130 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
deanb says

First I know this has been mentioned so many times, but it is cocked up.

I do not believe it would be impossible to have a minimum time span for an item on the front page. Envato could work out from past data on average how many files in one month will qualify to be on the front page. Then use this average to work out the minimum time span set for an item to be a recent item.

A great example is FJ template was on the front page for between 3-5 days Fifty tons was on 1 day, both are great templates and deserve maximum exposure but at the moment it is a lottery.

I am not an author so it does not effect me in anyway except sometimes I will be missing quality files such fifty tons due to this inefficient set up.

DonĀ“t tell me there is no way to set this up as I owned a hugely successful on-line shop years ago and we had a similar set up on the front page for recent items and this had a minimum time span, which worked fine. All you need is the data to work an average, some months are busier than others and you may have to change the minimum time span every now and then. But this is much better than it is now.

5981 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

+1

Authors really deserves this facility. We just need a guarantee that all files gets average/minimum specified initial exposure and it is practically possible to implement.

At present 2 things are making the authors to do evil activities while uploading:
1. File approved from friday to sunday means you are unlucky. So experienced authors trying to post the files on a selective day so that it gets approved immediatly after sunday, not before. Some times that also doesn’t helps them though :D
2. It is better to be approved on monday so that you are guaranteed to enter the weekly popular section if it can make 15-20 sales. Otherwise the initial sales splitted for 2 weeks and chances are there to be slowly loose the exposure. Updating the weekly popular list twice a week (using sales data of latest 7 days) can make the system reliable for new files.

1100 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+12 more
ranfirefly says

+1 for that.

I can’t say more then what VF said.
It’s totaly true and it’s about time.

1081 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
damojo says
+1

Authors really deserves this facility. We just need a guarantee that all files gets average/minimum specified initial exposure and it is practically possible to implement.

At present 2 things are making the authors to do evil activities while uploading:
1. File approved from friday to sunday means you are unlucky. So experienced authors trying to post the files on a selective day so that it gets approved immediatly after sunday, not before. Some times that also doesn’t helps them though :D
2. It is better to be approved on monday so that you are guaranteed to enter the weekly popular section if it can make 15-20 sales. Otherwise the initial sales splitted for 2 weeks and chances are there to be slowly loose the exposure. Updating the weekly popular list twice a week (using sales data of latest 7 days) can make the system reliable for new files.

+1

Its kind of a gamble right now how much exposure your file gets.

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

Well, I can see a solution… would be enough to create a recent items queue… I try to explain… When a file is approved it goes in its category, normally.

When previous approved files have been on the recent items for the minimum time span:

if ((last visualization time – first visualization time >= minimum time on recent items)

they are automatically removed from the recent items and next files in queue go in, also if they’ve been approved 5 days before…

This would be an equal rotation of files… so when we upload a file we go into its category, and then, when it’s our turn, we go on the home page to get the right exposure…

What do you guys think?

Parker

4269 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Okay. Guys , decide what you want…

2 days ago you were all ” REVIEW TAKES TO LOOONG !! “

Now you want a minimum time on the front page.

Conclusion => you want 2 conflicting things.

Faster review => More files get in less exposure
More time on front page => Review takes longer more exposure looong time on review

Decide what you want!

4641 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Simple solution, break up the home page with tabs for each category… so each category has it’s own exposure time. ie templates would have long exposure time since they are submitted less often than preloaders for example. This has been mentioned before about a gazillion times but I guess it won’t ever happen…

1312 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
LGLab says
Simple solution, break up the home page with tabs for each category… so each category has it’s own exposure time. ie templates would have long exposure time since they are submitted less often than preloaders for example. This has been mentioned before about a gazillion times but I guess it won’t ever happen…

+1, might be good to use prices rather than categories though as there are so many categories. Maybe 4 tabs:

$1 – $10
$11 – $20
$21 – $30
$31 – $40

Then hopefully, the more work you put in your file, the higher it is priced, and the longer it is exposed.

1081 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
damojo says

I prefer this solution. The exposure times would be balanced out in a fair way. No more floods of preloaders pushing away templates after 2 days :)

1955 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Emroni says

Dont understand why its still not done this way. I mean, we all know templates would sell more if they were exposed longer, which means more cash. More cash for us means more cash for Envato, so win-win situation, right? So I really dont get why its still not done..

Im hesitant of uploading anything at all, since I put a lot of effort into my products. If they dont get enough exposure, then whats the use..

by
by
by
by
by
by