5 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeLuxe says

My theme was rejected on the grounds of lacking uniqueness.

I think that the review process is necessary, but it would have been more helpful if there were more specifics. I know there are a lot of great reviewers, but sometimes the responses seem way too generic.

I would really appreciate any feedback or constructive criticism anyone has to offer. Do you think it’s far too similar to other themes? Is it lacking features? Needs more graphics? And if so what areas need the most improvement (header, slider, carousel, footer, etc.)?

http://themeluxe.com/themes/canvas/ Reviewers response:
Your template does not provide a unique enough design with the necessary design quality, features and options to compete in the marketplace at this time. As higher quality templates become available in the marketplace, approval requirements will increase to maintain appropriate marketplace quality.

You might consider improving your design with more unique features and graphics in order for it to stand out among other marketplace items. However, a unique design will be a key factor for approval.

I know it’s frustrating to be rejected citing uniqueness but recently, we’ve gotten a large number of template with the same overall features and presentation and we have to draw the line somewhere.

However, we do accept themes with similar structure but in condition it provides better quality in terms of aesthetic or features.
2152 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
manuelvega says

its very nice & well organized .. maybe layout & design its too normal & no-unique? , anyway i think themes like this should be approved ..

396 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
Jaynesh says

It looks nice and clean but It needs to be more unique.

You are probably feeling like you have wasted a lot of time, but think of this as your framework.

Now you can add more elements, style it and make it more unique. You can then continuously recycle this framework to create other designs.

28 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Mexico
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
Jaheravy says

Yes, I think that is an generic design too.

Some days ago I did a template that looks generic, now, I started a new design of one page with more trendy things.

Check this:

http://themeid.com/web-design-trends-for-2013/

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/galleries/blurred-backgrounds/

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/web-design-trend-2013/

Your design is very good, but is too generic.

1960 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

@ThemeLuxe

I think there are just way too many templates that look too much alike. Try to do a different layout or something that would make it stand out more than the other 10000 templates that look similar.

Cheers

Lester

5 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeLuxe says

Thanks so much for all your feedback. I really do appreciate it.

@manuelvega – Thanks for the positive comments. It probably is just too generic.

@Jaynesh – You’re exactly right. I am feeling like it’s a bunch of time wasted, but it will provide a great framework and that was my main goal since I already have a separate framework for one-page design.

@Jaheravy – Thanks for the links. I think I’ve included most of these concepts into the theme already, but I’m going to revamp it and make it a bit less generic.

@mafloral – I agree that there are a ton of themes that look the same here. I thought I had differentiated this one by making it even cleaner but I might have taken it a step too far.

Thanks again.

28 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Mexico
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
Jaheravy says

Also check Dribbble.com regularly, there are very creative people doing new things, you can be inspired there.

Be persistent, greetings.

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
wpmags says

@manuelvega – Thanks for the positive comments. It probably is just too generic.

@Jaynesh – You’re exactly right. I am feeling like it’s a bunch of time wasted, but it will provide a great framework and that was my main goal since I already have a separate framework for one-page design.

@Jaheravy – Thanks for the links. I think I’ve included most of these concepts into the theme already, but I’m going to revamp it and make it a bit less generic.

@mafloral – I agree that there are a ton of themes that look the same here. I thought I had differentiated this one by making it even cleaner but I might have taken it a step too far.

Thanks again.
Is your theme accepted now or what?
5 posts
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeLuxe says

Thanks again.
Is your theme accepted now or what?

Unfortunately not. I’ve been busy with theme support and clients so I haven’t had time to take another stab at the design.

by
by
by
by
by
by