13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
gtantra says

Most of the theme developers are dedicated to providing great after sales, and in turn get more revenue by gaining trust & confidence from the buyers.

But I have come across theme’s which are not updated often, have bad support and are probably abandoned… What is Envato doing in such cases ?

If there is no software version update – old customers suffer with security threats, new customers will not buy and its just a waste of space on themeforest.

Why does’nt Envato remove theme’s which are not supported or which are abandoned by their developers?

1792 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

support is optional, not mandatory. If a theme works fine, there’s no reason to remove it. You’re buying a theme, not support or updates.

1527 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Yes, its kind of rude to think that with 45USD you buy a life time service with the theme isn’t it?

13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
gtantra says

Im not asking for a lifetime free service, Im just saying the marketplace needs to be cleaned up to focus on theme’s and developers that are upto the mark.

And a theme that runs on an extremely outdated version of wordpress !!! Is that considered “working” ? Wordpress.org always insists that we use an updated version of the software. An oudated theme is most like to break on the latest software versions, or if installed on it own outdated version – its more likely to be hit by security issues. So is this Theme considered “working” ?

1484 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

Of course. If theme works on all WP versions listed on the product page, then it works.

What you are talking about are lifetime updates, which authors can’t charge for on Envato, so it’s up to author to decide if updating it makes sense for his budget or not, but he is certainly not required to do so.

1298 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+7 more
ImanGM says

Hey,

First I should say that I completely agree with @gtantra.

I know that authors cannot provide lifetime updates for an item and they cannot charge for this service. But, if the author is not updating his/her item and this item is dead, it should not be available here to let the author make extra money for something that is not working anymore…

I guess Envato has some quality control system for this. Actually they can’t check every item for this. But I remember that I’ve read somewhere in Envato site that they do remove such items.

So if you find such items on the marketplace that is not working with recent updates, you should report it to Envato support and let them check if this item is good enough to stay on the marketplace or not…

Cheers,
Iman

1357 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

I know that authors cannot provide lifetime updates for an item and they cannot charge for this service. But, if the author is not updating his/her item and this item is dead, it should not be available here to let the author make extra money for something that is not working anymore…

No updates =/= item doesn’t work.

In fact, for all of my items, those that haven’t been updated in a while normally means that they’re now perfectly stable :)

Whilst I agree that WordPress themes should be working with every update, if you’re doing your themes properly, you shouldn’t need to update them anyway. Case and point, Pinster, my first theme here, released on WP 3.4, works perfectly in 3.8+ with no updates.

So why should items be judged on their last update date, if they’re working perfectly anyway?

As always, if a buyer makes a purchase and it doesn’t work, contact Envato Support:

http://support.envato.com

And it will be investigated, if it’s found to not work, the item will be disabled and you’ll be refunded. That’s it.

87 posts Web Geek
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Located in India
+4 more
templatin says

I strongly agree with @gtantra.

There are some themes (items) which do not support latest software (for Ecommerce category) and ultimately their sales are freezed.

I think Envato should introduce a rule saying the item will be removed if it doesn’t get a sale, for say, 3 months.

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
WPWiseOwl says

Since it can be dangerous for obvious reasons to remain on a older version too long, any item that no longer supports (or plans to support) the latest available stable release of WP should be retired. This sends buyers a message that it may be time to switch themes / authors (soon). Lifetime updates / support are definitely an unreasonable expectation.

Retiring old themes also prevents less savvy buyers from purchasing items that either won’t work on their newly opened hosting account (that installs latest WP by default) or quickly becoming a regrettable purchase if already out of date. This is a bit of an ignorance landmine that new Envato users may stumble upon and fall victim to. I don’t agree that an item should remain just because it’ll never stop working with the old versions on it’s item detail page.

I agree there is a certain degree of caveat emptor involved in purchases here, Envato and/or Authors could certainly do more to protect new buyers that might not return to buy again after having a bad experience.

249 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
DanThemes says

... any item that no longer supports (or plans to support) the latest available stable release of WP should be retired … Lifetime updates / support are definitely an unreasonable expectation.

It seems like you’re contradicting yourself by saying that you’re expecting authors to constantly update their items for every new WP release, but you also consider that lifetime updates are an exaggeration… the two don’t go together very well. For how long should authors update their items until you can say that they’ve done enough. One year? 2? 10?

by
by
by
by
by
by