357 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
billyf says

This conversation is pointless guys, you won’ be heard, it has been discussed for hundreds of times already and Envato knows exactly what to do, they simply choose not to.
But they are still not doing anything, hence it would be good to ‘remind’ them every now and then rather than keeping mum on this matter.
1410 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Europe
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+7 more
Stylius says

This conversation is pointless guys, you won’ be heard, it has been discussed for hundreds of times already and Envato knows exactly what to do, they simply choose not to.
But they are still not doing anything, hence it would be good to ‘remind’ them every now and then rather than keeping mum on this matter.

Does it work to remind them? We have reminded them for more than 3 years and you can see the result. I give up, you can still “remind” them if you want.

41 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
cloud9 says

@Kokotee you have to remember that it takes MANY hours of time, thought and energy to come out with a well rounded polished theme. You also need to take into account that yes you want to purchase a completely BUG free wordpress theme, but also you need to take into account your only paying $45 for a well designed theme often with great UI design, with a little tweaks will save you thousands. So if you have to send an email, and yes the developer might be a little upset, or tired, perhaps, spare a thought.

I am one of the top buyers here on TF, I have seen alot fo well rounded themes and some with the bugs as you say. It always goes 10 miles longer if how you communicate with any bugs or issues goes a long way.

Next time anywone wants to whinge about a theme, test the demo site. Understant you are buying a theme, NOT a developed website, and when you ask for support do so remembering that you only paid $45 instead of $4000.

Also note to developers, test you effin themes. Have un related beta testers. Give them a blank WP install and get them to setup your theme as per your demo. Find out what they falter on, and fix it. And include that in YOUR DOCUMENTATION. If people fault or get stuck, chances are most novices will too.

Just my two cents.

I would not considered myself as an experienced Wordpress user. I have bought several themes over the last year or so. There are themes that are easy and intuitive, other are plain hard and buggy. I think Themeforest needs to be more vigilant with the Developers/Sellers. Developers seems to think it is just about the money, so they create a theme that has several issues that needs to be worked out and put it out there for sale. When you contact them with the issue they are irritated. Oh, and don’t get me started on the number of updates you have to continually do because of the buggy themes that are sold to us unsuspecting customers. Please, Developers who take their time and create good themes would always get 5 star ratings and plenty sales because they give quality work. Some themes are just so frustrating, in the end you just never use them and it is just a waste of the buyers money. Or and lets not forget about the Documentations, very little details just general information. Imagine a seller would not even state the size images that should go in a slider. So naturally you have to try and try or ask for support. Good ratings belongs to those who take their time to produce good designs, technically functioning themes with detailed documentation that communicates clearly to both the novice and experienced user/buyer.
41 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
cloud9 says

YOu theme authors also whinge about the issues you have with envato, what you want changed and the things they wont change for you. Well I have to say, I spent time, blood sweat and tears trying to launch another theme marketplace last year spending tens of thousands and no-one poked a slight bit of interest.

So don’t whinge whinge whinge and then be prepared to do nothing about it. You sold out to envato, live in the bed you made for yourselves.

357 posts
+1 more
billyf says

YOu theme authors also whinge about the issues you have with envato, what you want changed and the things they wont change for you. Well I have to say, I spent time, blood sweat and tears trying to launch another theme marketplace last year spending tens of thousands and no-one poked a slight bit of interest. So don’t whinge whinge whinge and then be prepared to do nothing about it. You sold out to envato, live in the bed you made for yourselves.
Well, sorry to hear that your marketplace didn’t work out as good as you expected, but I personally don’t think it has much relation to this issue. Yes, there is a lot to be done to make a successful marketplace (and I have to admit, Envato has done a great job in marketing as well as strategy, as they also manage various websites (like tuts+, online portfolio, jobs etc.) which will attract both beginners and professionals. Ultimately, people involved in this industry will somehow get to know about the marketplace)

However, that does not mean they should invest all their resources into attracting visitors. Instead, there are various aspects of the sites which can be improved for better usability for the users. We are just doing the best that we can, given our limitations in what can be done, which is, to voice out our opinion. We are not just simply saying ‘ratings should be improved’. I have seen numerous suggestions in the thread which can be employed by them should they decide to change it and they are actually better than what we currently have.

621 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

And bugs are normal in software. It’s a living thing you know, it evolves, maybe it gets new features in updates and therefor some new bugs could appear. And those bugs get fixed and therefor an update is needed.
Developers should ensure that there are no bugs on release

That’s just not always possible. Every day there are tons of products released also by big companies which still have little bugs in it.

Even companies like philips, apple, samsung etc.

Try to imagine what capacity those companies have to completely test out their stuff before they release it in the open world. And STILL those new products can always have little bugs.

