738 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

I’ve always been able to make websites, but the process takes so long because I never really got a full education on the system. (side effect of bad self-learning) My CSS and HTML is not very semantic, and I make very little use of everything but the basic elements CSS has to offer. I haven’t even touched HTML5 or CSS3, and really want to delve back into the web design & development scene. I have decided to focus solely on front-end design & development.

My question is, what resources do you know that are absolutely amazing and will help me build a solid foundation? (something I haven’t had at all)

I already obviously know about nettuts, but I do not know of a tutorial series that is appropriate for this; I want to note I would rather this be a very concise experience; I don’t want to be jumping from website to website learning bits and pieces. That is why I’m rather interested in literature instead; BOOKS!

Thank you, A fellow Envatian with a horrible record of inactivity

Edit: I forgot to mention I design using Fireworks, because that is what I started on (A beginner web class in high school, I almost wish I never took those courses. After the first one they started… Flash… Puke)

Should I allocate some time to learning Photoshop? Fireworks is great for quick mock-ups, but when it gets to making creative elements, it can be a strange process. Fireworks is great for layout, but not very good for real design. I almost hate saying that because I’ve always touted Fireworks as a great web design resource, but my designs pale in comparison to many designs here…

Edit2: Also, what would designers recommend for web design concepts? I’m really looking to expand my knowledge on all fronts here, and am willing to dedicate a lot of time to this endeavor.

412 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
mitdralla says

Lynda.com I use it a lot. Lots of great tuorials on there. It is not free though.

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

Lynda.com I use it a lot. Lots of great tuorials on there. It is not free though.

That looks pretty professional, for sure. Can you vouch for the HTML/CSS/JS tutorials? I noticed you only have GraphicRiver items submitted. I’m mainly going to need it for the coding aspects.

Thank you mitdralla!

no-thumbnail
MoonRocketStudio Recent Posts Threads Started
18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
MoonRocketStudio says

I was in your shoes not to long ago, meaning I knew HTML, CSS, but didn’t feel my code was as professional and up to standard. If I wanted to be taken serious in the web design world I would need more clean code, but what helped me improve was studying source.

I have seen other authors here mention this, and I totally agree. Studying source code, and dissecting it really helps. Really it’s one step at a time, JS should be after HTML/CSS. The first time JS clicked was when I downloaded jaralax its a cool way to make elements move when a user scrolls their mouse, just by playing with that I understood JS basically manipulates HTML CSS, and since I knew HTML/CSS I could understand why and when to use JS opposed to a few years back when JS made no sense….

So moral of the story, study source download some opensource projects and fiddle with things yourself, I confirm lyndia.com and nettuts are amazing resources but IMO I think google + source is the best way to learn.

1862 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

I have this one and really like it:

http://hardboiledwebdesign.com/

It shows you some techniques and approaches on how to make your CSS more bulletproof.

You can learn the basics online, you can search for an answer to your current problem online (stackoverflow), so I would only recommend to buy books which are philosophically deeper rather than plain ol’ technical.

412 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
mitdralla says

That looks pretty professional, for sure. Can you vouch for the HTML/CSS/JS tutorials? I noticed you only have GraphicRiver items submitted. I’m mainly going to need it for the coding aspects.

Thank you mitdralla!

I do GR in my spare time. By day I am a software engineer focusing on PHP, HTML5 and CSS3. All their Wordpress stuff is great. PHP and HTML CSS.

http://www.lynda.com/search?q=html5&x=0&y=0

Ofcourse things can be really general starting off but these lessons get really indepth.

787 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • India
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
laranz says
738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

Thank you mitdralla!

I do GR in my spare time. By day I am a software engineer focusing on PHP, HTML5 and CSS3. All their Wordpress stuff is great. PHP and HTML CSS.

http://www.lynda.com/search?q=html5&x=0&y=0 Ofcourse things can be really general starting off but these lessons get really indepth.

Thank you for the follow-up. Lynda.com is looking very appetizing right now. I’ve checked it out myself and they seem to have some solid courses for what I’d like, and at $25 a month and access to everything, I could definitely find time to learn even more! I’ll give myself a little bit more time to think about it, but this is looking like a much better alternative.

2159 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
Nitro_Themes says

One thing tho is that you can find cool stuff on the web for learning but for me a lot of things were just trial and error and i think this is the best way of learning.

If I were you i would do some html5 css3 tutorial there are a tonne of great sites. I like this site there are a lot of cool things that you can learn check it out.

http://tutorialzine.com/category/tutorials/

cheers

Lester

by
by
by
by
by
by