• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Australia
+2 more
Jordan_M Staff says

disclaimer: just a bit of fun, no hard feelings hopefully :)

Hey guys, I appreciate that you’re all frustrated and want improvements to things like ratings/support etc – we (Envato) wants that too, but there are reasons things don’t move as quickly as we all wish that they could. Vahid will be posting his quarterly update very soon (I’ve seen a draft).

I get that this was a joke and I’m certain no offence would be taken, and we all need to have a laugh from time to time – but I’d like to ask that you all be respectful of the dev team and everyone else on these forums for that matter too. The devs work extremely hard, a lot of the time on problems you guys wouldn’t be thinking about. They most certainly are not lying in hammocks on the beach! :P

That said, I appreciate the frustrations and seeming lack of movement (please keep in mind the behind the scenes work which goes into the operation of sites on the scale of the Marketplaces – and how quickly we’re needing to scale the business to match) and threads like this have great feedback which we do monitor and all take to heart. I can’t wait until the day where we deliver a more robust ratings system too.

Jords

688 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Costa Rica
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
cooledition says

disclaimer: just a bit of fun, no hard feelings hopefully :)

Hey guys, I appreciate that you’re all frustrated and want improvements to things like ratings/support etc – we (Envato) wants that too, but there are reasons things don’t move as quickly as we all wish that they could. Vahid will be posting his quarterly update very soon (I’ve seen a draft).

I get that this was a joke and I’m certain no offence would be taken, and we all need to have a laugh from time to time – but I’d like to ask that you all be respectful of the dev team and everyone else on these forums for that matter too. The devs work extremely hard, a lot of the time on problems you guys wouldn’t be thinking about. They most certainly are not lying in hammocks on the beach! :P

That said, I appreciate the frustrations and seeming lack of movement (please keep in mind the behind the scenes work which goes into the operation of sites on the scale of the Marketplaces – and how quickly we’re needing to scale the business to match) and threads like this have great feedback which we do monitor and all take to heart. I can’t wait until the day where we deliver a more robust ratings system too.

Jords

Why dont you just hire 2 or 3 coders from code canyon for 1 or 2 weeks and make a new rating system? it will cost envato what, $2000 or $3000? im pretty sure envato can pay that and you guys will make 99% of authors happy.

Really guys that is f* easy to do, i mean, hire 2 or 3 coders from code canyon to do the job for you in the next 2 weeks, come on!

In the future there will be strongers competitors for Envato and if you guys react that slow, then you will lose a lot of the market!

We know you guys work in a lot of things behind the scenes or at least thats what i want to believe, but if after 3 years you guys still dont change the rating system that is crazy. I mean whats the problem? no enough web masters? then hire MORE , you guys make millions of dollars at month, i dont get it!

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

+1 agree.

Why engage devs to just fix errors and problems etc.

I’m not aware of any company, large or small, that is complacent enough to not expand their business inline with revenue generated. Perhaps things aren’t so rosey at E’HQ

If people keep dropping the coffin, get more people to carry the bugger

17 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
quosik says

Jords

Hmm, so authors need to wait next 6 or 12 months, till July 2013 (hopefully that soon) to start getting feedback from customers? And till that time I still have to guess why people are rating items 4 stars and not 5? I still don’t have any tool for tracking what people want, why are they not fully satisfied and it’s frustrating. And I assume thousands of other authors would find it useful (even if they don’t participate in this discussion – perhaps they just don’t know that things can be better and they take what you give them without complaints).

I’m complaining in good faith to improve marketplaces, increase productivity of authors and finally give authors clear feedback from customers. No feedback = wasted time for thousands of authors (especially those starting small businesses thanks to Envato – they need more tools).

The decision we’ve made so far in our small team that works for you: “Don’t care about 20% of people who rate item 1 to 4 stars (because we don’t know why is that) and focus to achieve 80% of happy customers and we are fine with having all items 4 stars (although we could do improvements if we had feedback)”.

And now, let’s say you will add feedback and rating statistics in July 2013. Our items and our account will still remain with 4 stars on average because we registered in 2009 or 2010 and old, poor ratings without feedback will follow us (5 years without “rating tools” = 5 years of decreased ratings because we don’t get feedback from customers). Will we be compensated? Like ratings reset? Perhaps no. So, we will always remain “not that reliable author”. Please consider that, too. At least deleting ratings of deleted items would be a good move for old authors. You can make it “rating per item” only and not global author rating that in our case will decrease our realiability after improvements.

No offence – I’m respectful of the very awesome dev team you have and everyone else here but I’m just suggesting something that thousands of people can benefit from. It’s like upgrade to search engine you did recently – millions of people benefit from it and now thousands of authors can benefit from new rating system. It seems like one of the priority tasks to me.

629 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Thecodingdude says

Jords

Jordan_M, you know that this answer just doesn’t wash with the community now. How many times have we heard you say the same thing in every one of these threads.

There is no excuse what so ever for not implementing these features. I won’t respect the developers because they are absolutely useless. I know as a developer that whilst you always aim to build and sustain your service you also have to innovate and keep moving forward – something that you guys haven’t done for years.

Look at it this way – Tuts+ got hacked and this was a pathetically easy thing to avoid – if you can’t even employ the basic security techniques then I really feel sorry for the marketplaces here as they will never ever be improved, only when it is too late.

Also, if lack of developers is a problem, why not hire 2-3 JUST to work on new features (and only new features). What’s your excuse for that one?

83 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+1 more
DOTonPAPER says

I’m curious … why are you people blaming the developers and are mad at the support staff? They don’t set priorities and hire people.

7178 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

I’m curious … why are you people blaming the developers and are mad at the support staff? They don’t set priorities and hire people.

I can’t speak for everyone but I have nothing with the developers. :) They just do the job they are told to do.

5756 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Exactly, the staff who communicates here and the developers behind the entire system receives unnecessary blame while they definitely deserve respect.

Anyway all the negative feedbacks are reaching to those who decides things, right? Or such things are already blocked before reach?

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

we only had a change in rating system which no author liked. It was supposed to be the first step, so far it has been the only one. There were infinite discussions/suggestions in the/coming from the community about this subject, If nothing happens, devs are not the ones to blame.

3069 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

Devs need to work with passion to make better things. In their place I will have worked on the rating system and then showcased and supported it in front of the boss before it’s uploaded online. After that I will wake up because enough dreaming!

by
by
by
by
by
by