50 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
catherinehills says

There is also a whole lot of support required down the track if we expose buyer’s comments; we need the ability to moderate these if needed, so measuring that need is important.
Really? Why? What’s wrong with the current Flag comment feature?

Good question SurStudio. We are looking to measure this feature in advance before we make changes to the UI and the way that rating reasons are displayed. Any change to the UI takes up not only dev resources but also community ones ;).

7762 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

why losing time? why secret?

if there is a problem with my item and the buyer rated one star, give me the possibility to see what the issue is and allow me to improve the quality of my work.

if he rated five star let me know so I can brag about how awesome I am.

web marketplaces that become giants ( ebay and amazon ) have a rating comment feedback visible to anyone. there are maybe stupid? amazon and ebay? I bet whatever you want that if deleting the rating comment feedback would increase amazon sales, the first thing they would do is remove it. But they don’t do it, because they know what are the positive points for them, for their business.

if you don’t want to invest in the ratings, fine. tell us, why losing time and resources for months of feedback from buyers. This cost resources as well as just build the system. Instead of asking the devs to build up some secret rating comment system just modify that slightly and let it free.

Looks like the structure is there. Buyer rate the item, an optional comment field appears, he writes the comment if he wants, comment appears on website, everyone can see it. Put a notice: “Comment is visible to everyone” under the box and “Feedback is optional but it will help improve the item and author work” or similar.

128 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
caneration says

congrats devs! thats a great feature, we have been looking for that!

50 posts
catherinehills says

why losing time? why secret?

if there is a problem with my item and the buyer rated one star, give me the possibility to see what the issue is and allow me to improve the quality of my work.

if he rated five star let me know so I can brag about how awesome I am.

web marketplaces that become giants ( ebay and amazon ) have a rating comment feedback visible to anyone. there are maybe stupid? amazon and ebay? I bet whatever you want that if deleting the rating comment feedback would increase amazon sales, the first thing they would do is remove it. But they don’t do it, because they know what are the positive points for them, for their business.

if you don’t want to invest in the ratings, fine. tell us, why losing time and resources for months of feedback from buyers. This cost resources as well as just build the system. Instead of asking the devs to build up some secret rating comment system just modify that slightly and let it free.

Looks like the structure is there. Buyer rate the item, an optional comment field appears, he writes the comment if he wants, comment appears on website, everyone can see it. Put a notice: “Comment is visible to everyone” under the box and “Feedback is optional but it will help improve the item and author work” or similar.

Totally understand your feedback Doru, thanks for bringing this up. We know authors will benefit from more detailed feedback – but it’s important to us to make sure star ratings are effective. This is a preliminary measure and it will potentially help us make the ratings feature more useful to you in the ways you describe, if we think it’s best for the community to field feedback and rate items in this manner rather than other ways.

It’s important to us to keep our approach and motivation transparent, and make sure our community knows why we are doing what we are doing – secrecy is not the intention :). We definitely want to keep communication within the community as open as possible – stay posted as we develop this feature further with our community’s needs at the forefront of any outcome.

1040 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

I went ahead and rated an item I bought. Now in the primary reason list, I can see : “support from the author” and “customization help from the author”.

\\

Aren’t support and customizations 100% optionnal ?

287 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
candeed says

I went ahead and rated an item I bought. Now in the primary reason list, I can see : “support from the author” and “customization help from the author”.

\\

I think it’s just Envato staff’s private survey to investigate / determine the problem and to decide the best solution for the rating feature improvement.

:grin:

Just a poll to collect buyers’ opinions I guess.

7762 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

off course it is.

there should be no primary reason, only the comment feedback. let the buyer write freely and with no bias from the system.

1040 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

off course it is.

there should be no primary reason, only the comment feedback. let the buyer write freely and with no bias from the system.

Exactly. While I understand why the staff would like to measure those parameters, I don’t get how they could be part of the primary reasons.

213 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Belgium
+3 more
Playnethemes says

This is awesome! Thanks guys :)

534 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Allow me to save you some time. The reasons are going to be, support, support support and support. That’s going to be the answer for 5 star and 1 star ratings alike. Even more likely for the bad ratings, they’ll just say something insulting about the author or nothing at all.

That’s a great educated guess, but we like proving things with facts :) If it’s really clear-cut like this, shouldn’t take long to prove it!

by
by
by
by
by
by