8176 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Achieved the monthly Community Superstar Award
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in Europe
+6 more
doru
says

@doru greatest of respect but you are talking out of your backside. No offence. By definition a developer “develops” if he isnt developing then the infrastructure needs reworking.

you are wrong

they are not independent developers and they don’t do what they want like me (and probably you)

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
wickedpixel
says

I guess the best thing we can do is to make suggestions like quosik made with the first post. From what I remember, there were many posts asking for improvements on the rating system… but this one, because was this well argued, got more attention from staff. Which I think is a good thing. :)

639 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
Crakken
says

Guys, they can’t just hire two – three people on here because they are top authors and open their databases to these authors… For two days!? That’s already too much. I’m not going to talk about how they should choose developers to hire, because I know that they can handle that by themselves . As some of you said it, it’s not about the developers (respect to them) ... And I don’t wanna know whose fault it is :whistle: , I just know that these guys are not just having fun (as we can see it in their Flickr photos), they are working hard on the back-end (that’s the problem… if there are about 10 developers, why not assign at least five on the back-end and 5 on the front-end). But, yeah, Quosik is right… they have to be faster than that.
~ Nick Rameau

17 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
quosik
says

I guess the best thing we can do is to make suggestions like quosik made with the first post. From what I remember, there were many posts asking for improvements on the rating system… but this one, because was this well argued, got more attention from staff. Which I think is a good thing. :)

Good idea. We can at least prepare a complete list of suggestions. A lot of good ones have been already brought up here.

If it’s already known that we will have to wait half an year, an year or more for things to improve – let it be that way BUT ….... from my perspective if you ignore our requests now (or can’t do them because you’re busy with other things) you should at least consider the following situation:

Authors who have registered in 2009 and are now in TOP100 with 4 stars on average would have probably had 5 stars on average if they had enough feedback attached to ratings during past 5 years ( SEE THIS ). I’m willing to wait more – no problem – but as long as you do something about this issue – we don’t want to be left with 1000 stars (4 on average) forever because we got many not objective ones (from inexperienced customers) during first 5 years. As you see – we have no way to do anything about unknown ratings.

I will be FULLY SATISFIED if you consider also the fact that old authors didn’t have access to “rating+feedback” solution during years 2009-2012 and they couldn’t act upon any negative feedback. New author that will register in 2013 (with “rating+feedback” improvement done) will surely have a lot more opportunities to fix potential issues and they will always have 5 stars on average (unless they are really bad) and old authors will be left with 4 stars on average all the time :( Maybe it doesn’t much matter but I really feel better when I have only satisfied customers that always give 5 stars.

1) You can delete ratings of deleted items perhaps.

2) Or delete outdated ratings (from years before – when technologies were different) and leave only ratings from past year or two of performance.

3) When I registered here comission rates were 40-60% and unfortunately I had to go all the way from 40% to 53% (? Can’t remember ?) and then comission rate have changed to 50%-70% for all authors. That’s quite a bit of money lost for an author but that’s OK. I don’t want the same thing to happen with ratings. I don’t want to be left with poor ratings (that I couldn’t and can’t well prevent) when you do improvements (and let further authors fully benefit from it but not old ones).

I hope you understand :) I’m just asking to erase past ratings if it’s not really objective in my opinion right now. Ratings will be constructive and objective only after certain changes. Right now they don’t tell anything author nor client.

177 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
xdkd
says

>2) Or delete outdated ratings

Isn’t this how ebay works? You can see ratings for last month/year or so. With web technology evolving fast (and many authors/teams skills improving), it would make sense to drop old ratings from years ago.

Anyway, while argument about scalability and support is understandable, how comes companies like Paypal, Amazon, Campaignmonitor and others manage to not only continuously iterate and improve on their services, but pull off entire site redesigns. Surely Envato can manage to keep up with the times? 3 years in internet time is like ages, really. I’ve seen much more massive businesses make complete overhauls and massive improvements in that time. For a progressive marketplace such as TF, where items set new quality standards for entire internet, being an outdated place is inexplicable. As it was mentioned in this thread already, if you are experiencing lack of people on the team, consider hiring some additional developers, perhaps even among marketplace authors. I’ve seen requests from power buyers (cart / lightbox system, invoices to name a few) being in “pipeline” for god knows how long, that’s your lost profit right there (especially for PD).

