• Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Really think you guys should share the information with us authors, whats the point of you guys just keeping it to yourself? Customization should absolutely be taken out of the canned answers.

I thought that the customization answer is a trap on purpose to see how many people actually have “issues” with it.

5541 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Really think you guys should share the information with us authors, whats the point of you guys just keeping it to yourself? Customization should absolutely be taken out of the canned answers.
I thought that the customization answer is a trap on purpose to see how many people actually have “issues” with it.

Obviously. And since this data collection planned just for a week or so, there should be no harm.

451 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

Is there any chance that you’ll change the way you’re making things? I mean, every important thing you (team) make, you get a lot of people asking to not do it that way, to change it. Why don’t you ask first, and then release the feature?

Is there any chance you’d be more supportive of our processes if you agreed with the results? :)

I think you’re being a little unfair here. Our recent focus on ratings has involved the community far more than any other in the ~14 months I’ve been here. There’s always room for improvement of course, but the reality is that no amount of communication, consultation and planning will ensure 100% support or agreement from the community.

Hopefully you agree with the next round of changes, and it’s someone else that thinks we’ve got it all horribly wrong :)

451 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

“thanks for your response… I appreciate it … I was under the impression that since you’ll are selling a product, you’ll would be obliged to provide support.

It doesn’t help when the rules are inconsistent between different authors — some provide astonishing levels of support, others none at all. We’re trying to clarify all this to buyers right now.

The first step was introducing the Item Support tab to provide a consistent place for buyers to learn about a particular author’s support policy (as well as clarifying that support & customisation are entirely optional). It finally shipped today after a fair bit of tinkering. The problem isn’t just “fixing ratings”, or just “clarifying item support” — it’s both of those and much much more.

3362 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Thanks for rolling this out for CodeCanyon as well, guys! :)

By the way, I’m curious if a character limit ended up being instituted?

991 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

Obviously. And since this data collection planned just for a week or so, there should be no harm.

I agree. The short period makes a big difference. I probably wouldn’t have even commented on this thread had I known it would be a 1-2 week thing. I was picturing several months.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

I agree. The short period makes a big difference. I probably wouldn’t have even commented on this thread had I known it would be a 1-2 week thing. I was picturing several months.

Agree that 1-2 weeks softens the blow. Personally I’m just passionate about this customization thing. Often when someone asks for a quote, their response is: ”$75? But the item only costs $10?”. But once the difference between selling stock and freelance is explained, they usually understand. So I just hate sending the wrong message about customizations when so many already have the wrong impression.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+5 more
CodingJack says

Is there any chance that you’ll change the way you’re making things? I mean, every important thing you (team) make, you get a lot of people asking to not do it that way, to change it. Why don’t you ask first, and then release the feature?

Envato is running a successful business and isn’t going to poll authors for every change. But communication is way up this year and Envato deserves credit for that.

1578 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • Philippines
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

Which communication? The communication works like this “Envato decides what to add, what to change, adds it without asking any authors or buyers anything and then releases a topic on the forum. Even if most of the authors disagree, who cares?”.

Great communication. Well done.

Envato deserves credit for improving some of the stuff. What I don’t like is the totally ignorance in treating the authors and the fact that they decide to do whatever they want instead of maybe asking the community and the buyers that use the forum what THEY would like most and not what whoever is behind the changes want.

Now we see mini bundles. Now, just tell me, who needed mini-bundles? Did anyone ever say anything about that? No, of course not. We’ve been saying that we need a better search engine, a better commenting system, we need “customization” and “support” to be taken out of the options for ratings because they are NOT NEEDED. But you still do whatever you want. I just can’t approve with you guys in this. For the rest of the effort we’re all grateful, but try to involve the community a little bit too.

5541 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Now we see mini bundles. Now, just tell me, who needed mini-bundles? Did anyone ever say anything about that? No, of course not. We’ve been saying that we need a better search engine, a better commenting system, we need “customization” and “support” to be taken out of the options for ratings because they are NOT NEEDED. But you still do whatever you want. I just can’t approve with you guys in this. For the rest of the effort we’re all grateful, but try to involve the community a little bit too.

Bundles and all the marketing gimmicks are completely different from usability features – may be we can curse through different threads. Regarding the support and customization issue, they said it is just a matter of week – no reason to worry. At least the staff manages to grasp the issues behind this, so better let them move freely.

by
by
by
by
by
by