214 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Pandemic says

This template just got rejected, can you help me figure out what to change to get it accepted? http://xhtmlsource.com/templates/nextBigThing/ http://xhtmlsource.com/templates/nextBigThing/subpage.html

478 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
kevinsturf says

what did the rejection email state was the problem?

214 posts
+2 more
Pandemic says

“This template has a nice concept going but doesn’t aesthetically meet our criteria. The header makes the template feel off balance and several of the template elements need some visual improvements. Try to spend some more time improving the overall aesthetics of the template more along the lines of the Web 2.0 category.”

Which parts need to be improved? And I personally don’t see the issue with the header but if I could get more opinions that would be great!

33 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
dotsona says

Wow, very surprised this was rejected, I think it looks good, and I am usually picky. Maybe your “try it now” buttons need work, but other than that it looks great.

214 posts
+2 more
Pandemic says

Thanks, dotsona! I’ll try adding some gradients to the try it now buttons. Also maybe I’ll extend the logo box out and include the entire logo text inside of it. That should help with the balance issue. Other than that, I’m not sure what to say. :?

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Here’s a little more input:

The header is two different colors giving it a different “weight” on each side. The light green used on the right side of the header isn’t used anywhere else except in the footer. This throws off the color scheme balance to start with.

Then you have many elements that are boxed with a few using rounded corners. The mix of this type of design isn’t the problem but the particular execution of it is. The way the navigation is setup is fairly dated in terms of design as well as certain other elements like the two blocks to the right of the slider.

The footer has the same feel as the navigation (it is dated in terms of design).

The layout itself also doesn’t flow very well. By flow I mean that when you look at it you should be guided through the content but instead it feels visually awkward.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great start but it needs some improvements before it will be ready. I hope this helps.

214 posts
+2 more
Pandemic says

Ok thanks for the extra input! Should I scrap the rounded corners altogether? How could I make the content flow more smoothly so it isn’t “awkward”?

Also, if the boxes to the right of the slider are dated, what should I put there instead?

214 posts
+2 more
Pandemic says

I made some changes and I’m going to re-submit now. Let’s hope it gets accepted this time.

by
by
by
by
by
by