381 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
redfactory says

A simple “thumbs up” and “thumbs down” rating system would be much better. This has been requested a thousand times already, but I don’t think Envato will implement it.

1273 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
Pricop says

That’s the whole beauty of the rating systems, it pushes you forward when you see a bad rating ;-).

240 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
phpdude says

@artofsound has a very good point when talking about audio, photo and video files. They all have previews so you can see exactly what you’re getting. The only reason these types of items should not get a 5 star is when there is something missing which was promised.

I’ve been a bit inactive in the forums lately, but all I seem to be seeing is the same old topics cropping up again and again, such as item ratings, bulk licenses, edit FAQs etc etc. The current rating system is, in my opinion, broken. It doesn’t benefit authors as it doesn’t show WHY the rating was made, and in WHAT area. For buyers, I don’t know how useful this information is, as it could be 4 stars because the item was terrible but the support was excellent, or it could be a perfect item but someone else had unrealistic expectations on free modifications.

There needs to be more improvements made to it, such as different ratings based on specific areas such as quality of product, documentation, support, etc and as @SportTipsWorld said, a obligatory feedback message too.

I’ve been dying for some updates for ages now, and know a lot of others are too. It would be awesome if we knew if improvements to the rating system are in the pipeline, and if not, why not.

810 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

I just went to that and appreciate all the 5 stars …. be happy :)
Thanks, much appreciated!
331 posts No! It's not a 5 minute job!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
WebFactory says

Although I may be wrong I will say that most ones we get is out of “revenge” for not doing a free modifications or something similar. Well, so be it … :)

295 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
Endat says

I often suspect that some authors have separate buying accounts to protect their own ratings. Spending $2-5 for a little bit of competitive sabotage.. so far, unproven. Buyer ratings would alleviate that suspicion.

18 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
Heartbreak says

As far as I know… Someone rated all my Solair’s (my brother’s account – http://3docean.net/user/Solair) Public Collections 1 star for some reason. Which clearly his work is not 1 star at all. Me and my sister had to “up-rate” his 1 star to 4. That’s not very nice.

56 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
ClutchTrigger says

As far as I know… Someone rated all my Solair’s (my brother’s account – http://3docean.net/user/Solair) Public Collections 1 star for some reason. Which clearly his work is not 1 star at all. Me and my sister had to “up-rate” his 1 star to 4. That’s not very nice.

That’s right sis. And on that note, I think information on the member that rated your item should be shown at least to the seller. And make it so that you must be a registered user AND a person that actually bought the item. The same goes for the Public Collections to stop things like what happen to my brother.

13 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
Solair says

That’s right sis. And on that note, I think information on the member that rated your item should be shown at least to the seller. And make it so that you must be a registered user AND a person that actually bought the item. The same goes for the Public Collections to stop things like what happen to my brother.

Thanks CT and HB, but I’m sure it is obvious to everyone I don’t create 1 star products. The trolling of others doesn’t fave me at all. :)

5169 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I think it’s a mixture of stuff. I think some people just don’t give 5 stars. Some people love the file, but found it too expensive… rate lower. Some people find the file, and it’s the best they can find on the entire marketplace, but it’s not exactly what they had in their head, so they rate less than 5.

And then for things like templates that need to be customized, I think some newbie users have a certain idea about how long it’s going to take, get frustrated at their own lack of ability and rate 1 star out of frustration. In these cases, no amount of carefully constructed user guide can help….. because they probably didn’t read / watch it.

Just my theory though.

by
by
by
by
by
by