17 posts
quosik
says

>2) Or delete outdated ratings Isn’t this how ebay works? You can see ratings for last month/year or so. With web technology evolving fast (and many authors/teams skills improving), it would make sense to drop old ratings from years ago.

That’s exactly what I mean – it would be a giant step to satisfy authors.

• 2001 – 2005 – A company (an author) can perform badly or be average. Deserve 1 star.
  • 2005 – 2010 – The same company (the same author) can deliver superior products, great support – they may hire new people, new coders, new support staff. This is no longer the same company. Those are not the same products. Deserve 5 stars.
  • 2010 – 2013 – The same company (the same author) can fall yet again and start delivering crap. Deserve 1 star again.

As you can see situation changes vastly and adjusting comments/ratings to current performance is a good move. It’s good for authors (past events don’t follow them) and good for buyers (they know what the CURRENT performance and quality is).

8176 posts
  • Achieved the monthly Community Superstar Award
  • Located in Europe
+6 more
doru
says

Isn’t this how ebay works? You can see ratings for last month/year or so. With web technology evolving fast (and many authors/teams skills improving), it would make sense to drop old ratings from years ago.

I think they do it because of the amount of scams you find there.

1373 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
dekurvajo
says

disclaimer: just a bit of fun, no hard feelings hopefully :)

Hahaha… You don’t know how much I laughed! Hahaha! But I think you should post this on the other meme thread… hahahaha…. or it will be removed (off topic)... but that was really funny man!

Congratulaion Crakken, i think your item has been feautered. :D and you got 6 Star rating :D:D

1373 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
dekurvajo
says

Ups… sorry as i see it was doru :)

891 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
+7 more
Jordan_M
Envato team
says

Hey guys, I appreciate that you’re all frustrated and want improvements to things like ratings/support etc – we (Envato) wants that too, but there are reasons things don’t move as quickly as we all wish that they could. Vahid will be posting his quarterly update very soon (I’ve seen a draft).

I get that this was a joke and I’m certain no offence would be taken, and we all need to have a laugh from time to time – but I’d like to ask that you all be respectful of the dev team and everyone else on these forums for that matter too. The devs work extremely hard, a lot of the time on problems you guys wouldn’t be thinking about. They most certainly are not lying in hammocks on the beach! :P

That said, I appreciate the frustrations and seeming lack of movement (please keep in mind the behind the scenes work which goes into the operation of sites on the scale of the Marketplaces – and how quickly we’re needing to scale the business to match) and threads like this have great feedback which we do monitor and all take to heart. I can’t wait until the day where we deliver a more robust ratings system too.

Jords

Jordan_M, you know that this answer just doesn’t wash with the community now. How many times have we heard you say the same thing in every one of these threads.

There is no excuse what so ever for not implementing these features. I won’t respect the developers because they are absolutely useless. I know as a developer that whilst you always aim to build and sustain your service you also have to innovate and keep moving forward – something that you guys haven’t done for years.

Look at it this way – Tuts+ got hacked and this was a pathetically easy thing to avoid – if you can’t even employ the basic security techniques then I really feel sorry for the marketplaces here as they will never ever be improved, only when it is too late.

Also, if lack of developers is a problem, why not hire 2-3 JUST to work on new features (and only new features). What’s your excuse for that one?

All I was saying was that everyone who posts on these forums, agrees to remain respectful – if one can’t get their point across without continually, and repetitively resorting to name-calling and disrespectful comments then that person is not welcome on these forums. I was also explaining the honest truth of where we’re at – scaling the business to deliver the outcomes we ALL want. It’s not as simple as hiring 2-3 developers to work on new features – if it was, we would have done it.

A feature you could implement on a small site in a few days is unequivocally not the same as implementing it on the Marketplaces. That’s my answer. We’ve explained our current status and position multiple times. We’ve indicated our intentions to continue to iteratively improve the Marketplaces and that is what we will do.

by
by
by
by
by
by