1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says
Simnor, I like some of your web templates. They’re pretty cool and seem useful. I even considered purchasing one, but after seeing how you’ve acted in this thread, I’ve decided to buy one from someone that has a real appreciation for design and being a designer. Maybe you do have that appreciation, but you cut other people down during your temper tantrums so I don’t see it that way. I just wanted to let you know that sometimes your actions speak louder than your design talents and can rub someone the wrong way. I just hope your tirade hasn’t cost you more than just MY sale. There’s a way to be professional and I hope you can learn that.

I have to quote this, good lesson for everyone of us :) We are still young and there are a lot more to learn.

698 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says
Simnor, I like some of your web templates. They’re pretty cool and seem useful. I even considered purchasing one, but after seeing how you’ve acted in this thread, I’ve decided to buy one from someone that has a real appreciation for design and being a designer. Maybe you do have that appreciation, but you cut other people down during your temper tantrums so I don’t see it that way. I just wanted to let you know that sometimes your actions speak louder than your design talents and can rub someone the wrong way. I just hope your tirade hasn’t cost you more than just MY sale. There’s a way to be professional and I hope you can learn that.

I have to quote this, good lesson for everyone of us :) We are still young and there are a lot more to learn.

Rule number one says:

Behave on the forum like You would in real life.

43 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
sunschild57 says
Coach Bobby Knight comes to mind after reading your comment. Bobby Knight has a very abrasive personality. His is known for his tantrums on and off the basketball court. I would not want to hang out with the man or have a personal relationship with him but if I were a college looking for a basketball coach, he would be on the top of my list. A good product is my bottom line; I could care less about the rest.
250 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
simnor says

Right guys, I’ve resubmitted it now so hopefully this will go through and we can put this thread to rest

The main template: http://webdesign.simnorcomputing.com/themeforest/published/tabfolio

And the colour options: http://webdesign.simnorcomputing.com/themeforest/published/tabfolio/screens/5_red.jpg http://webdesign.simnorcomputing.com/themeforest/published/tabfolio/screens/6_blue.jpg http://webdesign.simnorcomputing.com/themeforest/published/tabfolio/screens/7_green.jpg

@jtsuth I’m sorry that you felt that you couldn’t buy one of my templates because of this thread and I do hope that this isn’t the view of everyone else. I started this thread because my theme was rejected on the wrong grounds, I always get second opinions on my designs before I ever submit stuff to this site and I didn’t get one bad comment from the designers I asked, some of which have been in the industry for years. The purpose of the thread was to find out exactly why it was rejected and it came to light that it was because of a reason which should have no place in the reviewing process, no one has defended that reason including the staff so it is quite clear that it was wrong.

As for me not acting professional, I act extremely professionally in all my work, however lets just take this example:

I get commissioned to design something, the client doesn’t like it, he still has to pay for the work I have done, thats how the industry works and I know that TF is not the same but when I spend time on a template and its rejected for reasons that shouldn’t play a role in the process you can understand that I get angry, there are times when professionalism just isn’t the way to go because you just get ignored.

However, the thread did get extremely heated but now we’ve all got what we wanted off our chests, we can now move on and hopefully reviewers will be careful from now on as to how they review templates. I seem to remember a rather heated debate last year and the result was a commission change, as I’ve said before an email to the site manager can be deleted and ignored, a 7 page debate in the forums cannot.

I think now its time to move on because its getting into a territory which is starting to be unpleasant and I may be some of the cause of that, so I’m not going to reply to this thread again and hopefully it will just die out.

And thanks to everybody who supported my cause in this, hopefully the template will be available for sale soon.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hey simnor, I just have a few questions so we can clarify a few things. I just want to make sure we’re understanding things correctly. Sometimes during communication things can get mixed which can be a cause of additional problems and I would like to try my best to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

...I started this thread because my theme was rejected on the wrong grounds…

Ok, you’ve stated that you started this thread because your template was rejected on the wrong grounds. Can you clarify exactly what grounds you’re referring to?

I always get second opinions on my designs before I ever submit stuff to this site and I didn’t get one bad comment from the designers I asked, some of which have been in the industry for years. The purpose of the thread was to find out exactly why it was rejected and it came to light that it was because of a reason which should have no place in the reviewing process, no one has defended that reason including the staff so it is quite clear that it was wrong.

I wanted to clarify here that although the designers said nothing bad (remember I didn’t say anything bad either) they also do not know our full criteria for approval. If they had known, they most likely would still have not said anything bad about it but might have pointed out that it may not be what meets our criteria. From what I understand, you disagree with one part of the criteria used in the review process? I assume that part you disagree with is clarified by replying to the above question.

...we can now move on and hopefully reviewers will be careful from now on as to how they review templates.

I think that our team of reviewers are always careful as to how we review templates. I personally always try to keep in mind that it is someone’s hard work I am critiquing and to be very polite while also doing my job efficiently (I’m sure you understand the balance between client professionalism/politeness and still performing your job efficiently and quickly). I assume you feel I reviewed your template carelessly by the grounds you clarify above.

- -

I’m not trying to keep this discussion going as I agree it has gone plenty far enough. I just wanted to try to clarify the exact grounds being referred to. I’m always trying to do my job better and this is just part of that. :)

76 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
g_gilmore says
Yep, opinions are like a-holes…

- In this kind of design, fixed is the norm.

- the portfolio pieces are examples, people don’t use them on their actual websites, do they?

- sites geared to grown ups are usually subdued when it comes to color. My favorite sites are usually the black and white ones. Logo, for what? I have my own.

Take a look at my favorite site: http://www.gogogunner.com

Also, why does this theme get a go?
I love that site too, but note it’s perfect color placement on the vertical bands.

I am not suggesting throwing in a rainbow background. Simple touches, just like on your favourite site, are all that is required.

Just because “fixed is the norm” doesn’t mean you have to do it. Every user has control over his/her content. I understand you’ll want a min-height, but I see no reason why it shouldn’t be able to extend a line or two.

Anyways,

@simnor, good luck on the resubmit, I doubt you’l run into any troubles this time around.

2529 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Sorry, Simnor; I can’t hang Jarel out to dry. He was correct in rejecting your template. Just because he didn’t tell you every single issue doesn’t mean that they didn’t exist.

I would have rejected the template simply on the cursor issue alone.

If you’ve made the changes and resubmitted, it should hopefully be accepted. :)

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Just wanted to say real quick that simnor responded to my questions via email so we can leave this thread be. Thanks for everyone’s input, this is what makes the Envato communities great. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by