731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

Creating a uniform “try for 30 days” for WordPress plugins would not be hard. What would be hard is ensuring that EVERY single plugin author on Envato follows the necessary standards.

It’s really just not something that can be realistically done.

A tip for future purchases: check item ratings, as well as author ratings. If the author has a history of highly rated items, then you’re probably safe to assume that they offer good support.

That being said, no one should be afraid to buy from a new author just because they don’t have a history of good ratings, because they only just started.

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
johnburton says

That’s a good point.

The main reason I got really nervous is that I ALMOST purchased an extended license… which would have had me out over $100. That would have been a horrible situation.

I use a theme that has a lot of special functionality worked into it… it’s incredibly customized… so, the chance of a plugin conflicting is higher than usual.

So, to buy something that won’t end up working is quite a bummer. If I would have spent over $100 for something I couldn’t use, my wife would have been really, really mad. None of us want that. :)

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

Note to self: don’t buy extended licenses until you have tried it ;)

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
johnburton says

Totally! :)

68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
iamfriendly says

This is why I love Envato sometimes. Several people from all over the globe in completely different time zones (Aus, USA and UK) chime in to help someone. None of us here have any affiliation with this marketplace other than the fact that we make some money here. None of us have ever met (I doubt?). None of us have ulterior motives.

40-odd replies later (and what, a couple of hours, ish), a problem that is nothing to do with any of us is solved.

What is there not to like or feel ‘worried’ about? If anything, for me, this should (and does) reaffirm the value of marketplaces like this – filled with great authors and genuine, kind and honest folk.

Awesome.

68 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
iamfriendly says

As an aside, johnburton, the plugin works absolutely fine on a vanilla install of WordPress. It’s been coded well, from what I gather. (well, it wouldn’t have passed the strict Envato submissions team had it not been) The bottom line of what I’m trying to say is that there is no way that this is the plugin author’s ‘fault’. No one is to ‘blame’ here. You’ve decided to have a complicated setup and that’s something you are aware of and have to now live with.

I understand where you’re coming from with regards to being uneasy about buying something and being worried that it wont work with YOUR setup. What you CAN be assured of is that the plugin WILL work if it’s left to it’s own devices. So you’re left with 3 choices:

1) Buy it. There’s a very (very) good chance all will be well. 2) Don’t buy it and miss out on an awesome functionality on your site 3) Worry about it then choose to buy it after spending god-only-knows how much time looking for free alternatives on Google.

Genuinely glad we got it working for you – perhaps next time you may not be quite so critical and instead, ask for help in a calm, controlled and dignified manner. I imagine you’ll be inundated with ideas and help if you choose to do so.

4335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+10 more
Reaper-Media says

This is why I love Envato sometimes. Several people from all over the globe in completely different time zones (Aus, USA and UK) chime in to help someone. None of us here have any affiliation with this marketplace other than the fact that we make some money here. None of us have ever met (I doubt?). None of us have ulterior motives.

40-odd replies later (and what, a couple of hours, ish), a problem that is nothing to do with any of us is solved.

What is there not to like or feel ‘worried’ about? If anything, for me, this should (and does) reaffirm the value of marketplaces like this – filled with great authors and genuine, kind and honest folk.

Awesome.

Well said! :-)

5492 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

As an aside, johnburton, the plugin works absolutely fine on a vanilla install of WordPress. It’s been coded well, from what I gather. (well, it wouldn’t have passed the strict Envato submissions team had it not been) The bottom line of what I’m trying to say is that there is no way that this is the plugin author’s ‘fault’. No one is to ‘blame’ here. You’ve decided to have a complicated setup and that’s something you are aware of and have to now live with.

I understand where you’re coming from with regards to being uneasy about buying something and being worried that it wont work with YOUR setup. What you CAN be assured of is that the plugin WILL work if it’s left to it’s own devices. So you’re left with 3 choices:

1) Buy it. There’s a very (very) good chance all will be well. 2) Don’t buy it and miss out on an awesome functionality on your site 3) Worry about it then choose to buy it after spending god-only-knows how much time looking for free alternatives on Google.

Genuinely glad we got it working for you – perhaps next time you may not be quite so critical and instead, ask for help in a calm, controlled and dignified manner. I imagine you’ll be inundated with ideas and help if you choose to do so.

Nail : Head : Bang

Well said mate.

My old fella used to say, if you BUY FREE , you get Nothing ! I understand the OP’s concerns, however it could have turned quite ugly, had envato marketplace members not tried to assist, with what was basically very very little information.

I think the upshot of all this, is what goes around comes around, as you quite eloquently put, none of us have any motive to assist, albeit we are part of a group of degenerates that appreciate the code and scripts that others make and support.

It’s akin to seeing a fellows, dog out of the garden, and leashing it, popping it back in the yard and locking the gate, and putting a note thru the door.

Every once in a while, you get bitten, but does that stop you helping again ?

Nope.

More to life than money…

131 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
aeroalquimia says

It’s not solved, because he can’t select any theme.

I have this line:

echo '<link href="'.$lbe_panel->path().'/js/lightbox/themes/'.$lbe_panel->get_option('theme').'/jquery.lightbox.css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" type="text/css" />';

so $lbe_panel->get_option(‘theme’) it doesn’t working.

the function:

class plugin_aeropanel
{
  function get_option($option)
  {
    return get_option($this->plugin['shortname']."_$option");
  }
}

is just a “get_option” function! it works in the admin panel, but not on the front end :/ I can’t understand why it doesn’t works :(

131 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
aeroalquimia says

Ok :) I spent 3 hours debugging all, but I did it! :evil: johnburton I’ll contact you via email.

by
by
by
by
by
by