20 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
gnrocks says

Dear members,

I got rejected today for my submission of a WordPress theme for the second time, and i must say i am starting to be depressed because i have left my job two month ago to work as a freelancer.

I know many of you might have passed through this when you first started, and your feedback would be really appreciated at this moment.

I have searched through the forum, and i realized it was always the same “abstract” rejection reasons that were given.

For my second submission, i have taken in account all the details the reviewer had noted (i had asked for a follow-up the first time). I am now out of inspiration.

Now i am completely lost and afraid lose my submission privilege if it is rejected for the third time.

Here’s a link to the live demo, please tell me what you think about the design, what makes it not unique ?

http://www.lesfeuillesmortes.com/

I am always hooked to the new additions to see the tendancies and i often realise that some templates feature much less options than mine, with even lower quality design (in my opinion) and get approved.

What do you think ?

443 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
SplitV says

Overall it kind of looks like bit’s and pieces from different styles of design all thrown together that don’t come together well as a whole.

Just look at all of the different style of buttons and icons you are using to get an idea of what I’m talking about. There is no cohesive feel between just those elements alone.

You should focus less on features and more on design right now.

751 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+1 more
CyberShot says

I think your design has some real unique things in it. I really like some of the things that you have done. I do see some typography problems in it but nothing to serious that can’t be fixed. I think your design is nice and will be accepted. As for the rejections. Just keep working on the things that the reviewer told you was wrong. Respond to the reviewer and ask real nicely when they might have time if they could give you more detail as to what to fix. Don’t be discouraged. I worked on coding a design for an author that was rejected 6 or more times. I just kept working on it, improving it according to the rejection letter and finally after 6 or 7 times it ended up in a soft rejection which meant that I had one little issue to fix and it finally got approved. Just keep going until they accept it. It doesn’t cost you anything to submit it for review. Don’t give up!

350 posts Gambit
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bfintal says

Hey! don’t lose hope!

When I started here, I had quit my job too.. my first theme had 8 rejections and I was so disheartened, I just gave up and threw that theme in the trash bin. I had to face the truth that my design wasn’t good enough and got started with a new one. My 2nd design got rejected I think 4 times, but finally got through afterwards and it was worth it! My third theme was rejected once, and it was a soft rejection since I forgot to theme-check it using the plugin’s latest version :)

I don’t consider myself to be a good designer, but here’s a tip I learned from designing themes: Just find a single main design element then exploit it, then just design everything else to complement it.

As for your design, I’d have to agree with SplitV. The theme looks like two or more themes joined together. For one, try scrolling to the top of the page in the front page, look at the design, then scroll to the bottom and check out the design.. it kinda looks like you’re viewing 2 different designs. The feel for the icons are different, and the color schemes are different. This is also prevalent with other elements when checking out the other pages; for example, the comments section in blogs doesn’t merge well with the design.

Here’re the other small stuff that’s bothering me:

- The round thumbnails of the slider are too big, they need more contrast and they’re placed too far on the edge.

- The title and subtitle in the slider needs some styling, right now they’re just plain gray text on black floating divs. Add some typography and maybe colors.

- The images in the “From the blog” area are not aligned properly in my screen. The plus button is outside the content area. I don’t quite like the the hover effect and the text that shows up here and the portfolio page also.

- The footer and its elements have too much contrast unlike the rest of the design

- Some of the line-heights seem to be off. For example, the “Learn more here” button is a bit too low, and the footer links beside the copyright text are too high.

- The tabbed posts widget (popular, comments and tags) needs to look like the other widgets.

- The portfolio page has too much free space

- Columns in the column shortcode need more spacing between them, currently they’re only like 5-10px apart

20 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
gnrocks says

Thanks a lot mates !

6 or 8 rejections for some of you, i didn’t think it was possible !

@ SplitV : I think this is what the reviewer means by unique. I had not realised the actual design could give this impression ! Thank you for the tip, I now have a better view of where i might head.

@ CyberShot : thank you for the encouragements !

@ bfintal : thank you for all the points, i will go through them carefully ! I really appreciate it !

All in all, what does good Typography mean ? Is it a matter of color, of space, of size ? For sure it is a mix of all of these, but i can’t manage to see what’s wrong, maybe because i have seen the template thousands of time.

Also, what about spacing ? Do you recommend much spacing ? In my opinion the visual hierarchy comes with elements not too close from each other.

13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
sukkapunchmedia says
by
by
by
by
by
by