• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
flashato says

I m in the process of buying a DSRL + some lens, and I m doing strong research and reading tons of reviews(That’s why this tread).From the different place like B&H, Amazon, and other, i can see what user like and don t like, i can see the rating they give and the motivation on why they give this rate,and,most important I can judge if the guy complaint for something I don’t care(the lens is too heavy,too expensive..I bought this lens for my sister wedding and all my pic are out of focus)

I can really have a more precise judgment on the product based on the reviews and the rates.Not mention that I can see the who is the author of the review, his web page,other reviews, work he/she did … Finally I have good elements to make me an idea.
Here at Envato, nothing.
Just some stars.that’s it. Why the customers make this rate? mystery
what are the pro and cons?mystery
Who is rating ? Super mystery

From a buyer POV , there very few element to judge a part preview, description and some great ! cool!amazing. This is my first point.
Second Point.
I run a business from more than 10 years now, (No visual stuff involved), and our best improvements came after some “bad reviews” .We look very closely at the customer reviews, when they complain we look why and fix it, then next reviews are about how great was that improvement.
you get the point.
As an author, I will be very happy to know what user like or don t like in order to provide a better product, not to mention how useful would be who is making the review.
At the end of the day if you give a judgment on something you should expose yourself and explain the reasons. I will really happy to know the reason of this rating system(if we are allowed :) ), and what do you guys think about

Arthur

PS I know this is not the first tread on this,

5035 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I’ll second that motion (again)

Ebay sellers live and die by their rating. Most serious market place sites have a solid and transparent rating system. Knowing your customer and how they feel about your product means a real difference between making money or not making money.

As Envato authors we work completely in the dark – we have no way of knowing our market. I mean why do purchasers rate audio tracks or motion graphics with 3 stars? They saw / heard it, they liked it, they bought it. The file they download is identical to the preview. So why not 5? Unless the rating system is changed, we’ll never know. There are plenty of websites with ratings systems out there to base it on…. you don’t need to reinvent the wheel.

The stars system is actually worse than useless… it’s damaging and misleading. I would have to say please fix this soon or remove it completely.

I can live without ‘Fun Fact’ and so on, but this is urgent.

-f.

265 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Finland
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
SubsonicDesign says

I fully agree to both of you! As I’ve bought many files myself (mostly Wordpress themes) I never even look at 3 stars files because I know that I’m not going to get any explanation why those files are rated so poorly.

If I could see some explanation of the rating given to a specific file I would investigate more and maybe even buy a file with a not so good rating if the bad parts won’t affect me.

Personally I haven’t yet got a rating for any of my files but if I’d see that one of my files has a rating of three stars and no comments attached I would freak out. How can you make your file better if you only see that people don’t like it, but they don’t tell you why?

432 posts butlerm.com
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Beta Tester
+10 more
butlerm says

I can live without ‘Fun Fact’ and so on, but this is urgent. -f.

totally agree…. basically it would be better if it was a rating from 1-100 instead of 1-5 or at least take the average like 4.75 instead of rounding down to 4

432 posts butlerm.com
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Beta Tester
+10 more
butlerm says

-

2336 posts Small, but tough
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

I can live without ‘Fun Fact’ and so on, but this is urgent. -f.
totally agree…. basically it would be better if it was a rating from 1-100 instead of 1-5 or at least take the average like 4.75 instead of rounding down to 4

Good point.

854 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Beta Tester
+5 more
MotionRevolver Reviewer says

Although I’m new to the marketplace, I think a more detailed reviewing system would be highly beneficial to the artists who go above and beyond to make their project files and motion graphics stand out from the rest.

I don’t mind the star system though. It’s very simple and easy for buyers to interpret whether a file or animation is worth looking into.

In the instance of AE project files, it might be worth while to have a few categories listed such as “Ease of Customization”, “Project Flexibility”, “Documentation/tutorial/support”, etc. as well as a space to write a short paragraph reviewing what is good and/or what could be better about the project.

Although, I feel that it’s already difficult enough to get buyers to rate the items they purchase in the first place, so adding complexity to the reviewing process might be a hinderance.

I do think that one of the easiest steps to make would simply be attempting to get as many reviews from purchasers as possible. It seems as though maybe only 25% of people who buy files actually rate the product.

Does Envato send follow-up emails to buyers who purchased a file, asking them to rate their purchase? If not, maybe they should send a quick email a couple days after a buyer makes a purchase, asking them to rate 1-5 stars on the product.

And maybe that can buyer rating be accomplished within the email, so that the user doesn’t have to come back to the Envato marketplace to rate specific purchases?

I’m rambling now… but those are my thoughts!

• Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

@MotionRevolver, same thing crossed my mind, but it’s way too complicated for envato I believe. The best they can do is to make the rating with commas instead of rounding.

854 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Beta Tester
+5 more
MotionRevolver Reviewer says

@MotionRevolver, same thing crossed my mind, but it’s way too complicated for envato I believe. The best they can do is to make the rating with commas instead of rounding.

I agree. Envato is so great because of how simple it is. I suppose I was just listing those things as a “wish list” sort of thing, but implementing any of my suggestions would really just hinder the friendly user experience.

This might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but since Envato already has the rating system for individual project files, maybe they could have a rating system for authors… kinda like eBay?

If an author has a rating of “4.7 out of 5” based on the quality and support of his files, that author could be considered to be a reliable author.

• Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

It does have, take a look :)

by