• Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+1 more
UBLThemes says

If you think that a file is not good enough – just don’t buy it, keep searching. The very fact that you purchased an item means it’s the best you could find, so why give it 4, 3 or even 1 star?!

That’s really all what the rating system is about. Tell me, what is the point of a system where everyone gives everyone 5 stars? Pure courtesy and good maners? I’d not see much reason to have stars at all when everyone rates everything with 5 stars. It would reduce the stars to a mere formality.

I understand your frustration and the rating system is far from ideal, but I honestly don’t see what you’re trying to solve by making everyone rate everything 5 stars.

+1

806 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Art-of-Sound says

I’d not see much reason to have stars at all when everyone rates everything with 5 stars. It would reduce the stars to a mere formality.

And I don’t see a reason to have a rating system that does not reflect the quality of purchased items. I have no problem with fair rating, but as the thread name implies, it often looks just a mere trolling. I’ve seen exemplary files without any flaws by elite authors rated 1 star. Maybe it’s more complicated in templates or themes, but low rating of an image or sound effect simply does not make sense. It also makes a buyer look a sucker, like, why do you waste your money on something you’re not satisfied with?

I’m not trying to solve anything, just wanted to ask the buyers who gave low ratings, why did they do it. As I said earlier, constructive feedback would be really helpful in these cases.

124 posts
  • Belarus
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Themico says

And I don’t see a reason to have a rating system that does not reflect the quality of purchased items. I have no problem with fair rating, but as the thread name implies, it often looks just a mere trolling. I’ve seen exemplary files without any flaws by elite authors rated 1 star. So, maybe it’s more complicated in templates or themes, but low rating of an image or sound effect simply does not make sense. It also makes a buyer look a sucker, like, why do you waste your money on something you’re not satisfied with?

First of all, why 4 or even 3 stars is not satisfied?! Why 4 stars is bad? Don’t you think that when buyer choose from tens of files, they search for what they need, not the highest quality. If they need a photo with a panda, they may have choice only from 10 photos for example, and none of them are great. They spent their money for what they need, not to rate an author as 5 stars, they don’t care about it. Are you satisfied will all the products you buy as 5 stars? I’m sure you not.

I can say only about photos, as I bought few of them. Sometimes when I buy a photo on GraphicRiver – it have lower quality than i expected with the size i bought. I can’t detect the real quality before purchase as previews all of the same size with the same quality + watermarks.

124 posts
  • Belarus
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Themico says

Another point is that while looking for audio, video and graphic files buyers care less about the rating compared to files on TF and CC as they see everything before purchase.

16 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
LuanMuniz says

I think that each rating should be accompanied by a commentary. The guy can vote how many stars he wants, but if he does not like something, I think the correct thing is to inform the author about what you did not like, so we can try to improve!

995 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
mudi says

for me rating system is not a feature or feedback tool it’s just a mysterious flaw.

95 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Belgium
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeLizard says

I think it will be good if the voting system is linked to the comment system. Similar as LuanMuniz said, but I’d not accompany it by a commentary but just add it to the comments system itself, so they are integrated.

Buyers might abuse the fact that they are completely anonymous when they vote on an item so they can do whatever they want. By linking the voting to the comment system the buyers won’t be anonymous anymore + you’ll have constructive feedback if a buyer is honest about his low rating he gave somebody.

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Australia says

Rating systems, such as this …should also include feedback as obligatory.

Afterall, the rating is scored like a review. With arbitrary ratings, and no feedback, you would be better off with , click to like.

As it stands the current rating system is piss poor, but the only ppl whinging about it are authors.

Ffs if all you could do was rate five stars or not rate at all, how would you differentiate between authors ?

So if ratings are gonna stay, then accompany them with feedback, if user elects to not give feedback then publically that rating is ignored , nulled or just plain un validated.

If this becomes the case, then the entire forums would become awash with, some random just gave me onestar and said i am crap….

Where do you draw the line and protect anonymity ?

Well simple, only allow ppl who POST on the items comments, that is BUYERS to rate. Display their rating on ALL of their comments in that comment section, then the AUTHOR can address the issue.

Then the buyer can accept resolution, and re evaluate their score.

This then means new potential buyers can link service with ratings.

So more sales better accountability for buyers and ultimately better support from sellers, as they have vested interest in maintaining support.

Its a Frikken No brainer. But i am sick of making these basic suggestions, cos envato ignore it….and disgruntled “i only want five star ratings” authors will continue to harangue the forums with pointless threads like this.

Tbh, there are 1000’s of crap products on envato, and equally crap authors, with holier than thou attitudes… So step up to the plate Envato and put some thought into it all.

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

Lastly do the maths.

If 10000 ppl buy a item, and five ppl rate the item, and two ppl sneakily down rate the item as one star….what is the result ?

Works both ways too.

:)

629 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Thecodingdude says

- Snipped -

You of all people should know that all this is “in the pipeline”...Put it like this, Envato are still running on that amember system which they said they were going to change months ago. Change doesn’t happen at Envato…Ever

by
by
by
by
by
by