17 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
quosik says

I think ratings are overrated. I’d remove them alltogether, they’re too easy abused by jumpy buyers and unfair authors.

I think that Envato marketplaces contain only high quality and unique items and authors spend a lot of time providing good designs, code, documentations and support. And authors that have “blue steel paw” or “green paw” often fully deserve 5 stars but they don’t get them and major reason is inexperienced client and not faulty item. I agree that some clients will take a very close look at item they purchased and they will find real issues but most of the time it’s just customers ask for basic installation or configuration and they blame author that server doesn’t work (even if they have videos and documentation that they don’t read). We’re serving 250 support requests weekly (that’s a request an hour) and I see here large potential for improvements.

More suggestions:
  • Imagine: my item have 100 stars and it’s 5 star rating. After two months I notice it has 101 stars and 4 star rating! Questions I ask myself: “What!? So, customers don’t like my item? I thought most of them rate it 5 stars because I think it’s very well done but no – at least 50% of them must have voted for 4 stars and 50% for 5 stars… but maybe 90% voted 5 stars and only a couple gave it 1 star for no reason?” Stats and comments would be useful. It’s very important marketing tool for authors. I hope you see the point. Item had 5 stars for 60 days and on 61st day it has 4 stars. And it’s out of nowhere… how am I supposed to know why is that if no one said anything and just rated?
  • Let author “report” not constructive feedback and have it removed. If someone gives 1 star and writes comment like “I don’t like this item” – it shouldn’t be considered because it doesn’t mean anything. This is not objective reason. Maybe client just didn’t know how to use it or he was upset with support that is often busy and must reply with canned responses (support shouldn’t be a part of rating in my opinion).
773 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
StudioEtude says

I think ratings are overrated. I’d remove them alltogether, they’re too easy abused by jumpy buyers and unfair authors.
+100 Probably, the number of sales, this is the same rating…
7305 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

quosik why don’t you post this with your real account?

92 posts Be different!
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
UnitedThemes says

Does his real identity change something? Like the essence of his post? I guess not, but its always funny to see how people are going off topic instead of taking part in this conversation and writing down some constructive feedback.

@ SportTips : The idea of turning rating comments into testimonials is a quite good idea.

7305 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Does his real identity change something? Like the essence of his post? I guess not, but its always funny to see how people are going off topic instead of taking part in this conversation and writing down some constructive feedback.

yes it change many things.

and this is not offtopic as you believe, and is not funny since improving rating system had been asked for like two or maybe three years now, so believe me I’m in no mood for laughs

but I’m waiting for an answer from quosik if you don’t mind.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
wihac says

Hi there,

As a new joiner to envato (I’ve opened up my credit-card three times already: keep buying more & more), I think the BIGGEST rating issue, is the inability to read the comments attached to a rating.

If someone is going to give a 1 or 2 star, then they should have to disclose their reasons. Why? So that others can read & judge if those reasons are relevant to their business needs. Amazon is a good example of this: you can read reviews by “stars” assigned, high-or-low.

The reasons I give a rating, versus the reasons why an advanced user would rate, are different. We’re intelligent adults however. I read through comments before buying to see what the customer support has been like. Being able to clearly read why someone was given a low star rating would be useful. If a customer gives a one-star rating, because they wanted swirly wirly elephants flying out of their computer or some obscure script issue, then I know that I can disregard those rankings. At present, we don’t know why people get low stars.

As a newbie the issues which concern me are simplicity orientated: such as clarity of user guide, multiple unique examples in the file (to work off, we’re still learning) neatness of script & customer support. These are not the same issues which an advanced user would consider when rating.

Some advanced users seem to think too highly of the quality of all the products put in here. I’ve come across several products that are full of unhappy customers, because the product is touted as working with X device or on X browser, but doesn’t actually work. Refunds have been issued on multiple products whose comments I’ve been reading through.

For those of us who are new to all of this, having only hand-coded html for years, rating & reasons for ratings would be very helpful.

