5220 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

The simplicity is a problem though.

For instance I had someone write a while back that they thought the project was great, but marked it down to a 4 because they would have preferred to have had 1920×1080. But this project is clearly advertised as 1280×720. It’s that size for a very good reason too.

I even have a project with 3 stars at the moment… although I can’t think for the life of me why.

I also have countless motion graphics with less than five stars, although what you download is exactly what you see in the preview.

And this is exactly the problem… buyers of a file might assume that a lower star rating means the file isn’t top quality, but low ratings seem to be for any number of random reasons.

-f.

593 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
flashato says

The simplicity is a problem though.

For instance I had someone write a while back that they thought the project was great, but marked it down to a 4 because they would have preferred to have had 1920×1080. But this project is clearly advertised as 1280×720. It’s that size for a very good reason too.

I even have a project with 3 stars at the moment… although I can’t think for the life of me why.

I also have countless motion graphics with less than five stars, although what you download is exactly what you see in the preview.

And this is exactly the problem… buyers of a file might assume that a lower star rating means the file isn’t top quality, but low ratings seem to be for any number of random reasons.

-f.

That ’s the point, if I know they give a low rating because of the size, I (as a buyer) don’t care because it is clearly advertised and it is ok for me .
As for the 3 stars project you and other buyers will probably NEVER know why.
I just think in going to buy a Zeiss Prime lens on the net, a base my choice just on a number of stars… :)

126 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
VProxy says

Earlier i got a Background animation in Motiongraphics section which was rated one star by the buyers, because of that i deleted that item later. I never understood why these people rated it one star.

I was so curious about knowing why they rated it one star.But non of the buyers commented it. Around 15 people bought it also. Later i deleted the item because it was looking bad in my portfolio.

I felt its all big Question Mark….

1315 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

I have only posted 5-star ratings for everything I’ve bought here, and have given everything I’ve bought across Envato marketplaces 5-star ratings. agree some better detail or other system may be helpful; as it is, it’s not clear why someone would buy something then give it less than 5 stars unless there was problems with it that aren’t apparent.

What Is useful to me, is for example I see something with 8+ purchases but not a 5-star rating, meaning none of the buyers thought it was any good, that’s helpful to me in knowing what to avoid buying… or say 12-15 purchases but no stars rating, that’s a red flag, so that information is helpful. Not sure what they could do differently, as there are comments posted for dialogue that buyers/sellers can post to. And most buyers don’t take time to rate. I have posted both comments and 5-star ratings for everything I’ve bought, but that’s not the norm.

222 posts What dreams may come...
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
VideoMagus says

:D Oh, all that absurd current rating system has been discussed and criticized so many times as long as I’m here by all the marketplaces authors and by myself as well.. But still it looks like there is some powerful lobby behind, with some hidden reasons… So the only way to live in peace with your low-rated files – just to take it in the “tourist class” style… when a 3-4-star hotel is generally taking just as a not excellent luxury but still pretty fine bargain quality :)

Seriously, there are surprisingly too many unfairly under-rated and unrated files… But it also could be taken as a blame for the ‘bad’ reviewing control… Though all of us know what the hard surgery job do all Envato’s reviewers… I’m sure one of the simple improvements for the existing model should be in starting from the default 5 active stars… And who is really not-satisfied will def rate it later down… a bit… Just imagine all these beautiful 5-4 star columns in the listings… ;)

3135 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

That ’s the point, if I know they give a low rating because of the size, I (as a buyer) don’t care because it is clearly advertised and it is ok for me .
As for the 3 stars project you and other buyers will probably NEVER know why.
I just think in going to buy a Zeiss Prime lens on the net, a base my choice just on a number of stars… :)

You can rent lenses and try them before you buy them, kid. I do that whenever Im looking to buy a new lens…

3135 posts
+4 more
Daniel_R says

-f.

I may know why users may be given you low ratings, Felt. I will send you an email.

5220 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

-f.
I may know why users may be given you low ratings, Felt. I will send you an email.

Yeah… send me an email. I’m curious.

-f.

3135 posts
+4 more
Daniel_R says

-f.

Yeah… send me an email. I’m curious.

-f.

just replied…

by
by
by
by
by
by