332 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

So, today I’ve submitted my first WordPress theme and.. big shocker here! ..it got rejected! ;)

This is the rejection email I’ve got:

We’re sorry, your item Creative Skeleton – responsive WordPress theme has not been approved for sale on ThemeForest. This is the reason given by our item inspector:
1. Your file has some well done design concepts, however it does not meet the current and very stringent quality guidelines and we can not accept your file at this time. You will need to make some additional improvements in overall aesthetics and aspects such as graphics and spacing.
2. There are a few inconsistent spacing issues throughout the design.
3. Overall template’s typography needs additional refinements and improvements before it will be ready for sale.
4. Even with the current design, a significant increase in the polish of the various aspects of the template may just swing the decision in your favor.

So, I don’t really know what to do now :( Theme looks pretty cool to me, but I guess keepin it simple won’t make a deal.

Ok, let’s keep it short. This is the theme – Creative Skeleton. Maybe you guys could help me to improve it? ;)

Thanks in advance!

359 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
billyf says

Hi,

You have got the exact same message as when I first submitted my item :p Well, your design looks quite good, but here are some things which can still be improved : 1) The navigation menu / buttons require more improvements, both spacing (horizontal and vertical space around the text aren’t the same?) and design wise. 2) The slider image seems a bit too small, personally. I would prefer a slider which occupies greater height, or one which can be seen at the centre of the screen. 3) I would prefer to be able to click at the images of the portfolio items to view the items, instead of having to navigate to the bottom-right corner of the images and click at the title. 4) The sidebar need more work. It seems rather ‘unfinished’. Also, personally, I find those ‘moving links’ a bit ‘annoying’, especially when you try to hover on the left side and the link just moves away.

Good luck improving your theme :) I can see the potential of it getting accepted.

332 posts
+3 more
dekciw says
Heya, billyf! Thanks for taking your time to look and my theme and pointing out the things you don’t like.
  • 1. I kinda agree with that, navigation seems very simple, but I actually tried to do it that way. Maybe I will try to work on it more.
  • 2. Slider height can be set to any size in admin panel. When you create a page, you can set any height for header-section, and just have a solid color, image or slider appear in there. You can also attach a slider anywhere in page (like you mentioned, center of the screen) using one of built in shortcodes.
  • 3. I’ve also had that in my mind. That’s pretty easy to implement, but that way there’s no point having clickable titles.. Maybe I will figure something.
  • 4. As the theme is responsive, I made the links in sidebar not to move on mobile devices, cause I’ve encountered that annoying problem testing on my mobile device. Tho, didn’t have any problem clicking them on my desktop pc. As I’ve tried to keep the theme as clean as possible, I’ve also made the sidebar that way intentionally.
  • I’m already working on the typography. +1-2px body copy with a little bit bigger line-height looks better, actually. Maybe I will try to use Lora font for that also. But don’t really know if the theme will look good with body text in serif.

Maybe some thoughts on footer? Cause I personally struggled with that a lot.

Thanks again!

332 posts
+3 more
dekciw says

Anyone else? :)

332 posts