Now try to compare that to a single author or even a small team of 20 people who create a theme or plugin. If big companies like above even don’t manage to get out ALL the bugs, with 1 to 2 years ( and even more ) testing, how on earth can a single or team of authors pull that of.

Now try to compare 300 employees of a big company testing a product for a year or more – to thousands of people ( and way more ) purchasing the final product, and working with that product in every single way you can think of: YOU CAN’T! Because NOTHING beats up to such a large scale of product use and it would be a REAL wonder if such a product will be released and NONE of the thousands ( and way up ) of end users will find a small bug.

Now this was a blown up example, but it’s a real life fact. Now how about a single author or a small team, who release their theme after months of hard work, and that product is purchased a 100 times and more – do you really think the authors could have tested and figured out EVERY single scenario on how a theme or plugin is being used? That’s just not ALWAYS possible.

But if someone else thinks it’s otherwise, well my man… then they don’t know what they’re talking about.

357 posts
+1 more
billyf says

Now try to compare 300 employees of a big company testing a product for a year or more – to thousands of people ( and way more ) purchasing the final product, and working with that product in every single way you can think of: YOU CAN’T! Because NOTHING beats up to such a large scale of product use and it would be a REAL wonder if such a product will be released and NONE of the thousands ( and way up ) of end users will find a small bug.
Totally agree with this. Some of my buyers have really ‘dug’ up something which I have never thought will be done on my theme, with some minor bugs accompanying it of course. But with every bug solved, the theme is nearer to perfection (although more might be introduced when adding new features), so I don’t see any problems with having bugs unless it is so serious that even basic features of the theme would be affected. In that case, it shouldn’t even have been approved to be sold here.
323 posts
familychoice says

Now try to compare that to a single author or even a small team of 20 people who create a theme or plugin. If big companies like above even don’t manage to get out ALL the bugs, with 1 to 2 years ( and even more ) testing, how on earth can a single or team of authors pull that of.

I think comparing creating a theme that’s compatible with the current version of Wordpress and ensuring it’s standards compliant and bug-free, with that of a company releasing a new TV is stretching things a bit far.

Now this was a blown up example, but it’s a real life fact. Now how about a single author or a small team, who release their theme after months of hard work, and that product is purchased a 100 times and more – do you really think the authors could have tested and figured out EVERY single scenario on how a theme or plugin is being used? That’s just not ALWAYS possible.

I don’t consider an incompatibility with a third party plugin to be a bug. If there is one, even if it’s due to bad coding, then if the developer sorts it out then that’s a 5 star service. If not, then I’d have to put up with it or use an alternative plugin. What I do consider to be a bug, is when advertised features don’t work, or layouts in demos can’t be achieved, or plugins bundled with the theme don’t integrate correctly.

That can, and should be picked up in testing before themes are released. If you’re not able to do this then you’re in the wrong job. If advertised features aren’t working properly then the product shouldn’t have been put on sale. Distance selling regulations and all that.

But if someone else thinks it’s otherwise, well my man… then they don’t know what they’re talking about.

I’ve worked for software companies and been involved in bug testing, and know exactly what I’m talking about, and I don’t consider it should be beyond the realms of a developers capabilities to be able to ensure their theme is well coded, bug free, and works as advertised when it’s released.

621 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

I think comparing creating a theme that’s compatible with the current version of Wordpress and ensuring it’s standards compliant and bug-free, with that of a company releasing a new TV is stretching things a bit far.

I don’t consider an incompatibility with a third party plugin to be a bug. If there is one, even if it’s due to bad coding, then if the developer sorts it out then that’s a 5 star service. If not, then I’d have to put up with it or use an alternative plugin. What I do consider to be a bug, is when advertised features don’t work, or layouts in demos can’t be achieved, or plugins bundled with the theme don’t integrate correctly.

That can, and should be picked up in testing before themes are released. If you’re not able to do this then you’re in the wrong job. If advertised features aren’t working properly then the product shouldn’t have been put on sale. Distance selling regulations and all that.

I’ve worked for software companies and been involved in bug testing, and know exactly what I’m talking about, and I don’t consider it should be beyond the realms of a developers capabilities to be able to ensure their theme is well coded, bug free, and works as advertised when it’s released.

You are replying to this in the most wrong way you could do. Because all the responses you mention here i absolutely agree with and just don’t reflect on the thing i’ve said in that comment..

The only thing i was trying to point out is that it isn’t just always possible. You can argue with that but that’s just a fact.

100 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
StevenGliebe says

Just had my first item drop from 5 stars to 4 stars today. It’s not a very popular one so I don’t get a lot of feedback and nothing that would indicate anybody is supremely unhappy, so I think it’d be great if a small review was required for each rating. Otherwise, I have no idea how to improve this theme for my customers so that it’s worth 5 stars to them again. Love the Amazon review system. Even wordpress.org does this now and it’s great.

by
by
by
by
by
by