weeks is crucial. Else, it’s a waste of money, as little as it may be.

Sadly, even some elite authors tend to do that lately :S Sell whatever amount of item, then drop it while focusing on a new one to flog.

A couple of authors I ran across have sort it support in a great way – providing the basics to everyone, and then offering a small fee based sub to a customization forum, where they answer user specific inquiries that are not related to theme bugs but widening the functionality.

I would happily pay 20-30% more per item, if author quality control on the marketplace was a bit higher and we weren’t met with reluctance to deal with high selling authors’ attitude.

Elite status should carry some weight, and it should be more then just number of sales.

407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
PaddyTaylor says

It will never happen – the rating system is already abused or mis interpreted by both buyers and authors. It would need a major overhaul eg explanations of ratings to make it feasible.

With all respect 20-30% extra would not make it worthwhile to authors. Imagine if an item sells 5k copies and how much time and resource would go into supporting that with genuine requests let alone sifting through the more misguided or unrealistic requests.

Microlancer already exists for updates, support and customisation and I am sure one of the big reasons behind launching it was to fill this gap.

Before anyone mentions other sites you can’t compare here with the main competitors who own the files they are selling and are not just a marketplace like envato who don’t own copyright hence why they cannot force anything other than initial review on files (and why already if the file is broken or not functioning as in the demo buyers can request a refund).

The same goes for “good customer relations” – envato an authors know in an ideal world 24/7 support would be great but it also comes down I operational capability and it is a number of the decisions to run envato this way that has made it the biggest and best there is. Again proven by the sheer quality and quantity it offers over nearly any competitor.

Slightly off topic but still relevant AlexFjord raised a good point in another thread based in the “you he what you pay for” theory. $40-50 for a full WP theme is incredible. Go to a private agency and pay $5k and you absolutely would expect updates and support etc. Alex asked – to any buyer if a client asked you to produce a working WP theme ( that you can sell to other people too so it’s like being an author here) and required support and updates BUT their budget was $50 then would you take the project?!?

Everyone went very quiet but my guess is no one would. With that in mind how is it fair I expect authors here to do it?

At the end of the day no one wants anyone buyer or author to have a bad experience and I agree 10000% with everyone here that the authors that go out of their way to help should be recognised but ratings (as proven by problems with item versions) are not the right way to do it as they are now.

More staff, costs, time, requirements on support means massive internal changes for envato and for a number of authors (esp the 1 or 2 man teams which includes some of the biggest authors in here) are more hassle than its worth. They cannot (for whatever reasons) meet the requirements, they produce less or even stop and long term the marketplace and buyers suffer.

Good luck getting your issues fixed.

21 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • United Kingdom
horizonq8 says

First, the 20/30% extra I meant for Envato as incentive to implement better quality management in regards to Authors and items.

On top of that I do thing we should be charged for access to updates – and that would be an incentive for the authors while shielding them from irrational demands from buyers.

And last, comparing a template to a custom made job is a little misguiding: a custom made site via an agency may bring in several thousand, but it does so now. I’ve used a custom service for my main business website, and that design is exclusive to me. There is nothing the agency can do without redesigning it massively, to sell it to someone else. It’s a one of fee, big as it may be.

With a template, one of good quality and especially one targeting specific business, the pile of money starts low, but grows as long as you keep it up to date, and easily surpasses any one off multi thousand deal you would’ve gotten if you designed it for one person/business.

The design that I paid for in full, is now mine, and it’s resell value is zero to the developer, unless you’re happy risking court attendance, or you happen to be stationed in some distant country, alternatively, if you’re sneaky by nature and don’t get caught ;)

There is a reason many people opt for making themes/templates and not custom designs – the personal responsibility to the client is nowhere near that of a face to face bespoke work. If Joe pops his work on TF, then decides to withdraw it after a month of cashing in, there is nothing, any of us buyers, can do. We’re told to stuff it, suck it up, live with it what not. There are currently no repercussions for treating your clients like short term cash cows, pocketing few thousands, then vanishing into thin air or even better, laughing in their face while watching unaware newbies purchase your new item. With a custom design, that attitude is out of question.

Point is, both aspects have their positive and negative sides, but saying that custom jobs yield more money is hardly valid.

Authors should be encouraged to update and support their templates, some are truly state of art products – and they should not do it for free – I wouldn’t want to, for sure.

Someone somewhere has to man up and start a new trend, but without the sometimes arrogant attitude of ýou bought that for 50 bucks so STFU’- because theme/template buyers should be considered a collective – each and everyone contributes to your wallet becoming comfortably stuffed – dismissing that is insulting to the very people you are trying to make a living of. I have a successful business that allows me to come on here, and randomly buy tenths of items if I see fit – but I did not get to where I am by dismissing any clients, little business as some of them may bring.

From my own experience, you should never, ever underestimated the power of the word of mouth.

407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
PaddyTaylor says

Actually I agree with a lot of what you are saying an appreciate that I mis understood your 20-30% comment and read your post on the “updates thread” elsewhere and think you have some very valid points. Weather it would be possible to charge for update or not is tough but I guess it needs to be able to determine the difference between update and bug fix.

As for the custom jobs point – I still really see validity in AlexFjord’s original point about people who ms client deadlines, want 24/7 support etc but who would not take on the original job for $50 if it was offered to them, mostly because there are quite a few extremely unfair author bashing threads on here for totally the wrong reasons, from people who often rely on their themes and who would not accept the same job if it was offered to them.

That said i totally agree that it is harsh that should an author remove their file quickly that buyers are stuck – that said my initial comments were more to outline the reasons why envato can do very little about it and the reasons/benefits of why they choose to run it that way.

You have clearly bought a lot of files and as it happens I do not think we are that far apart on our views – my original commentary was far more aimed at enlightening the less experienced. In the end for me it is a two way street and clearly both of us can see that it requires mutual respect and you are right that each direction brings positive and negative.

by
by
by
by
by
by