808 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

Hey guys.
This post is directed to buyers who rate purchased items less then 5 stars. I mean, WTF ? Why?! Please someone explain me. It’s not that you’re buying a pig in a poke. There’s a preview to each file, so you know exactly what you’re paying for. If you think that a file is not good enough – just don’t buy it, keep searching. The very fact that you purchased an item means it’s the best you could find, so why give it 4, 3 or even 1 star?!
Keep in mind that it’s a real bummer for an author to have a portfolio with empty gray stars, so if you intend to give your next purchased item less then 5 stars, please don’t rate at all.

973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

It could be that it was hard to implement, had bugs, bad support.. or what I think a lot of people do is 5 out of 5 is often reserved for the best of the best so people rate 4 stars

631 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
UBLThemes says

Hey guys.
This post is directed to buyers who rate purchased items less then 5 stars. I mean, WTF ? Why?! Please someone explain me. It’s not that you’re buying a pig in a poke. There’s a preview to each file, so you know exactly what you’re paying for. If you think that a file is not good enough – just don’t buy it, keep searching. The very fact that you purchased an item means it’s the best you could find, so why give it 4, 3 or even 1 star?!
Keep in mind that it’s a real bummer for an author to have a portfolio with empty gray stars, so if you intend to give your next purchased item less then 5 stars, please don’t rate at all.

I understand where you are coming from but the rating system is not all about the product, its also about how you support the item, its about how easy it is to edit/manipulate, how well documented it is.

It can be the best file for its class but if its poorly documented and the user cant alter to his/her need the file is useless to them so they do not feel the item warrants a 5 star.

If i purchased a logo and it looks amazing and when i download it, i open up the eps file and you cant edit the layers i would not rate 5 stars, i would give 1 star because it is worthless to me even though i saw the file on preview, you cant see whats behind the scenes, the docs, file and support.

But i do understand, because if i had less than 5 stars for something i have worked hard on i would feel a little dis heartened.

115 posts WordPress Wizard
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
CODE9RS says

The reality is sad, the best to do is try offer the best service possible, sure you’ll have trolls that will vote negative even with nice support or something else, but the world isn’t fair hahaha

In a perfect ThemeForest, the rate buttons is only a thumbs up, or you click it or not, just this. :)

Cheers!

973 posts
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

The reality is sad, the best to do is try offer the best service possible, sure you’ll have trolls that will vote negative even with nice support or something else, but the world isn’t fair hahaha

In a perfect ThemeForest, the rate buttons is only a thumbs up, or you click it or not, just this. :)

Cheers!

Yh, a bit like what YouTube did.

619 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
uniquefx says

I think he’s focusing on Audiojungle items.I rated a sound file 4 stars once because it didn’t loop as promised.As for the songs,don’t know why anyone would rate them less than 5 stars every time.You know exactly what you are getting.

973 posts
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

@Art-of-Sound – Just looking at your items, you only have 1 file thats 4 stars rest are 5 stars or no rating to you cant exactly complain.

932 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Russian Federation
+1 more
permian says

I guess he means audio files mainly, where’s nothing to support afterwards.

808 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

@Art-of-Sound – Just looking at your items, you only have 1 file thats 4 stars rest are 5 stars or no rating to you cant exactly complain.

I have many items with 4 stars, but I’m not talking just about myself, it puzzles me in general why would anyone rate a photo, video, or audio file less than 5 stars.

It would be nice if a buyer took a moment to leave a comment and explain what’s wrong.

3701 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

If you think that a file is not good enough – just don’t buy it, keep searching. The very fact that you purchased an item means it’s the best you could find, so why give it 4, 3 or even 1 star?!

That’s really all what the rating system is about. Tell me, what is the point of a system where everyone gives everyone 5 stars? Pure courtesy and good maners? I’d not see much reason to have stars at all when everyone rates everything with 5 stars. It would reduce the stars to a mere formality.

I understand your frustration and the rating system is far from ideal, but I honestly don’t see what you’re trying to solve by making everyone rate everything 5 stars.

by
by
by
by
by
by