3 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
jray73 says

Hello everyone. I’m a small business owner looking to create my own website and Im interested in purchasing the U-design theme so that I can start working on getting the website up and running but I’m a little confused on how the regular license works (what I can and can not do) I’m not a freelancer and will not be reselling the theme. It would be a website created for my own small business where my clients can purchase my services. Can anyone explain to me in laymen terms how the regular license works and what it allows me to do?

7420 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

From your description looks like the regular license is enough. The website can be visited for free? (like google for example) If yes, then regular it is.

The freelance part is about someone who may work for his client, setting up the client website so the final user of the license is the client. The license just allow the freelancer to work for a client, don’t worry about it :)

Most important rule is, one use only. Most of the items on this marketplace (with a few exceptions) can be used for one project only, then if you want to use it for a second project you need to purchase it again.

3 posts
jray73 says

so using it for my own business website would be considered one use? I guess what confused me was the fact that the regular license mentioned something about charging for access, Now I plan on sometime in the future having a members log in on my website that people can have access to for a fee. Would that change anything

also people will be purchasing services on my site the fact that they do that will that require me to have to get a different license?

2121 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

Basically, what that means is this:

If you have a website that charges others and you give them a version of the website ie: sub-domain use = You would need Extended Lic.

If you’re going to charge for access to certain portions of your website – but are’t giving or selling file related to the Theme or Template you purchased = Regular Lic.

So, for just posting your website for all the word to see = Regular Lic.

Giving people Profile Pages using features of the Theme and charging for that would require Extended Lic.

Selling Products using the Theme, should be no problem, as long as you aren’t charging for people to have access to the Theme per-se.

I think that pretty much explains it in a nutshell.

3 posts
jray73 says

@Graphic-Studio what if they purchased services through my site and there are given a username & password that would allow them to access a back office, would that be ok? I mean they would be able to login on the themed website but technically they are taken to a third party platform to use the services.

also what do you mean about profile pages?

287 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Deep_Blue says

Most important rule is, one use only. Most of the items on this marketplace (with a few exceptions) can be used for one project only, then if you want to use it for a second project you need to purchase it again.

The one use only rule does not apply on many types of items such as: fonts, add-ons, mock-ups, icons.. and many others.

2121 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

@Graphic-Studio what if they purchased services through my site and there are given a username & password that would allow them to access a back office, would that be ok? I mean they would be able to login on the themed website but technically they are taken to a third party platform to use the services. also what do you mean about profile pages?

Well for Profile Pages, if you were creating a community site, that people paid for and they were able to make changes to an area that would be deemed as ‘theirs’ to do as they please, you in essence would be getting paid to allow them to use the theme.(Extended Lic).

As far as having they say view their purchases/credits/classes etc., etc. that would just be considered a function of the site, but you are charging not for the sites’ functions you are charging for a product or service that is aside from the usage of the Theme (Regular Lic.)

That’s how I understand it. If I’m wrong someone will come by and say so. :-(

834 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
uziiuzair says

As long as you are not charging the end user anything in order to make an account on your website,. A reg license would be enough. But if you are going to charge them a one-time fee or monthly fee, then you need an extended license.

166 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
themac says

I don’t think that’s necessary to buy an extended license if users have their own profile page using some theme elements (css definitions/backgrounds/layout) because they are part of the site.

if so, all of the dating and community themes should have been sold with an extended license

by
by
by
by
by
by