624 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Am i correct that a regular license of a theme sold, should be used only once by the buyer?

If so, we all know that in 90% of the sales this is not the case. I think most of the bought themes are used more than once, certainly the ones who are highly customizable.

How do other authors deal with this? It’s something we can not control or foresee. Do you mind it or is it just something you accept and don’t bother about? IF it’s only to be used once that is…

1698 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

Simple: your client asks for support, you can check his purchase date. If his purchase date is way to far back in time, you ask him to confirm if he is developing a new website, like you would register his entries. The thing is: we cannot force him to make additional purchases for additional websites.. I think this is another lack of our powers.

295 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
crossroad says

Simple: your client asks for support, you can check his purchase date. If his purchase date is way to far back in time, you ask him to confirm if he is developing a new website, like you would register his entries.

... and how its going to help you?

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

You can’t deal with it, simple as, the good guys will buy a new licence for each thing, the bad guys will buy one and use it multiple times, there is no easy way to tell them apart, that’s life.

Just be glad it’s someone buying it I guess

624 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Indeed we can’t do anything about. And yes, always glad people are buying.

I’m my case i was wondering it cause a buyer of my latest mailed me with questions and was telling me he or she was working on two sites with it.

Besides that, they also asked where the source for a theme module was, so they could use it in another project.

Well, i did mail them back that such thing is realy out of the question and pointed him to the license page and said he could use it once. But i also said i’m not going to make a big deal out of it since there’s nothing i could do realy..

My guess is there aren’t many ‘good guys’ as BenSheppard describes. And also lots of theme functions get moved out from themes to other projects.

Allthough it’s too bad for authors, maybe this lack of control is what makes buyers buy great items and there are a lot of sales…

136 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

Isn’t really anything you can do. Theoretically you could hook something up using the api and get them to register, then send it to your database, but its a fair bit of work and anything that makes it harder for legitimate users to use your themes isn’t the best idea imo.

It might be useful for Envato to reduce the price for multiple / repeat purchases of the same item (buy 1 get second half price kinda thing) but can’t see that happening.

by
by
by
by
by
by