17 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
quosik says

I think it’s time to discuss and remind Envato of rating system that is still missing essential features. I’ve been suggesting this for 2 years now and I’ve been told by Envato Support that it’s “in the pipeline” or it’s “future plan”. But when is it going to happen? I think it’s such an important update for ALL authors…

The problem is not actually “rating system” but some customers that require special treatment. See my screenshot for possible solution and actual problems that authors are encountering. Isn’t it easy to change?

\\ LARGE IMAGE

Main changes I would suggest are:
  • Add necessary comments when some rates items less than 5 stars.
  • For me 1-star rating is when you don’t get item at all or it’s faulty (see ebay ratings for reference). In case of Envato marketplaces both 1 & 2 can’t occur because you always get an item and it’s always working one! Review ensures that. Review also ensures great quality of items – so why would anyone rate anything 1 star? Or 2 stars? Perhaps only because they don’t know how to use it… If someone rates something 1 star – perhaps ignore such rating? It must be always mistaken. None of the items on Envato marketplaces deserve it.
  • Change average rating to median?
  • Why only 20% of TOP100 TF authors have 5 stars ratings? Isn’t it inaccurate? I purchased items from them – I’m familiar with WordPress and I had literary 0 problems with support and themes they offer. I always rated them 5 stars.
  • Delete past ratings – leave only ratings from current items or from past year or two.
  • Give authors opportunity to review/update items based on client feedback and have clients re-rate items.

The main problem: poor ratings often come from inexperienced customers and not faulty items. And if they come from faulty items – items usually get updated and ratings don’t.

Let’s discuss!

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

Howdy quosik!

Some great feedback and ideas here, I appreciate you sharing them. :)

I agree ratings could probably use a lot more work, it’s far from perfect. We did change it semi-recently to allow users to re-rate in case an author fixed something. However, I personally think the multiple star rating approach depending on category is a neat idea that’s been suggested a few times.

We’ve got about one million plus feature requests at the moment, but myself and the community team will keep an eye on this thread and take down any new notes or suggestions that arise :)

5175 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Good suggestions, Quosik. I’d just like to add that an updated rating system would not only be fairer to authors, but also much more useful to buyers.

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Romania
Sebyddd says

Quosik i am whit you ! I think this should be implemented way earlier !

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

• Why only 20% of TOP100 TF authors have 5 stars ratings? Isn’t it inaccurate? I purchased items from them – I’m familiar with WordPress and I had literary 0 problems with support and themes they offer. I always rated them 5 stars.
  • One of the challenges is that a buyer’s experience with a product is often related to their individual skill level. But this is why ratings feedback would be very helpful. Because so many of us who end up with a sub-par rating wonder, “Is there actually something I could improve here or is this just bad luck?”

1411 posts
    • Contributed a blog post
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
    • Located in Europe
    • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
    +7 more
    Stylius says

I agree that the rating system needs changes, but, you’re forgetting that there are five stars for a reason. If it were to you, every author would have 5 starts, wouldn’t they? Sometimes (believe me, it happens) there are serious bugs with some items. For instance, I purchased a theme from TF a few months ago, and I couldn’t upload media via WP, I had to wait some days for an update. I preferred not rating that item at all instead of giving a bad rate. Maybe buyers need some items immediately and they do not have time for updates, moreover, there are authors who are giving really bad support, I don’t think that authors like those deserve 5 stars, or 4 stars.

If a buyer thinks that the quality of an item is not a good one, and (s)he wants to rate it with one or two stars, they must have the right to do so.

Besides that, I strongly agree with the feedback thing. Buyers should be able to inform authors about the file when they are rating them. I know that comments have a similar purpose, but the feedback could be private, so only authors could know why the buyer rated the file as they did.

678 posts
    • Has referred 10+ members
    • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
    • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
    +3 more
    ZtarrZound says

I think it’s time to discuss and remind Envato of rating system that is still missing essential features. I’ve been suggesting this for 2 years now and I’ve been told by Envato Support that it’s “in the pipeline” or it’s “future plan”.
    Great suggestions. Crazy that Envato seems to take so long to implement what seems like no brainer improvements. Same goes for search improvements which are supposedly long coming for 2 years now…
    92 posts Be different!
    • Has referred 500+ members
    • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
    • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
    +3 more
    UnitedThemes says

Hi,

well what Quosik already picked out, is that there are only 1 star ratings or 5, there is nearly nothing in between. I’ve already read several threads about this topic and I’m finally astonished that an envato stuff member wrote the first answer ;) Thumbs up Drew

I think its been suggested a lot of times, but the amazon rating system is going into the right direction.

• in order to keep the rating constructive , ratings should be optional (as it is now)
    • a rating should not be abusive
    • the rating should describe the theme functionality ( not the compatibility with the tons of plugins out there)
    • bad ratings which are resulting out of the lack of knowledge about the very basic WordPress configuration or installing a theme should be removed ( I think a take down button for author would be nice)
    • The Author should be able to contact the customer (rating author). To keep the customer privacy, we would need some kind of an internal message system.

Cheers UT

17 posts
    quosik says

I think its been suggested a lot of times, but the amazon rating system is going into the right direction.

• in order to keep the rating constructive , ratings should be optional (as it is now)
    • the rating should describe the theme functionality ( not the compatibility with the tons of plugins out there)
    • bad ratings which are resulting out of the lack of knowledge about the very basic WordPress configuration or installing a theme should be removed ( I think a take down button for author would be nice)
    • The Author should be able to contact the customer (rating author). To keep the customer privacy, we would need some kind of an internal message system.

That’s a great set of changes! Very creative and useful approach. I agree with everything you said here.

52 posts
    • Has referred 200+ members
    • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
    • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
    +6 more
    minti says

That’s a great set of changes! Very creative and useful approach. I agree with everything you said here.

+1

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by