• Halloween Competition Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
LoveThemes says

Okay, firstly I’d just like to say that I very rarely post about rejections as it’s counter productive and usually just a waste of my time that I could better spend designing, but this time I just need to vent!

Live Demo

So, the story.

After getting my first theme accepted after a few minor rejections I thought okay, that wasn’t too bad, I’ll do another and off I went.

After the first theme rejections I took onboard the reviewers comments and decided to post to Forrst for feedback before submitting, the theme received a lot of positive feedback from designers and potential buyers alike, all good, let’s submit!

So, the first rejection from Kailoon, definately expected at least one, this was the usual generic stuff.

You might consider improving your design with more unique features and graphics in order for it to stand out among other marketplace items…

So away I went made some tweaks, added some additional stuff and came back again.

Second rejection, this time from Ivor.

Overall theme typography needs additional refinements and improvements before it will be ready for ThemeForest. The theme needs improvements in visual hierarchy primarily using typographic elements such as headings. There is a lot of inconsistent spacing/padding issues throughout the template. I’d like you to go over the design with a fine toothed comb and weed out these basic design issues.

Hmm, strange, this reviewer picked up on stuff that wasn’t mentioned in the first rejection.

Sorry but there isn’t any padding or hierarchy issues. Bare in mind, this theme uses the same Typographical CSS and visual hierarchy as my approved theme, the only difference is the Cufon font face.

So, I go away and make tiny incremental changes to the paddings, mainly gave the headers a little more breathing space on the bottom. Time to submit again.

Third rejection, this time back to Kailoon.

Slider bug

Please provide at least one option for theme locations under menu.

Your shortcode styling is having problem – columns.

The portfolio setup page is not user friendly.

The overall design is OK, but it just failed to stand out as a premium theme as we already have tons of similar templates available on ThemeForest. Please try to improve this and provide something slightly different.

Hmm, okay, something a little more constructive!

I could not replicate the slider bug without removing an if/else statement from the core so added some CSS just to make sure. Added the WP3 menu locations, checked all the shortcodes and made improvements to the portfolio setup.

Submit yet again.

Fourth rejection, again Kailoon.

Still, the portfolio page setup is not user friendly. Your previous theme, as you notice, it is not perform well. So, there may be something is missing there. The overall design is OK, but it just failed to stand out as a premium theme as we already have tons of similar templates available on ThemeForest. Please try to improve this and provide something slightly different.

Hmm, right. Went away improved the portfolio setup yet again and added some additional styling. Submitting again…are you bored yet?

Fifth rejection, Kailoon.

The setup of the filter portfolio using shortcode is not a good option. It should utilize the categories/tags in wp for the title and custom loop for the content. You may add the option to disable certain categories/tags. The design is lack of uniqueness. We do accept similar templates but in better quality. The design lacks the necessary uniqueness for the marketplace at this time.

Okay, well it might just be me, but I think using [portfolio]Your Image[/portfolio] in a page is far easier than using a custom post type and adding individual items each time and dragging them into the loop.

Either way, if that was the only issue I’d probably just change it to how the reviewer wants.

What bothers me the most is “lack of uniqueness”.

Come on, 99% of the current themes in the Marketplace are very much alike with only minor things to differentiate them.

I could sit here for weeks on end picking up on themes that look like other themes, a direct copy is one thing but a comparative is another. As for “better quality”, I’ve seen all sorts of themes pass approval and they have major flaws, some are even broke!

As others have mentioned in previous rejections and will probably mention in future rejections, it seems like a lot of the approval process goes on the authors name rather than the item in question.

Other than completely re-designing my theme to be more “unique” I don’t actually see a way of improving the theme sufficiently to gain approval.

Am I willing to do this? I doubt it.

Again, as many other authors have pointed out in previous rejection posts the review process really needs to be refactored before Themeforest loses yet more designers and what would Themeforest be without the designers?

Live Demo

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and please, feel free to leave some constructive criticism!

Kind Regards, Scott.

1141 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
KarmaThemes says

Hi Scott, sorry for your troubles!

Come on, 99% of the current themes in the Marketplace are very much alike with only minor things to differentiate them.
I kindly disagree, there are many very unique and awesome themes in the most recent items at the moment that totally stand out. I agree with kailoon (did I just say that? :D), your theme is too generic.

the review process really needs to be refactored before Themeforest loses yet more designers and what would Themeforest be without the designers?
The point is – your theme does already exist on themeforest a 100+ times. Themeforest will not suffer if your or 100+ other themes that look just the same will not be represented on the marketplace, because if a buyer is looking for such a theme, he can find it within a minute. So themeforest will neither lose money nor customers (or designers!) if they don’t approve that kind of design anymore. In fact, customers were complaining for months in a lot of threads about the lack of uniqueness in themes. And that’s what themeforest’s team reacted to.

I know how frustrated you are, we’ve all been through that, but please keep your head up and keep up the good work!

All the best,
GC

70 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
lastrose says

Have you tested this theme at low resolutions? at 1024 you’re just ok, however anything smaller (think netbook) there is no horizontal scroll.

1237 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
LoveThemes says
The point is – your theme does already exist on themeforest a 100+ times…

Hey GC,

Yes I agree, and that’s the point I’m making. They do exist, yet they still get approved too.

I’m not going to mention any names, but a day after my rejection a theme VERY similar to mine was approved. It didn’t have features that mine doesn’t and wasn’t graphically any better, so the fact remains, why?

Scott.

1237 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
LoveThemes says

Have you tested this theme at low resolutions? at 1024 you’re just ok, however anything smaller (think netbook) there is no horizontal scroll.

Hi lastrose,

Yes I have, but going of webstats I base most of my designs at either 960px or 1000px max width but I don’t think that is why the theme was rejected, after all it would take seconds to remove the overflow-x: hidden;

Thanks, Scott.

1237 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
LoveThemes says

Also, if you read the way the rejections went, it was basically “do this”, and “how about this”, and “this” then reject it anyway.

Why waste the designers time, if you’re going to reject it no matter what?

Scott.

1237 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
LoveThemes says

Well that seems a pointless exercise. No responses….

Either my assumptions where correct or people just don’t want to offer advice and/or constructive criticism.

by
by
by
by
by
by