27 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
ThemeSmack says

May be a good point would be if you rate und 3 stars you have to comment why you rated down, sometimes I think customers rate down because of nothing…

this is exactly how it should be…

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

I noticed recently that ratings show up in Google results, which could help draw attention to themes :)

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

2. Buyers who bombard you with 15 questions within an hour, and expect all these 15 questions to be answered within few hours

Which exactly what web companies that use themes for clients sites have to cope with, when clients discover bugs or themes stop working after authors stop supporting them.

We had a lovely time explaining to a client that they’d have to pay to have their ecom site completely rebuilt because the developer had decided they weren’t going to bother supporting the theme we’d used anymore.

Companies that use commercial themes have to provide frontline support for their clients, I don’t see why theme developers think they should be immune from providing support. Ultimately if you don’t like dealing with customers and support then you’re in the wrong job.

It’s not always the case, there are some great developers on here and our last purchase is being well supported.

Besides I am sure none of the negative comments are deleted, unless they contain offensive language.

We had an issue recently where a theme we purchased was full of bugs, and the documentation didn’t cover some of the complicated layout set-ups they’d used n the demo. We had to use their support site for help, and after 6 weeks even with full access to our site their developer couldn’t fix the issues. So they banned us from their forum for ‘wasting too much of their time’.

Result broken useless theme, no support. Customer facing skills – 0 stars.

We asked them to reinstate our support on themeforest and they responded with some made-up derogatory comment about us. Our comment was removed, theirs was left in place.

324 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
NikolaSusa says

>>familychoice Problem is that some of the customers are douches and they downrate without explanation.. They don’t ask for help/support or report bugs, they just check ‘one star’ even if you gave ‘em good support. It’s frustrating.

323 posts
familychoice says

>>familychoice Problem is that some of the customers are douches and they downrate without explanation.. They don’t ask for help/support or report bugs, they just check ‘one star’ even if you gave ‘em good support. It’s frustrating.

Customers/clients can be less than friendly. We provide a lot of free fixes and help above and beyond the call of duty, yet rarely get any recognition or thanks for it. We’ll fix sites for free that have been broken by clients and not hear a word of thanks for doing so. As long as they pay their bills we just take it on the chin.

Dealing with customers is as much a skill as developing themes or building websites, and companies that are good at it will attract more sales than those that aren’t. We’re still learning!

I think the app store style rating system is fairer for customers and developers. Generally customers will give honest ratings so the occasional 1 star awarded for a theme that has the majority of 5 stars isn’t going to put off buyers.

1 post
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
MagnumThemes says

I believe the rating system should be reviewed. I think it should be mandatory for a buyer to provide a reason why the rating, even if it’s 5 starts. If the rating is low because the buyer had a bad experience or any other reason, the Author should be given the opportunity to fix whatever is broken, or reach an agreement before the rating becomes effective.

Right now buyers are rating items down and we don’t even have a clue why. How can we improve our items or try to help the buyers if we don’t know what’s going on.

52 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
minti says

I think the itunes rating system would be complete disaster! It would look like 100×5 stars, 0×4 stars, 0×3stars, 0×2stars and 20×1 star, which is even more daunting than having the 4 stars without a comment!

323 posts
familychoice says

I think it should be mandatory for a buyer to provide a reason why the rating, even if it’s 5 starts.

I’d be happy to add a comment to my ratings, but I’m guessing rogue authors would then moan about any negative comments they get as being unfair.

Authors already get feedback on their product pages if customers are having an issue, though when I’ve tried this my comments have been removed. If they’re getting repeated complaints about a particular issue then rather than asking Themeforest to remove them, they should take note and they’ll see why they’re being marked down.

I think the itunes rating system would be complete disaster! It would look like 100×5 stars, 0×4 stars, 0×3stars, 0×2stars and 20×1 star, which is even more daunting than having the 4 stars without a comment!

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be happy with 4 stars. For me 5 stars is given for the combination of a great theme, good documentation and quick, helpful support. It’s extremely rare for me to buy a theme with all of those covered, and it’s usually the support that lets it down. 4 stars is still a good rating, just not a great one.

I gave you 5 stars for your last theme by the way ;)

453 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
readactor says

I’d be happy to add a comment to my ratings, but I’m guessing rogue authors would then moan about any negative comments they get as being unfair.

that’s true. what is more worse then a 1 star, is a 1 star with a bad comment. already many buyers use the rating like a blackmail, what if they can leave and a comment?

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

This is probably the most requested feature over the past 3 years. It would be nice if someone from staff could comment on whether it’s in the pipeline, and if not, maybe some reasons why.

As far as the ability to change ratings, we have to consider Envato’s point of view: Customers are happy with it, and it encourages authors to be more consistent with support.

by
by
by
by
by
by