250 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
simnor says

OK I ’m a bit angry at the moment but I’ll try to compose myself.

I submitted this template yesterday: http://webdesign.simnorcomputing.com/themeforest/published/tabfolio/

Before submission I asked designers on twitter what they thought of it and I had nothing but good comments on it, I made sure it worked in all the browsers, validated it, made sure it readjusted itself so it would work fine without JS and everything else so that it was ready for TF, in all the template took me between 8 – 9 hours which is about $800 – $900 of my time, far outweighing what I would make on it.

So I submit it, and this is what I get back:

“Overall the template design is very nice but is too simple. We must be much more selective in the simple templates we approve as they are generally easier and faster to produce and don’t quite offer the same value as other templates at the same price.”

wtf, does this reviewer have any footing in the design community, simple sells, its one of the trends at the moment.

It shouldn’t matter how long something takes me to produce as long as the end result is ok, as for value it offers exactly the same if not more, I even custom coded the jQuery stuff which is far more than what a lot of people on here do, they just use jQuery plugins. And getting back to the “simple” argument: http://themeforest.net/item/animated-portfolio-template/16968 82 sales, simple sells perfectly fine and that template is nothing compared to this (btw thats one of mine)

I’ve just woke up so I’m sure I would have more to say, the whole of yesterday has been a waste and this has just ruined my day today. Really not happy.

46 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
flashark says

How dare you to question reviewers taste for nice, and for selling !!! ;). :D

Yup, more and more unsatisfied authors, i was writing about this, but there was no one to support me.

Btw, your template is great and pretty unique, and simple and intuitive for use, 5+ for navigation choice.

I will for sure buy something “simple” like this rather than many others “awe” approved templates on TF.

372 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
mrjasmin says

It¨s a great template. I think that your template is better than at least 10% templates on TF.

372 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
mrjasmin says

Look at this template. How can the template above be acepted and yours not ? The template above looks lika a free-template.

478 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
kevinsturf says

I also think its unique and should be available to be sold on TF but somewhere deep down in me tells me it looks a bit too plain as it is. I dunno, I’m just saying.

p.s: love the jquery effect of switching into different tabs.

698 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says

It’s pretty nice template simnor and could use a lot of people. The design is minimal and that should not be discussed. Thumbs up for this one.

Additionally: to make it stand out more,You could add some gradients and details, but don’t step too far from minimal look which I think is good.

220 posts
+2 more
ronn0 says

My theme is rejected 4 times now, just some little changes and rejected again.

I think people want to use my theme when it’s perfect, I go on, go on, go on. That’s the though a designer have to got.

And not design, place and be rich in a few days.

23 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Lahdekorpi says

It’s a great template and it has the potential to become a best seller here. I understand the use of grayscale in the template but you could probably get it approved by making couple different color schemes of it, just to make it less WYSIWYG .

250 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
simnor says

Hi guys, thanks for the support, I’ve emailed ThemeForest and asked them to get another reviewer to look at it, so hopefully with this thread we may be able to turn this around, I’m happy to make a few changes to it but I do not want it to detract from the simplicity element which is what I was going for.

There seems to be a lot of what I’d call rubbish templates making their way onto the site and decent ones are missing out because the reviewer doesn’t like it, there needs to be a shake up in the reviewing department on TF else they’re gonna deter people like me from submitting, I’m certainly not wasting a whole days work on one template to have it rejected because of ridiculous reasons like this.

@flashark: Thats the biggest problem with the review process, its based on their taste, I don’t want to pull the reviewer up on this too much but I checked out his portfolio, and he’s not what I’d call a great designer.

@mrjasmin: yeah like I said above, so many crap templates are finding their way onto the site when they’d look out of place as free themes.

@Lahdekorpi: I would make different colour schemes for it but it would overcomplicate it a bit I think, so many templates are offering that including one of mine but it sort of detracts from the simplicity in a way, it may be something I consider down the line.

698 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says
I would make different colour schemes for it but it would overcomplicate it a bit I think, so many templates are offering that including one of mine but it sort of detracts from the simplicity in a way, it may be something I consider down the line.

Don’t, just let customers do the colors. I think it’s great this way.

by
by
by
by
by
by