491 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
rayoflightt says

familychoice, did you try to report theme to support in case if theme and preview with description doesn’t match? Theme could be soft disabled and author would be asked to improve it.

I just don’t want to depend on customer’s conscience.

632 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
UBLThemes says

I would not go to a car dealer and buy a car, then afterwards ask for new alloy wheels, new bose audio system, new engine and then state I want this for free because I have just purchased the car from you, that is just idiotic!!!! So before commenting on something that is incorrect, please read carefully!!!!
I did read it carefully, I’m +1-ing that use of the word ‘idiot’ as a label for your customers is inappropriate. They’ve paid money for your product and so asking for free additional help maybe opportunistic, but calling them ‘idiots’ is just downright offensive. Lets just hope they’re not reading this forum as you might get a few more 1 star ratings on your products.

I am not calling everyone who asks for customisations idiots, im calling the people who rate 1 star ratings for not customising to their needs.

I have a lot of buyers who have asked and I have said we dont mind the odd css jobs but bigger jobs we will need to charge for….

And them buyers just say that is ok we will try it ourselves or they are willing to pay.

Its the people who actually say and I quote from one buyer:

This is bad support I am going to rate 1* if you don’t do it.

You’re telling me this is opinionistic? I call this blackmail, which is against the law in the UK.

Granted for a small case like this, police will not really get involved, but its still against the law!

41 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 50+ members
+2 more
IshYoBoy says

+1, The rating system definitely needs serious updates.. It seems the more Envato grows the less they care about us, the authors and the important questions problems that affect us.. That’s sad..

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
familychoice says

Its the people who actually say and I quote from one buyer:
This is bad support I am going to rate 1* if you don’t do it.

You’re telling me this is opinionistic? I call this blackmail, which is against the law in the UK.

Granted for a small case like this, police will not really get involved, but its still against the law!

I think you’ll find it probably isn’t illegal, but it’s obviously not right and I would have hoped Envato would be able to clamp down on this sort of behavior.

It seems the more Envato grows the less they care about us, the authors and the important questions problems that affect us..

I think you’ll find their indifference extends towards customers just as much as authors, but it comes with the territory. This is the bottom end of the web design/development market – most customers come here for a quick fix and will try and pay as little as they possibly can. Similarly there are a number of authors who really don’t care about the quality of their work, how they present and sell their products, and the aftercare service they promised doesn’t always materialise.

We buy items on here as a cheap solution for clients with small budgets. Sometimes they don’t work, we waste weeks trying to get things working, or products are abandoned after a year or so leaving us with the task of working out how they’ve been coded and put together. Other times we find a good product and we actually make a profit.

Overall it works out which is why we’re still here but we generally use other suppliers for themes now. I’m guessing overall it’s a good experience generally for authors on here which is why so many are clamoring to submit their products.

If you think you’re getting a bad deal from Envato though then why don’t you sell elsewhere?

507 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Hi, I haven’t read this entire thread yet, but I think I can address some of your concerns…

Its been years now with Envato saying its in the pipeline, its now been months since Envato collected information on how to push forward, and yet no update, not even a verbal update.

This is my fault, and I will update the community soon. As you pointed out below, the rating system and item comments are some of the fundamental parts of the marketplaces which we must get right. Small changes could lead to huge consequences for individual authors, so I think it’s appropriate we’re being careful (although not appropriate we’ve gone this long without news).

My personal view is that it’s not okay for authors to be held ransom to buyers for customisation work and we need to address this, but as you also noted, these are the minority. Ratings from buyers are overwhelmingly positive — 74% are 5 stars, 87% are 4 or 5 stars.

I noticed you are constantly updating the website with nice little touches which are not needed. For instance the new footer styling recently, the search function in the hidden files (rolls eyes) which to the life of me can’t undestand why that is really needed, who has that many files in the hidden section…

I can see how this would be frustrating, here’s some background behind those changes:

The footer was adjusted because we’re working our way towards a responsive design that works on a range of devices. The first page we targeted for a responsive redesign was the comment dashboard because it had the highest mobile usage, and it was providing a horrible experience to authors that were trying to answer the customer’s questions as fast as possible.

Other e-commerce sites have reported a staggering increase in transactions and revenue by moving to a responsive design, so these are important steps. It’s also worth pointing out that these changes required different developers with different skills, and didn’t distract from other important project teams like search.

Search for hidden files was a quick feature built to help the review team keep the queues moving fast. It was accidentally released to all authors as well. Again, this was handled by developers that are focused on this kind of work, and didn’t distract the team focused on item search.

But the main features which have been around for 4-5 years are still not addressed.
  • The search in comments
  • The search of the actual site items
  • The rating system
These are the main functions that make Envato marketplaces tick.

We hear you loud and clear, and completely agree that these are crucial components :) Here’s a quick status update on each:

• comment search is blocked at the moment sadly as it would be a massive distraction and duplication of work right now, which leads me to item search…
  • there’s a team dedicated to search, they’ve been working hard on consolidating our back-end search infrastructure so that we can move faster with more confidence and less duplication of work
  • we’ll be circling back to the rating system soon, as discussed above
4281 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+14 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

My massive pain is being held for randsom… this hurts… Or getting one star from a buyer that doesn’t read the manual/description, etc…

50 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
GreenTreeLabs says

My 2 cents…

I think that a rating system based on 5 levels of satisfaction is ideally good but hardly practicalble, this popular thread is the proof.

In my opinion 3 levels of rating would be enough:

1) not satisfied 2) not fully satisfied 3) satisfied

the 1) and 2) MUST be justified with a comment. If the author will think that a vote is unfair then he/she can report it to the staff, exactly how it works now for comments.

This is the point: comments are less important but authors can remove unfair ones while we have no defense against unfair ratings!

181 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
HellasDesign says

Also, I think that after a purchase, the users must get a notification for rating these items. Most of the buyers don’t even rate items because they forget it or the don’t care! A pop up notification or something like facebook’s or ebay’s notifications would be great.

373 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Like I have posted before, the rating system must become an inclusive part of the engine that drives sales. Right now potential buyers need to scan the comments that are part “congrats” type, part testimonials, part support requests. The buyer should be channeled to the reviews sections where buyers rate and give their review (Amazon is the king in this, but it’s not the only one). We live in a social world. How come Envato is so far behind on this? There is no real incentive to promote a constructive dialogue between buyers and authors. I don’t mind getting a 1 star if it is follow by reasons. If it is not then it’s up to the rest of the buyers to decide. Even a 4 or 5 star rating is much more valuable when it’s followed by a truly informed mini review. Also some buyers may not even need to do a review or give a rating, they could just vote up another review+rating that they agree with.

Come on, the patterns are already out there. No need to invent anything.

507 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Also, I think that after a purchase, the users must get a notification for rating these items. Most of the buyers don’t even rate items because they forget it or the don’t care! A pop up notification or something like facebook’s or ebay’s notifications would be great.

We already send email reminders for unrated purchases. When/if we have a something like a notification centre” I agree this would be a great candidate for a notification :)

by
by
by
by
by
by