• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
alkis says

Hello all!

I’d like to record some solo cello, but it’s hard to find a session musician/cellist in town for that and my home studio is not ideal for a recording like that I think.

Are there any remote session musicians available from websites for a low budget where you just send the notation and you get the recorded cello track(s) in return? Apart from googling around, I’d love to hear any suggestions or tips.

Thanks a lot.

alkis

429 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
thesecession says

Pretty hard to find session musicians which also have their own professional recording setup and willing to work remotely. Im sure some exist but specifically for cello, I have no idea! I would suggest trying LA scoring strings. Their first chair solo strings are quite good and certainly usable. Getting the articulations and expression right is a bit tricky but possible with a little effort.

302 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
alkis says

Pretty hard to find session musicians which also have their own professional recording setup and willing to work remotely. Im sure some exist but specifically for cello, I have no idea! I would suggest trying LA scoring strings. Their first chair solo strings are quite good and certainly usable. Getting the articulations and expression right is a bit tricky but possible with a little effort.

Thanks! I’ll try them out in a music shop nearby, I hope they’ll have it there. Some video examples seem promising, especially this one, although I’d like to record some fast bach-like arpeggios which I’m afraid won’t easily sound natural.

Thanks again for replying :-)

alkis

429 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
thesecession says

Actually their staccato articulations sound quite good and the round robin is excellent even @ high bpm

1173 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+8 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

What’s your budget? I know a lot of very good cello players (personal friends, not just internet searches) who have their own remote recording setup. I’d be happy to pass on contact details on an individual basis. Send me an eMail.

LA Scoring Strings won’t cut it I’m afraid, not for solo work. Their solo library is really designed (and better utilised in my opinion) to enhance their ensemble patches. I personally wouldn’t dare put it on anything as a featured instrument. It will just sound cheap and nasty. You’ll get a better result in 1 take with a session player than you would EVER be able to do with LA Scoring Strings.

In any case, if you can afford to buy LA Scoring Strings, you can afford to hire a world-class cello player for at least 6 hours..............

BTW , for what it’s worth, I own LA Scoring Strings, and I love it, but it’s just not suitable for solo cello work.

Finally, there is no library in existence that can handle string arpeggios that well (maybe VSL ), certainly not legato arpeggios. Zero-G Spiritoso does a decent job with spiccato arpeggios/broken chords, but it’s SO mechanical and non-expressive. It’s good enough if it’s in the background, but if it’s featured, it won’t cut it.

So yeah, let me know your budget and I can send a few names your way so you can enquire.

302 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
alkis says

Thanks a lot guys!

Gareth, I’ll e-mail you, thank u.

212 posts Live Creative!
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
BrownHouseMedia says

I know an amazing cellist with a studio setup, send me an email and I can send you the details.

301 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
Reachground says

We (I) expect an update on how it turned out :)

302 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
alkis says

Definitely, but it’s not going to be in the near future. I just wanted to know the budgets that I need so that I can be prepared if for example I want to record in 6 months from now.

borissevastyanov
borissevastyanov Recent Posts Threads Started
242 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Ukraine
borissevastyanov says

My wife is a cellist. But there is no cello right now at home. If you steel need cello recording – write me on sba300@mail.ru.

by
by
by
by
by
by