7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

I promise two things in how we do this: - we never ship anything without asking our community for feedback and listening to it; and - we always check the impact on your sales. If a change hurts your sales, we will roll back, or we will change it. We will always do these two things before we ship and we will always check impacts afterwards.

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum :)

Please take my comments with an open mind. If I critique something doesn’t mean everything is bad and this place should burn. I like this marketplace. Off course nothing is perfect and there are limitations in what can be implemented or not and I also understand this.

Said this please allow me to point out that your above statement is not correct.

While I’m sure the staff verify how certain changes affect the marketplace I can tell you for sure that the first point is not true. There are moments when the staff implements changes but they never asked for feedback from the community first. The mini-bundles for example.

No one form community knew about them till they got live a couple of days ago. More, when the community expressed some opinions about this new type of item staff disappeared and we still waiting for feedback from the staff about this.

http://videohive.net/forums/thread/trying-something-new-mini-bundles/98044

Note that as community we don’t pretend to command over what the staff is doing, what changes are made to the marketplace, what direction this business is going on, we also don’t ask to be informed before every change made.

The point of this comment is to point out only that not always those two points are followed when changes are made to the marketplace.

22 posts General Manager Marketplaces
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
HelenSouness says

Hey Fred

I know I am little quiet on the forums. But I am on them all the time, learning about what the community thinks and wants.

It is true that some authors may have effects up or down, with almost everything we do, or don’t do at Envato HQ. But we get a great view as a platform of how sales are tracking across the board. We really focus on getting the best results for the most authors and buyers, the whole community. We will keep focussing on this, and listening to everyone.

I can’t promise a positive impact on everyone. I wish I could :-)

Helen

2127 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

Well, as a buyer (and not an author) – I find that this system is too time consuming on my part as a buyer.

I know we’re just trying to make things better here.

I have 3 Photos I bought, all the same subject, same author, similar theme – so I have to navigate away from my Download page to rate further the item . . . it just looks like a reason to pass it up. I can however, just hit my back-button and skip it (But, then I don’t see my rating that I gave — so I have to refresh my browser to see it), but, it’s slightly a bit annoying.

As a buyer I’m in a hurry to get the item, rate it as far as it fits my project and move on.

I’m not buying something to rate it low – I wouldn’t choose it if it didn’t fit my needs. I’ve 15 pages of downloads available – and if I was a buyer who didn’t rate, or put it off until later . . . let’s just say that this system would really turn me off.

Point being – maybe there could be a pull-down or pop-up module-form (with a close button) radio-selections on my downloads page.

As an author, since I won’t be seeing reasons for the ratings, it’s useless to me (as an author).

2 cents. No harm or disrespect meant to all who worked hard on this feature, just trying to point out what I see in it.

-Cheers!

P.S. As an Author – I think it’s great that Envato is trying to get more info from buyers, but maybe this route is a bit of the long way around it.

different-themes
different-themes Recent Posts Threads Started
42 posts Different Themes
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
+5 more
different-themes says

The rating system is useless!!

Why? Because many users buy they own themes from other accounts and give 5 stars to they own items. And also many users buy other (competitors themes) , and rate it with 1 star!

This is ridiculous! I guaranty hight quality support for my themes, every customer is satisfied with it, you can read it in the item comments.

But then I get one star, but there is no negative comment, just one star! For example before 2 weeks I released a new theme, in the first hours I got the first raiting and it was 1 star, just in few hours!!! Then next users gave me two times 5 stars, and my theme rating was 3,6.

It’s really ridiculous!! None of the themes wich are in themeforest can’t be rated with 1 star, because there is a lot of work done to get the theme in themeforest!

I suggest to remove the rating system, and just add a button “like”, just like it’s in facebook, if the buyer likes the theme, he can like it.

4336 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

The rating system is useless!!

Why? Because many users buy they own themes from other accounts and give 5 stars to they own items. And also many users buy other (competitors themes) , and rate it with 1 star!

This is ridiculous! I guaranty hight quality support for my themes, every customer is satisfied with it, you can read it in the item comments.

But then I get one star, but there is no negative comment, just one star! For example before 2 weeks I released a new theme, in the first hours I got the first raiting and it was 1 star, just in few hours!!! Then next users gave me two times 5 stars, and my theme rating was 3,6.

It’s really ridiculous!! None of the themes wich are in themeforest can’t be rated with 1 star, because there is a lot of work done to get the theme in themeforest!

I suggest to remove the rating system, and just add a button “like”, just like it’s in facebook, if the buyer likes the theme, he can like it.

As an author, I agree! :)

2104 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Best moustache of Envato's Movember Australia contest
+12 more
DarkstarDesigns says

It has made it more obvious of the abuse going on in the marketplaces, you can have all 5 star rating on an item then out of no where you have a 1 or 2, with no negative feedback of emails.

I get sometime if a use emails you and askes you to do lot for them and you say no they get bitter and rate you low which i have had before.

669 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Agreeing with the last few comments that the rating system is useless, specifically for codecanyon and thereforest. I hope to someday see it being replaced with an issue tracker. The ratings say very little and leave much room for abuse.

With an issue tracker, people can log problems. This is useful to the author, and useful to future buyers so that they can go through open issues and evaluate the item. This also makes perfect sense with updates being free on all items sold.

Considering that a buyer has a valid reason to rate 1 star, this has no indication as to what the problem is and how to improve the item. This type of punitive system is damaging on items where buyers are already welcome to solicit fixes and get them for free on successive updates.

It would be nice to see a fair system that acknowledges we are fixing problems as they come up.

509 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Point being – maybe there could be a pull-down or pop-up module-form (with a close button) radio-selections on my downloads page.

This is probably where we’ll end up with a full implementation (again, this is small sampling of optional data we’re collecting as part of our research). Adding in a second page was the least intrusive way to do this for now — we’ll be turning off this feature again very soon.

509 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

These are exactly the problems we’re trying to prove and solve, sit tight!

I suggested that too in another thread and was shot down in flames :)

509 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

It would be nice to see a fair system that acknowledges we are fixing problems as they come up.

We’re trying to get there!

by
by
by
by
by
by