707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ChillThemes says

That’s so petty and childish…
Come back and talk about it when when you’ve had some more experience ;)

Experience at what? Being petty and childish? By trying to sabotage another’s business? No thanks, I’m not an evil bastard. :D

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Experience at what? Being petty and childish? By trying to sabotage another’s business? No thanks, I’m not an evil bastard. :D

Please forgive me I misinterpreted your comment.

707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
ChillThemes says

Please forgive me I misinterpreted your comment.

No harm, no foul. All is forgiven! :)

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

You’re right about support turning into free work. I usually work for free when I release a new item, because unfortunately 1 bad rating at the very beginning can ruin months of hard work. In my opinion this is why a ratings breakdown (the graphic example that’s been posted in this thread) is badly needed. Because when the stars first show up (after 3 ratings), if 2 people rate your item well but one person stings you, at least other customers could see that and put two and two together.
Another thing I wanted to mention was that customers aren’t the only ones who give bad ratings. It’s well known that authors frequently sabotage their competition. So like I said, the need for a visible ratings breakdown is desperately needed.

+1 for both the comments. This is what actually happens. Almost all of my decently selling files started with 4* ratings – this doesn’t automatically translates competitor author’s activity though. But as an author, forces me to accept 4* rating as reflection of good performance.

The amazon style ratings break down not only solves this particular issue but for numerous cases, it is a honest way to display feedback to the public. Displaying “average” isn’t actually helpful for buyers.

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
familychoice says

As a customer 4 stars is fine by me, I’d never overlook a theme for that rating, though I’d check the comments first just in case.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
kokotee says

I would not considered myself as an experienced Wordpress user. I have bought several themes over the last year or so. There are themes that are easy and intuitive, other are plain hard and buggy. I think Themeforest needs to be more vigilant with the Developers/Sellers. Developers seems to think it is just about the money, so they create a theme that has several issues that needs to be worked out and put it out there for sale. When you contact them with the issue they are irritated. Oh, and don’t get me started on the number of updates you have to continually do because of the buggy themes that are sold to us unsuspecting customers. Please, Developers who take their time and create good themes would always get 5 star ratings and plenty sales because they give quality work. Some themes are just so frustrating, in the end you just never use them and it is just a waste of the buyers money. Or and lets not forget about the Documentations, very little details just general information. Imagine a seller would not even state the size images that should go in a slider. So naturally you have to try and try or ask for support. Good ratings belongs to those who take their time to produce good designs, technically functioning themes with detailed documentation that communicates clearly to both the novice and experienced user/buyer.

626 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
ChapterThemes says

I would not considered myself as an experienced Wordpress user. I have bought several themes over the last year or so. There are themes that are easy and intuitive, other are plain hard and buggy. I think Themeforest needs to be more vigilant with the Developers/Sellers. Developers seems to think it is just about the money, so they create a theme that has several issues that needs to be worked out and put it out there for sale. When you contact them with the issue they are irritated. Oh, and don’t get me started on the number of updates you have to continually do because of the buggy themes that are sold to us unsuspecting customers. Please, Developers who take their time and create good themes would always get 5 star ratings and plenty sales because they give quality work. Some themes are just so frustrating, in the end you just never use them and it is just a waste of the buyers money. Or and lets not forget about the Documentations, very little details just general information. Imagine a seller would not even state the size images that should go in a slider. So naturally you have to try and try or ask for support. Good ratings belongs to those who take their time to produce good designs, technically functioning themes with detailed documentation that communicates clearly to both the novice and experienced user/buyer.

Well, it is recommended a user will need at least SOME experience with what they are doing. What else do you want with a site in the first place.

With the most things i agree with you, BUT sometimes it’s like when a person buys a ferrari because they want to go really really fast, while they do not have a drivers licence. And then start to complain at ferrari because the person keeps flying off track. Or even can’t get the car started.

Well in that case you shouldn’t have bought yourself a ferrari if you ask me, because that’s not a problem with the ferrari, but a lack of basic knowledge to drive a car in the first place.

And bugs are normal in software. It’s a living thing you know, it evolves, maybe it gets new features in updates and therefor some new bugs could appear. And those bugs get fixed and therefor an update is needed. You should be glad when an author updates their themes.

506 posts Code is Poetry
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
egemenerd says

Everyone has the right to defend themselves, right? If someone gives me a 1 star, I want to know why and if necessary I want to defend myself… So if a customer wants to give 1 star, he/she should give an explanation below rating. I think this is the best solution for both sides…

1411 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Located in Europe
+7 more
Stylius says

This conversation is pointless guys, you won’ be heard, it has been discussed for hundreds of times already and Envato knows exactly what to do, they simply choose not to.

323 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
familychoice says

And bugs are normal in software. It’s a living thing you know, it evolves, maybe it gets new features in updates and therefor some new bugs could appear. And those bugs get fixed and therefor an update is needed.

Developers should ensure that there are no bugs on release, then they wouldn’t have to put up with bad ratings and multiple support requests. Every theme I’ve purchased on here, apart from one, has had multiple bugs on release, which have required fixes.

However I will give 5 stars to any developer who provides good support even if their theme is released with bugs. If they fix them quickly then I’m happy to put up with a bit of hassle. Good support is essential.

I’m more than happy to ‘justify’ any bad customer experience, whether dodgy developers will want to read it is another matter.

by
by
by
by
by
by