2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
arkestra says

I agree, but to me both rates should be modified. We all know that saying 40 to 70% means 40 or just a few points more for the vast majority of members. To me 60% and 40%, respectively for exclusive and not-exclusive licenses, would be a fair starting point.

110 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
Catch22Music says

This sort of branches on another forum thread that I started a few weeks back.

What do people think of this -

All exclusive authors start on 50% which can raise to 70% over time depending on how much they sell.

Non exclusive authors start on 30% which can raise to 45% depending on how much they sell?

And for all these rising scales, the jumps are not stupidly steep. At the moment, it is extremely difficult for exclusive authors to get to 70%, it can be done, but very hard.

A pricing method like this would encourage more aurhors exclusive and non exclusive to create more and better music, increasing the revunue for Audio jungle, e.t.c.

So to sum up, rising scales for non exclusive authors as well, but starting on 30%!

1970 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

The thing is thou is that the selling price of files are low to my standards. I mean if a xml flash template sells for 40 bucks why not sell it for 50 or 60 because no matter even if it’s a 100 people will buy it because they will make money on it and i guarantee you that. Most of the people that buy flash are web design firms or people that do website design, i used to work for a firm part time and they used to buy files from FD and FC. Then they would charge their customers 1000-2000 for customizing the all ready made templates from here. Depending on how much customizing would be involved. I have seen FD templates sold to customers for as much as 6000 dollars which some of them i worked on.

So if envato raises the prices of files than the authors that put their effort into making these awesome apps could get more money for their hard work.

Like I said for me it’s just spending money for templates and so on but for someone that is trying to make a living from it, it is very discouraging.

For example if i had a customer that would pay me 1000-6000 dollars for a website that i can probably customize with in days because they are so well done. I would definatelly pay a 100 bucks for a template knowing that when i finish customizing it for my customer i will make at least a 1000 on it. This is how envato should think because selling stuff for cheap has a bad reflection on the authors the reason why is because countless hours are spent on developing these files and they should be valued more than 40 bucks.

I am not just an author but also a buyer and i would definitely pay double the prices of these files because i will earn 900% more than what i payed for them.

I mean this is just my thought on things not a complaint but i think it make sense to me anyways.

Cheers

14 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
artweb11 says

I agree too, we should have more, anyway the work done in creating a track is great, but if you get 1 cup of coffee for so many hours spent on it, many fulltime-freelancing composers would get out of AJ, I for one heard far worse tracks than mine ( even technically ) priced lower, so if nothing happens, AJ will become a deserted site with powerfull traffic, but little authors.

Don’t get me wrong, the majority of the files are great !

1 post
coryboatright says

I don’t mean to be critical of Envato, but their business practices makes it very easy to be.

I and a business partner are currently working on a similar model of allowing people to sell a multitude of different products (audio, video, graphics etc) through a network of sites. This isn’t going to be an advertisement, but an explanation behind costs.

Even with us spending the largest majority of funds on advertising for both the site and those using it, we can’t justify charging people more than 30% of what they earn for using the site and selling things through it. The reason for this is that it just would’t cost us that much to have them on our site, make a profit and allow them to make one too.

Hosting costs for something of this scale are the second largest expense and streaming audio clicps (eg. AJ) on demand round the clock would set us back a few hundred a month. Coupled with developer and advertising costs and lets say that it would cost $6000 a month to maintain. With an office space and a few other staff, lets increase that to $15,000 a month needed. This place doesn’t have a huge support staff and in many cases its the community that assists where that falls short.

What’s that?.

Let’s say 10,000 users were selling 1 audio track at a cost of $15 each and each track got sold just once each month.

That’s $150,000.

Minus our costs of $15000

= $135,000 left over.

Lets say that we wanted to take $20,000 for ourselves.

That leaves $115,000 to share among 10,000 users.

That’s $11.50 each that would be left.

Ie. 76% of what you originally made.

That might dip a little if I decided to hire one or two other developers, but in reality anyone that thinks Envato are doing you a favour isn’t being truthful. Mod or otherwise.

They’re taking a HUGE cut of your earnings and the reason is because they want as much as they can get out of you each month. My example above used just one sale per person on a spread of 10,000 users.

Spend 5 minutes doing the numbers on what a community of its size are really making it and you’ll change your mind about how awesome they are.

346 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
musicformedia says

I won’t go deep into this as its already been done, but I have deleted pretty much all of my tracks from here as I can no longer de-value my music. I hope that more top selling authors will follow suit and show that we will not put up with it

76 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
soundroll-music says
I won’t go deep into this as its already been done, but I have deleted pretty much all of my tracks from here as I can no longer de-value my music. I hope that more top selling authors will follow suit and show that we will not put up with it

Emmet, you really did it :) If my income from AJ will decrease – I will consider to do the same.

711 posts Plastic it's fantastic:))
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Europe
+4 more
plastic3 says

I think, that AJ payment rates could be easier than Videohive rates, for example, because Videohive items have a higher demand, as i see…

346 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
musicformedia says
Emmet, you really did it :) If my income from AJ will decrease – I will consider to do the same.

Yea well I feel happier now knowing that my cheapest track is about $30 on other websites, and I make at least 50% of that. Nowadays, I make about $15 per track sale on other websites, rather than $2.50 – I feel a lot better about that.

It also means that people will not find me on another website, then come and buy my track on AJ as its cheaper here :)

116 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
AudioQuattro says

“It also means that people will not find me on another website, then come and buy my track on AJ as its cheaper here :)”

EDIT : sorry, don´t even know how to quote on here…

Good point, that explains a few of the things I´ve been wondering about recently…

by
by
by
by
by
by