12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
humanboy says

Hey guys,

Yet another rejected item here. You can view the live preview here: http://themeforest.humanboy.com

Here’s the rejection letter:
This File Did Not Meet Our Criteria

Thank you for taking the time to submit your work. Unfortunately this item doesn’t meet the high approval standards we have for the ThemeForest.

Visual / Aesthetic Quality

This item is not what we’re looking for the site in terms of aesthetic. This item still need more practice to get approved in ThemeForest.

This item have some potential based on the functions, however, it required a lot of works to improve its aesthetic quality.

Technical & Help File ============= 1. The help file doesn’t helpful enough. 2. The fixed menu image isn’t flexible to the users.

Can anyone recommend anything to make this get through? I plan on beefing up the help file. But is there anything design wise you’d suggest?

26 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
stephanie says

I am starting to really get nervous about submitting a theme. I have seen a lot of nice themes get rejected! I think yours is very clean and nice. From reading the comment from the reviewer, I think the problem may be that your header doesn’t allow the customer to put their blog title in without editing a PSD /image file. It might be a good idea to change the design to allow the customer’s blog title to automatically show up. You might give the customer two options – one with an image, and one with plain text as the blog title.

12 posts
humanboy says

Thanks for the nice words about my theme. I never thought it would be this hard to get anything accepted here.

That’s a good idea about the two options. I’ll at least be changing the navigation to be plain text instead of images. Maybe I’ll go through and comment out some more code and add more to the help file.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

That rejection letter really came from “The” ThemeForest? I ask because of the terrible grammar within the content -

“This item still need more practice to get approved in ThemeForest.”

and…

“This item have some potential based on the functions, however, it required a lot of works to improve its aesthetic quality.”

Seriously – I know it’s a rejection but come on…..

Honestly – to try and help, I believe the comments from Stephanie seem constructive and a step in the right direction – also increasing the usefulness of the help file as you said may help.

I’m worried because I am about to upload my first PSD template – not looking forward to my work receiving:

“it required a lot of works to improve”

;-)

Good luck buddy..

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Just because the grammar isn’t all that great doesn’t mean the reviewer doesn’t know what he/she is doing. Lots of the people that work with Envato are from all around the world so english isn’t their native language.

I would agree with the reviewer on this theme. I wouldn’t say the visual/aesthetic part of the theme is the biggest problem as much as a combination of functionality, aesthetics and documentation.

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
That rejection letter really came from “The” ThemeForest? I ask because of the terrible grammar within the content –

“This item still need more practice to get approved in ThemeForest.”

and…

“This item have some potential based on the functions, however, it required a lot of works to improve its aesthetic quality.”

Seriously – I know it’s a rejection but come on…..

Honestly – to try and help, I believe the comments from Stephanie seem constructive and a step in the right direction – also increasing the usefulness of the help file as you said may help.

I’m worried because I am about to upload my first PSD template – not looking forward to my work receiving:

“it required a lot of works to improve”

;-)

Good luck buddy..

I understood all of it.

Try to understand that it is very likely that the reviewer is not a native English speaker, if it was who I think it was. I know you were only kidding but they might not appreciate it as much :)

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I fail to see the issue with functionality on the live preview – all links work and take you to pages they are supposed to – the carousel works – I don’t see a functionality issue unless I mis-understood your comment.

As I haven’t seen the help file I can’t comment on it.

I understand that it may not be someone’s native language, however if the standards are so high for ThemeForest I would expect a little better… when all said and done, the bulk of the companies business is blog based read by a majority of English speaking consumers.

I am simply stating that I do not see any particular issues with this persons rejected item from what is available to see with the limited amount of information available to us posting here.

707 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ChillThemes says

I feel the header is fine the way it is(many themes use image replacement for the wordpress blog name), but the menu should be text based so the user won’t have to open Photoshop, etc. when they create a new page. Maybe add some subtle borders to the right of”Who We Are” & “What We Do”? Your pagination has more padding when hovered, not sure if that was intentional or not?

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
I fail to see the issue with functionality on the live preview – all links work and take you to pages they are supposed to – the carousel works – I don’t see a functionality issue unless I mis-understood your comment.

As I haven’t seen the help file I can’t comment on it.

I understand that it may not be someone’s native language, however if the standards are so high for ThemeForest I would expect a little better… when all said and done, the bulk of the companies business is blog based read by a majority of English speaking consumers.

I am simply stating that I do not see any particular issues with this persons rejected item from what is available to see with the limited amount of information available to us posting here.
No worries, I promise you Jeffrey or another staff member will see this soon enough and address your concerns :)
12 posts
humanboy says

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think that changing the navigation is a must. In the beginning I wasn’t sure if I should use an image based nav for this very reason. I guess I learned my lesson.

Here’s the link to the help file. Since I know how to use everything, I’m not sure what I should change. http://themeforest.humanboy.com/wp-content/themes/AnotherPortfolio/AnotherPortfolio%20Users%20Guide.txt

Any suggestions on that are welcome.

by
by
by
by
by
by