I’ve given all 5 stars so far, except for one developer, due to a fundamental design flaw, (content was forcibly made to disappear in the mobile version of the product) which they then asked me to pay $40 an hour to fix. I decided to not pursue a refund, but that developer is firmly on my not-buying in future list.

Please bear in mind, that a lot of first-time / light users of Envato wouldn’t bother coming into these forums to have a look around: they’ll be busy gawking at the wonderful products on sale. So the views that seem to be dominating this discussion are likely to be dominated by advanced users & developers. Customers like it simple. K.I.S.S.

1407 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Europe
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+7 more
Stylius says

And authors that have “blue steel paw” or “green paw” often fully deserve 5 stars but they don’t get them and major reason is inexperienced client and not faulty item.

Please explain me why is that. Why do top authors deserve 5 stars? how ratings are related to the number of files you sale? I can promote very well my items , and still, those items can have poor quality, bugs, and so on. You assume that all the files from Envato Marketplaces are top quality and all deserve 5 stars. As I explained earlier, it does not work like that. Many items have serious bugs, they are not top quality or they are not what the buyer expected, some items have poor documentation, and there are authors (even top authors) who give sh”t support, and most of the times they say: wait for the update and the bug will be fixed. As you imagine, a buyer won’t give 5 stars for something that he had to wait days so it could be fixed. The buyers deserve the right to give 1 star if they feel so, and deleting the ratings that you don’t like is bull”hit. What is the point of the rating system if you delete the ratings that you don’t like? Let’s all have 5 stars and delete the rating system at all!! Would that be fair?

17 posts
quosik says

yes it change many things.

and this is not offtopic as you believe, and is not funny since improving rating system had been asked for like two or maybe three years now, so believe me I’m in no mood for laughs

but I’m waiting for an answer from quosik if you don’t mind.

I’m using secondary account because I used almost original comments in my first post left by users just yesterday. I don’t want them feel that it’s about them. We’re top 100 author with 250 support requests weekly so I think we’ve got some valuable information to provide here.

We are really trying to deliver excellent items. We pay a lot of attention to support, ratings and customer satisfaction and yet our items are in between 5 and 4 stars. And when I look at top 100 authors, only 20% of them have 5 stars!

I don’t think it’s fair because I feel like we deserve 5 stars or if not – we would like to see constructive feedback from clients – what are we doing wrong? We will fix it then and have 5 stars on all items for sure! It’s annoying to do our best and still be rated 4 stars instead of 5 (and we don’t know why?). It’s conuter-productive. Give us opportunity to get straight, clear feedback from clients and let us improve products based on it and not based on our predictions (“hmm, we might be doing X wrong or even Y but I’m not sure because there is no feedback”).

That are objective facts :)

5899 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

The main problem: poor ratings often come from inexperienced customers and not faulty items. And if they come from faulty items – items usually get updated and ratings don’t.

Exactly this is why the entire rating system can’t be taken as legitimate (with whatever improvements – here or ebay or amazon). Most professional / skillful buyers know it already and they depend on their ability to select items with their own way rather than ratings, Elite and few other fancy icons.

Always there will be some buyers to hit 1 star just to get some stress relief on that day, we supposed to NOT ask them reasons as that may lead to random feature requests! :D (Seriously that is the huge loss for an author – you will loss rating + now you will work for out of scope / random requests)

However regardless of it gives good results or not, Envato should find a way to display ratings with break-down approach similar to Amazon. This will at-least give psychological relief to the authors from false / misunderstood ratings and buyers will get real picture about the item.

Btw, do we really need new threads for this? Pipeline already reached imaginary lengths :D, there is no meaning with feedback / suggestions at all.

101 posts Live Long and Prosper
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
DryThemes says

I don’t have that “Ratings” menu option in my items. I assume that’s just for elite authors?
Khm, khm… Anyone? :)
by
by
by
by
by
by