5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

We all knew there was a big risk in exposing detailed ratings information. For example, 5 star averages are almost extinct now. But the majority of authors have been advocating and supporting this change for as long as I can remember. Because the breakdowns show what we all suspected for a long time, the fact that 1 star zingers bring down what is otherwise an item with a ton of 5 star ratings. And that’s exactly the information we wanted to be able to show to buyers.

So the idea that Envato didn’t listen and consider our opinions on the ratings breakdown is a bit silly. Because the idea was spawned by authors in the first place. In fact I remember someone listing all the threads about the subject and there were tons. If the criticism is that it took too long to finally implement the idea, that’s fair.

Every author is entitled to their opinion, but the majority of authors consider the new ratings breakdown a huge positive. And if we start getting ratings feedback, that will be another.

1469 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

@codingjack – well said

6026 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Every author is entitled to their opinion, but the majority of authors consider the new ratings breakdown a huge positive. And if we start getting ratings feedback, that will be another.

I see the major reason for adopting ratings breakdown is not just author requests but it is already a proven safer approach followed by many online stores.

19 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
SimpleRealty says

While I like the general direction that Envato is taking, I’m pretty disappointed with the drop in sales in the last week, and especially last 4 days.

I’m sure the break-down in rating making its affect. I really hope that Envato will be able to “separate flies from cutlets”, otherwise these kind of ratings will work against us and not for us.

I suspect that majority of 1-star ratings are misuse or misunderstanding of the product on consumer part, especially when overwhelming majority gave a product a rating of 5-stars. And my guess is, that majority of 1-star “clients” never even contacted their respective authors. After all, I think authors should have a way to reach out to the “unhappy” customers and offer their “magical” support.

It would be great, if Envato had a sophisticated support/ticketing system, where they could measure the “important” things like: response time, type of issues, customer satisfaction with the product and support. Correlation between support response time, longevity of conversation and overall rating. This way we could see the 1-star ratings for what they really are and not just guess.

219 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
SurStudio says

Facts are that you released the rating update, and you had a ton of people complaining about it (still haven’t read a reply for this comment, which is not mine). Many asked to change the position of the break-down, and then you did it. You launch the survey, people point out drawbacks about the “support” and “customizations”, and then you see what you can do.

The problem is not with the staff (justinfrench or team) but with the management that didn’t involve in these features 2-3 years back. The current product owner is not experienced as an author as well as probably not having experience as buyer. So mild iterations becomes unavoidable – and taken care well too as of now.

If you still have to blame for these iterations, I would recommend doing so towards the staff who already had author/buyer experience in the past as well as not involving with these improvements to get them optimized. May be they are busy with adding obesity through new services. Just my understanding through observation.

I don’t know if the problem is with the dev team or with who… Have you seen this comment: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/coming-soon-the-item-support-tab/94624?page=19#805955 (see @justinfrench reply just below it).

To me, sounds like there are a few devs, which are doings things in a hurry without much planning, and while they are working on stuff, they come up with new ideas, and they make them even faster. It doesn’t seem like there’s much management.

And still no reply for this: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/update-author-ratings-sidebar/97636?page=5#799247 (11 days).

219 posts
+4 more
SurStudio says

I see the major reason for adopting ratings breakdown is not just author requests but it is already a proven safer approach followed by many online stores.

Online stores forces customers to write a review along with the rating, and the seller can reply back to that review. Which makes perfect sense, so potential buyers can understand the reasons of a low rating.

6026 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Online stores forces customers to write a review along with the rating, and the seller can reply back to that review. Which makes perfect sense, so potential buyers can understand the reasons of a low rating.

Online stores didn’t arrive all those features in single day. It takes step by step implementations at the cost of user complaints and compromise. Usually I won’t support Envato for these long delays to give green signal for essential features but when it comes to delays after started implementing, we supposed to respect the careful/step by step approach. Certain things can be implemented in single attempt while certain things require multiple phases.

219 posts
+4 more
SurStudio says

Online stores didn’t arrive all those features in single day. It takes step by step implementations at the cost of user complaints and compromise. Usually I won’t support Envato for these long delays to give green signal for essential features but when it comes to delays after started implementing, we supposed to respect the careful/step by step approach. Certain things can be implemented in single attempt while certain things require multiple phases.

I agree. If we’re talking about well established online stores, well, they took their time etc… if ALL of them, I mean ALL OF THEM are doing something: review + rating, then just do the same and lets move on… play with the Support Tab, the position of the box, background-position of the “i-have-a-cat” badge, whatever… that’s fine.

22 posts General Manager Marketplaces
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
HelenSouness says

Certain things can be implemented in single attempt while certain things require multiple phases.

I am with you VF. Our focus in the Marketplaces team is to ship improvements to the sites as often as we can. We are definitely consulting our community before any moves that effect you. We listen a lot. We are all on the forums all the time, listening to the good, the bad and the ugly views :-)

But then there comes a point where we form a view of what will improve things, and we need to test it to be sure. Now that we have traction getting more improvements to you regularly, there are times where small changes, can be the best way to test impacts. We ship, we watch, we learn, we move on or tweak them…

I promise two things in how we do this: - we never ship anything without asking our community for feedback and listening to it; and - we always check the impact on your sales. If a change hurts your sales, we will roll back, or we will change it.

We will always do these two things before we ship and we will always check impacts afterwards. I hate that some of you see dips in sales after changes. Sometimes the effects vary for individuals. But overall, we will change a feature if we see a dip in sales. Promise.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. It all counts and it all matters to us.

Helen

219 posts
+4 more
SurStudio says

Certain things can be implemented in single attempt while certain things require multiple phases.

I am with you VF. Our focus in the Marketplaces team is to ship improvements to the sites as often as we can. We are definitely consulting our community before any moves that effect you. We listen a lot. We are all on the forums all the time, listening to the good, the bad and the ugly views :-)

But then there comes a point where we form a view of what will improve things, and we need to test it to be sure. Now that we have traction getting more improvements to you regularly, there are times where small changes, can be the best way to test impacts. We ship, we watch, we learn, we move on or tweak them…

I promise two things in how we do this: - we never ship anything without asking our community for feedback and listening to it; and - we always check the impact on your sales. If a change hurts your sales, we will roll back, or we will change it.

We will always do these two things before we ship and we will always check impacts afterwards. I hate that some of you see dips in sales after changes. Sometimes the effects vary for individuals. But overall, we will change a feature if we see a dip in sales. Promise.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. It all counts and it all matters to us.

Helen

Hi Helen, this is the first time I see you posting a comment here, thanks for taking the time to write it. I’ll be very brief.

If a change hurts your sales, we will roll back, or we will change it.
Please see this comment (still no reply, 13 days): Other examples:

I would remove the “If” ;)

Just one simple question. Please see these other marketplaces links to items/products:

Just to list a few. All of them have ratings + review. The question is:

-If everybody else, from huge to medium/small marketplaces, is doing it, why you wouldn’t?

Thanks, Fred

by
by
by
by
by
by