• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
Ansimuz says

Hi

I just got my latest template rejected wit the default message:

1.Your template has a good start but, as we have high standards, you will need to make some additional improvements in overall aesthetics and aspects such as typography, graphics, and spacing.

2. There are a few inconsistent spacing/padding issues throughout the design. I’d like you to go over it with a fine toothed comb and weed out these basic design issues.

3. Overall template’s typography needs additional refinements and improvements before it will be ready for Theme Forest….

i’d like to hear some feedback from you that helps me to improve the design. i wll keep the original rejected template on this link http://luiszuno.com/themes/zen-original/ and the changes made on this one:

http://luiszuno.com/themes/zen/
2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

I think you have a problem with colors. The background color in my opinion is very dull and makes the theme look old fashioned (but not vintage if you what I mean).

21 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
ReaxionGraphics says

Personally I wouldn’t go so far as saying the background is out dated – I see what you are going for. My only comment on background is I’d stop the top left background from scrolling, keep it up there top left!

Your design is minimalistic and totally hinges on the perfection of your typography and spacing, that’s 100% of your hook so just keep refining! Personally I’d say it would be a relief to only have to refine text vs site wide graphic elements! Hopefully you just have to play with your CSS (unless you are packaging your PSD as well. I’d suggest working backwards with your CSS and then match the PSD in that case, but that’s just me! Whatever works!)

Good luck!

441 posts
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
readactor says

except home page and blog section, the rest of pages have alignment problem with sidebar icon and top icons (social).

will be a nice theme.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
JamiGibbs says

I really love this design, Luis. It has a really nice modern ‘cool’ thing going on.

But I think I’m with skasprick about the typography. It’s a minimalist design so you really have to be on point with that. Your font choices aren’t doing anything for me. Especially the navigation. I think the navigation is lacking a good font choice and has poor padding overall.

The other thing I noticed are the tooltips for your social icons at the top. With the dark image underneath them, they appear to be cut off. I’m not sure if you can try a different position with them or not but that’s a nagging issue for me.

Otherwise I really dig your style on this one.

1332 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

Lol, I am developing a VERY similar one :) Good luck.

257 posts luiszuno.com
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Ansimuz says
ThemeProvince said
I think you have a problem with colors. The background color in my opinion is very dull and makes the theme look old fashioned (but not vintage if you what I mean).

I’ll make some testing with other colors, any particular color you think it may work.

257 posts luiszuno.com
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Ansimuz says
skasprick said
Personally I wouldn’t go so far as saying the background is out dated – I see what you are going for. My only comment on background is I’d stop the top left background from scrolling, keep it up there top left!

Your design is minimalistic and totally hinges on the perfection of your typography and spacing, that’s 100% of your hook so just keep refining! Personally I’d say it would be a relief to only have to refine text vs site wide graphic elements! Hopefully you just have to play with your CSS (unless you are packaging your PSD as well. I’d suggest working backwards with your CSS and then match the PSD in that case, but that’s just me! Whatever works!)

Good luck!

Great advice, i’ll fix that background to stick on its place when scrolling.

I am working on the graphic elements so the layout looks cleaner. And definitively i will work backwards on the files.

Keep coming to see the changes on the link: luiszuno.com/themes/zen/

Thanks

257 posts luiszuno.com
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Ansimuz says
readactor said
except home page and blog section, the rest of pages have alignment problem with sidebar icon and top icons (social). will be a nice theme.

Thanks for your feedback i will align that :D

257 posts luiszuno.com
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Ansimuz says
JamiGibbs said
I really love this design, Luis. It has a really nice modern ‘cool’ thing going on.

But I think I’m with skasprick about the typography. It’s a minimalist design so you really have to be on point with that. Your font choices aren’t doing anything for me. Especially the navigation. I think the navigation is lacking a good font choice and has poor padding overall.

The other thing I noticed are the tooltips for your social icons at the top. With the dark image underneath them, they appear to be cut off. I’m not sure if you can try a different position with them or not but that’s a nagging issue for me.

Otherwise I really dig your style on this one.

Jami

Thanks for your comments. They really help me to see things on a different point of view, i was drowning here and now i can see a way to improve my design.

I’m looking for a different font family, and will revise with a comb all the padding and spacing (i always have a hard time with this) and will update the theme in this link:

http://luiszuno.com/themes/zen/

Thanks everyone keep posting.

by
by
by
by
by
by