• Member of the Envato Team
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+7 more
Jordan_M
Envato team
says

Also – I just wanted to say again thank you to everyone who has been giving us their feedback on these kinds of issues. It’s extremely useful for us to know what issues are painful and how you feel they can be fixed. I would like to reiterate that we absolutely and genuinely care about the experience you all have with the Marketplaces – we too want them to be the best they can be and we’re working to deliver that – it’s in our best interests as well!

8176 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Achieved the monthly Community Superstar Award
  • Located in Europe
+6 more
doru
says

What I understand is this (correct me if I’m wrong):

The development team is working on rewriting big part of the marketplace code (or maybe all :shocked: ) because the marketplace got so big and the old framework is not adequate anymore. Because this new framework is currently developed, it makes no sense to implement front end features for the old framework, features that will need to be recreated once the new frameworks is completed.

So, we must wait for this new system to be implemented, then a part of the team can start working in redesigning the author and user experience on the marketplace.

6224 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+11 more
VF
says

^ Probably that could be the reason, easy to assume. While doing long and strong upgrades, it is important to spend fraction of time and resource for patch works on existing framework; to make sure user experience doesn’t go below certain quality for “todays customer”.

Part of the negativity we see in this community is exactly due to lack of iterations in reasonable time; (even on licensing areas) otherwise it used to be very healthy and positive in the past.

501 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Became a Top 20 Author of the Month
+9 more
pixelentity
says

I would like to reiterate that we absolutely and genuinely care about the experience you all have with the Marketplaces – we too want them to be the best they can be and we’re working to deliver that – it’s in our best interests as well!
Jordan, pretty much all authors are just “mad” about the current rating system and you’ve been told that for years. It makes no difference for Envato because, as somebody else already pointed out, if a buyer skip a theme rated 3-4, he’ll probably buy another one rated 5. But it’s a huge problem for each individual author.

The worst thing that can happen after working months on an item is not getting poor sales, it’s getting a one star rating early which will destroy item reputation and most likely kills its sales. Do you know what it means to hold your breath until you reach 3 ratings and you can finally your new item stars ? We do and i can assure it’s not nice. Even after that, until you get a decent amount of ratings, you’re still each buyer b..ch to avoid the damn 1 star rating but, now matter how much you work your a.s for free, it can still happen.

We asked and asked and asked again to change this madness but in vain. We keep being told Envato listen to us, if that’s true then do something about it because nice words and generic promises have no effect on (most) of us anymore.

BF

3757 posts
  • Became a Top 20 Author of the Month
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
pezflash
says

And let’s put a dirty thing on the table:
I can bet 80% of the big/medium authors here has secondary accounts or friend accounts and they use it to keep ratings high, at least for the first days since published, or secure a good average rating over the time. And this is caused due to the lacky rating system built up when this was the 1% business that is nowadays.

Sorry, but imho this makes absolutely non-sense, but obviously benefits Envato with some extra earnings.

:(

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
Australia
says

Ooh a can of worms

2054 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
bitfade
says

And let’s put a dirty thing on the table:
I can bet 80% of the big/medium authors here has secondary accounts or friend accounts and they use it to keep ratings high, at least for the first days since published, or secure a good average rating over the time. And this is caused due to the lacky rating system built up when this was the 1% business that is nowadays.

Sorry, but imho this makes absolutely non-sense, but obviously benefits Envato with some extra earnings.

:(
+1.

and i’ll add more: competition is soo high here that secondary accounts could be used for other purpose too. More extra sales.

many thanks to this rating system.

121 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+2 more
rabidflash
says

^ I’m confused..how exactly is the proposed new system going to solve this dirty business?? Woduln’t the users still be able to do whatever they’re doing now, even with a newer system (atleast, in the case of promoting own items)?

8176 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Achieved the monthly Community Superstar Award
  • Located in Europe
+6 more
doru
says

Probably by asking buyers to add a small comment describing why they rated low a certain item, one could prevent this hypothetical “buy other people items – rate one star” tactic.

637 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
Thecodingdude
says

You know what? I think the entire rating system should be chucked out and started over.

If you want to make a rating you must first purchase the item (obviously) and then post with your account. Although it isn’t fair, imposing a limit would be a good idea, such as registered at least 3 months – this removes new members signing up and spamming the ratings system.

And, as Doru’s brilliant picture above shows, there is a rating and a comment with the name of who left it. Comments should be between 250-500 words and for your first ever review, a moderator should check that it isn’t just spam.

Furthermore, much like these forums, you can “report” the false rating and it will be hidden from public view (and subsequently the overall rating is adjusted until it is either removed or put back).

Finally, reviews can only be edited for up to 15 minutes (again, like the forum) and if you abuse the system, your rights to review items is permanently revoked.

Moderation is required on the ratings system to stop abuse. Just my feedback….

by
by
by
by
by
by