631 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
UBLThemes says

I really think that forcing the people who rate to also leave a not-empty comment will solve all these issues. And also, again, I noticed happy customers do not rate (they don’t have time or they forget or they don’t know from where to rate) meanwhile unhappy customers ALWAYS rate. This is an issue for me at this moment.

This is so true. but unfortunately you cant make someone rate, envato are sending emails after a week of purchase etc so unfortunately this will always happen.

You do get the odd few who rate and go beyond that.

I had a really nice buyer recently who went out of there way to rate my theme on a websites comments:

http://wpmu.org/30-flat-and-funky-wordpress-themes/

These type of buyers are rare but it is nice to see there are some out there :)

12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
aribann says

With a: 4.18 average based on 123 ratings. Something other than evil customers is going on.

631 posts
+6 more
UBLThemes says

With a: 4.18 average based on 123 ratings. Something other than evil customers is going on.

?? That is not what I am on about…

4.18 is a good rating when I only have 123 reviews.

11 themes and 2 wordpress plugins

Tally which i can see in my visible rated items are:

• 5* = 67
  • 4* = 18
  • 3* = 9
  • 2* = 10
  • 1* = 10
I can guarantee that just about all of the 1 star, 2 star and 3 star are because I refuse to offer free customisations.

I value my ability and refuse to work for free just because someone wants to try and rip someone off.

Tell me is this really a bad score?

I have not had 1000’s of ratings where the 5* out weight the idiots who think they are entitled to free stuff.

This just puts my point across about buyers who think that an item or a author is bad because of bad reviews like the 1* and 2*

1 star and 2 star reviews really damage new authors because you need eight 5 star ratings just to cancel out a 1 star rating

1005 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

4.18 is not a bad score and it’s not relevant. Why?

Because you have 1091 sales and only 123 reviews, which means that only ~11.27 of buyers rated the items.

So the 4.18 it’s not defining for you, UBL.

631 posts
+6 more
UBLThemes says

4.18 is not a bad score and it’s not relevant. Why?

Because you have 1091 sales and only 123 reviews, which means that only ~11.27 of buyers rated the items.

So the 4.18 it’s not defining for you, UBL.

Thank you so much greenline :)

487 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
rayoflightt says

I just got 1 star rating because customer didn’t check preview of my template and he was surprised with template pages that he got. But if he did check preview he would see what will get in template, because it is the same as preview.

Now I’m really angry. What could be done with this kind of customers? :(

109 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Europe
themespirit says

I just got 1 star rating because customer didn’t check preview of my template and he was surprised with template pages that he got. But if he did check preview he would see what will get in template, because it is the same as preview. Now I’m really angry. What could be done with this kind of customers? :(

That sucks a big one mate! Feel bad for you. There really should be a ‘more details required’ field for 3* and below.

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
familychoice says

Simple solution get rid of rating system :p

And then you’ll get rid of the majority of buyers on here as they will have no way of making an informed purchase. What a brilliant idea.

No buyer should be anonymous and all the buyers ratings should be made available.

Ratings should have a statement area which is compulsory and there should be a breakdown in star rating.

As a buyer I’m happy to +1 adding comments to ratings, after all if I’m angry enough to give something a 1 star rating then I’m more than happy to write a few lines about how bad the product and/or support has been for that item, but all this ‘compulsory’ hardline stuff is only going to alienate customers.

Get a grip, and remember who’s paying your bills.

487 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
rayoflightt says

Informed purchase can be achieved in theme comments, not to mention that informed purchase is already achieved by preview of theme, theme information in description etc. If theme is the same as description and preview show then I don’t see there is a problem so star rating is not necessary at all. Yes it is nice when you see 5 stars for your item but I would give all my 5 stars just to remove that one 1 star rating. Like I already said that one star rating was simply because customer didn’t check preview as he should. So this way we could expect buyer to rate 1 star because he didn’t like color or font of theme. Not to mention competition authors who can buy and rate 1 star someone’s theme anytime they wish.

24 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeFluent says

1,2 and 3 stars should always have a mandatory text field and radio buttons which the user inputs.

The radio buttons should have:

• bad support
  • no customisations offered
  • item does not work
  • item has bugs

If the bad support, no customisations offered are clicked the review should be disregarded with the message about its not compulsory to offer these services and the author can not leave feedback for these reasons.

If the other 2 are given, then a report should go to envato, if so many are given then envato should investigate the item.

But the author should be able to counter a review (Leave a comment). This way the author can state, person is being dishonest because we refused to offer customisation work.

That would at least give the author a chance to defend himself against bad buyers.

+1

Really excellent idea.

This would resolve nearly all the major issues with the current rating system.

by
by
by
by
by
by