1642 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

So, I have been thinking, not studying not reading but thinking of CS5 version of After Effects.

I am aware that speed difference is vast. But I wanted to ask fellow authors what is the real difference in effects, work flow, structure and reaction inbetween effects if you know what I mean. I realy love alot of bugs in effects of CS4 AE , those bugs that should’t be here sometimes makes wonderful things. I know some of them are fixed in CS5 .

Is there any particular new effects that does wonders? I know there is new effects but I am asking your opinion. Is it worth upgrading if we forget the speed difference.

7652 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

new version is more black :)

1642 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

I am not racist I am ok with it :D

No.. seriously give us some info guys :)

3961 posts After Effects Templates
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
miseld says

I am not racist I am ok with it :D

No.. seriously give us some info guys :)

CS 5 – 64bit enought…

1290 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

continually feeding the software companies for minor version change softwares has the capability of taking a lot of money out of your wallet every couple of years, lol..

2355 posts Small, but tough
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

continually feeding the software companies for minor version change softwares has the capability of taking a lot of money out of your wallet every couple of years, lol..

Felt_tips has squeezed him self trying to explain the real difference, but you just wont listen :) The difference is huge in workflow. @cyzer, not so much in rendering I find, but the workflow is much better. And it also looks much nicer.

edit: I corrected myself, even in ram rendering, it’s much faster!

2355 posts Small, but tough
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

In example: You have 8gb of RAM , CS4 is using 4, CS5 8 . You have 32gb of RAM , CS4 is using 4, CS5 32 :) Now, that for sure is not a “minor version change”.

5204 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

You wouldn’t believe how much work goes into a “minor version change”. $200 for the upgrade is a laughably small amount.. and what’s more, it’s cheaper than it’s ever been before.

As a businessman, Ken, I thought you’d understand better than most that time is money.

301 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
froztbyte80 says

All I can say is that working in full hd (if you have a powerfull configuration – i7 CPU , 8 Gb of ram) it will do wonders for you, ram previews will be much much faster, rendering time will make you cry in comparisson with CS4 , for example a project that took me 8 hours to render in CS4 now takes me 2 and half hours on CS5 … need to say more?! :-)

5204 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

@cyzer…

the really big difference is the 64 bit thing. RAM preview can now use more than 3GB of RAM .. in fact it’s unlimited (practically speaking). Beyond that, every interaction, every RAM preview, every time you move the playback head is faster. The program is much more pleasant to use and much faster to use. Your productivity will go through the roof. For me now, going back to CS4 is painful.

But in terms of other stuff now, if you upgrade the big ticket items you’ll have are Rotobrush, Refine Matte, Mocha 2, Freeform, Auto-keyframe, Camera Lens Blur (massively improved depth of field FX), 3D Camera Rig, 3D Lights with fall off, Warp Stabilizer, ability to import / work with many more footage types, backwards save (from 5.5 to 5).

And masses of little changes and fixes… alone the addition of a 3D point expression control must have saved me days. Or little things like “Change Background Color” is in the Composition Settings dialog where it belongs, not in its own silly little window. There are too many of these to count and off the top of my head it’s hard to remember them, since I hardly ever open CS4 anymore. :)

If you consider yourself a professional who works with After Effects for a living in some way, I’d always recommend upgrading as soon as possible. Otherwise, you are simply squandering your resources.

by
by
by
by
by
by