556 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeScience says

When we submit $10,000 WP themes for sale here,and they get rejected, are they rejected with non specifics as to what the issues at hand really are?

Or do reviewers actually tell you what needs to be fixed, so you can fix the issue and resubmit and get approved?

If the problems are not that clear, how can we solve them?

1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

What do you mean by “$10,000 WP themes”? Is that your development cost?

Reviewers will give you direct feedback on technical issues such as problems with installation, errors, not following WP standards, etc. if they are the cause for the rejection. If your design is not good enough they will not tell you what to do to make it better. Sometimes they might specify a lack of contrast making text unreadable, or other obvious issues, but design is subjective and part of your job not theirs. A technical issue with the code is a different thing because in many cases there is a right and wrong, design is not the same so they can only give you so much feedback in that area.

They won’t leave you hanging. I’ve always gotten great feedback from the reviewers. They’ve found bugs for me that I didn’t encounter in my own testing because they have a different system and prevented me from releasing products to my customer before they were ready. Just trust that they are here to help you not hurt you.

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
BroOf says

If there are only some problems with the file the reviewer will tell you what’s wrong. If you get the standard message like you design needs improvements and you don’t know what to improve you can ask the reviewer directly.

And if you need some feedback you can also ask in the forums. There are a lot of people willing to help you ;)

556 posts
+4 more
ThemeScience says

Reviewers will give you direct feedback on technical issues such as problems with installation, errors, not following WP standards, etc. if they are the cause for the rejection. If your design is not good enough they will not tell you what to do to make it better. Sometimes they might specify a lack of contrast making text unreadable, or other obvious issues, but design is subjective and part of your job not theirs. A technical issue with the code is a different thing because in many cases there is a right and wrong, design is not the same so they can only give you so much feedback in that area.

They won’t leave you hanging. I’ve always gotten great feedback from the reviewers. They’ve found bugs for me that I didn’t encounter in my own testing because they have a different system and prevented me from releasing products to my customer before they were ready. Just trust that they are here to help you not hurt you.

Yes thats a typical development cost for our wordpress themes. When we make an investment like this, we wanna be sure we arent just shut out as far as specifics.

following WP standards

Exactly where is there is a list of WP Standards so we can see if we are intelligent enough to understand them :) would you have a link, or any info ? If so that would be super!

The problem here is specifics, so your saying that with submitted wordpress themes , the reviewers would be able to tell us “specifically” what the problem is, so we can fix it right?

Because the last thing we wanna hear after investing 10k into a theme is “Your File does not meet our Criteria”

By the way, thank you for responding.

556 posts
+4 more
ThemeScience says

If there are only some problems with the file the reviewer will tell you what’s wrong. If you get the standard message like you design needs improvements and you don’t know what to improve you can ask the reviewer directly. And if you need some feedback you can also ask in the forums. There are a lot of people willing to help you ;)

Ok, just making sure, we definitely wanna be able to fix the issues, instead of playing guessing games…. Thanks

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
PixelBin says

If you’re charging $10,000 to develop a theme, I would hope you are able to come up with an appealing, functional design and a strong code foundation behind it. The reviewers won’t shut you out if the theme is good, I can tell you that.

556 posts
+4 more
ThemeScience says

If you’re charging $10,000 to develop a theme, I would hope you are able to come up with an appealing, functional design and a strong code foundation behind it. The reviewers won’t shut you out if the theme is good, I can tell you that.

Well thats good to know! Yeah we typically have a good eye, but we are not perfect. Thanks for your input…

+10 more
Parallelus says

following WP standards
Exactly where is there is a list of WP Standards so we can see if we are intelligent enough to understand them :) would you have a link, or any info ? If so that would be super!

Here you go: http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development ;)

They are not going to check your theme to see if you use a WP built-in function or you created something custom, but if you don’t include the basic standards, like “wp_head()”, “wp_footer()”, and such, it should get rejected.

This might also help you, posted by one of the reviewers “kailoon”

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/tools-tips-for-wp-authors/40268

There are dozens of threads on the forums about theme rejections, requirements, reviews and what they look for, most have feedback in the thread directly from the reviewers answering just these types of questions. Might be worth a search.

And as BroOf said, you can communicate directly with the reviewer.

+10 more
Parallelus says

Yes thats a typical development cost for our wordpress themes.

Is that actually your internal “cost”, as in what you spend not what you charge?

556 posts
+4 more
ThemeScience says

following WP standards

Here you go: http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development ;)

They are not going to check your theme to see if you use a WP built-in function or you created something custom, but if you don’t include the basic standards, like “wp_head()”, “wp_footer()”, and such, it should get rejected.

This might also help you, posted by one of the reviewers “kailoon”

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/tools-tips-for-wp-authors/40268

There are dozens of threads on the forums about theme rejections, requirements, reviews and what they look for, most have feedback in the thread directly from the reviewers answering just these types of questions. Might be worth a search.

And as BroOf said, you can communicate directly with the reviewer.

Ok, perfect bro! Thank you for helping us in the right direction here.

Yes thats a typical development cost for our wordpress themes.
Is that actually your internal “cost”, as in what you spend not what you charge?

Thats just a ball park, but we generally rate our work at 100 per hour so I just did some quick thinking ,and came i came up with that number… lol

No thats not our internal cost. Thank God!

by
by
by
by
by
by