368 posts Design Innovation
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
designova says

Personally we dont care about ratings for our themes. Once we have unique design and features on a theme it will get sales. Once it get sales it will automatically get ratings. What we point in this thread is:

There should be 10 minimum ratings for a theme to display the ratings info unlike the current 3.

That said we are hereby stopping the discussion on this thread as it goes off-topic and it turns out to be one-sided and may be get locked soon :)

595 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
designcise says

I’ve seen some very poor coding on themeforest, and some themes hog on computer memory crazily. Most buyers don’t see that nor do they get that because of lack of technical knowledge. Ones who do know, create a roar and for them I think rating 1 star is justified but on the other hand, I think anything rated below 3 stars need to have a review from the buyer. If they were that frustrated with the product, at least the author deserves to know why so he can fix it in future versions.

Plus I also think, once the item is updated, if there’s a significant update, the ratings should be allowed to reset in someway, as in a way, it’s a completely new product.

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Plus I also think, once the item is updated, if there’s a significant update, the ratings should be allowed to reset in someway, as in a way, it’s a completely new product.

You are so innocent that you don’t know this is bad business. The update supposed to cause future positive ratings to balance the average by itself. Not all the old buyers going to re-download and gain the benefit of update.

Not directly related to the above but I see why many buyers are angry in the forums. Few times observed in item comments that author frankly admitting deficiencies on basic things and very politely requesting buyer to consider changing ratings after update. This is when the “politeness” or whatever good behavior start becoming an irritation for buyers. When it comes to business, admitting the deficiencies and allowing the costumers to stay their own level of forgiveness is the key – we shouldn’t touch that.

24 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
bonsaished says

Hi All,

If you make quality themes and provide quality support people will buy your themes, noone will care about that single 1 star rating. One of our themes was the 4th top rated theme on the whole marketplace. We had 14 5-star ratings. Then someone decided to give it a 1-star and we slipped back to God knows where.

I understand your pain, I was quite annoyed as well. I had no feedback, but there was one very discontent buyer who complained that there was a feature missing from the theme which we never said was in the theme – perhaps it was him. Take a look at the comment here.

While I would love to talk to him to reconsider the rating, I would never want a rating removed due to a discontent buyer. The amount of discontent buyers should be spread evenly, so I am probably not at a disadvantage. In addition, it gave me a chance to be nice to this person, which either he, or others might see.

I agree that the odd 1-star rating is annoying but if it really is just an odd-one-out then that means your theme/item is fine and everyone likes it, apart from one person. Move on, please the others and your next potential customers.

I agree with VF, I don’t think the update/reset is a good idea. It’s just a cheap way of getting rid of a bad rating. Also, it’s quite difficult to police this, where’s the line between a significant update and who’s to say if it IS significant. I think the best way to try and overhaul a bad rating is to try and contact the raters, apologise for any issues and offer to help them fix it, or provide a fix specifically for them.

In general about this:
Now honestly… it is just SO obvious that these people rating 1 star are either incompentent or want to harm you. Is that really necessary ?

There will always be people like that, even if you can take some ratings away, people will find how to harm you if they really want to. Instead of trying to avoid that, try and build trust, good relationships with people so there will be vastly more people who want to do something nice for you.

Daniel

669 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

The update supposed to cause future positive ratings to balance the average by itself. Not all the old buyers going to re-download and gain the benefit of update.

This is a great comment. Thanks for expressing your thoughts so well. For some reason I had not considered this point of view :P

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

I believe 4.5 is the crowded area which displays wide variety of characteristics through breakdown display – this can’t be precisely achieved by like system.
When i said biased towards low ratings, i meant this:
5* = +1
4* = 0
3* = -1
2* = -2
1* = -3
6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

I believe 4.5 is the crowded area which displays wide variety of characteristics through breakdown display – this can’t be precisely achieved by like system.
When i said biased towards low ratings, i meant this:
5* = +1
4* = 0
3* = -1
2* = -2
1* = -3

In such case, we should ask a Positive-Neutral-Negative system to keep things balanced for everyone. Asking for “like” system gives the impression of we are aiming an author-forward bias! Or at least points that we are no longer interested in hearing unfavor voices.

Personally I am one of those facing bitterness with unfair buyer demands and ratings being their blackmail tool. If we believe (many) buyers are unfairly going below positive, that reflects the crude nature of industry – it is a big subject! For example, if the theme markets attracted bad customers inside (for example 16 year old ones doing webdesign with the investment of $35 and expects a lot from micro-stock authors), changing a rating system alone wont help.

1283 posts
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

I have always rated everything I’ve bought here 5-star (with just a few 4-stars) and no 1/2/3 stars. I wouldn’t have bought it in the first place if I wouldn’t have rated it 5 stars.

Bottom line: some customers are total morons (the ones who post 1 star after seeing preview, buying it, then complaining). Or maybe they think 1 star is best? who knows…

24 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
bonsaished says

I think the current rating system is pretty good actually. I think buyers should have a blackmailing tool in their hands. Some people will unfairly take advantage of this for sure, but if there is no system like this, authors will take advantage of buyers.

If there is no “blackmailing tool” then authors could potentially deceive and generally not care about buyers after purchase without a problem. In this case authors could be taking advantage of hundreds or even thousands of people.

If there “IS” such a tool, perhaps a handful of people will be blackmailing authors. It doesn’t make it less of a crap experience but from the overall market perspective I think it’s more fair.

I’ve found that if you are nice to people via email and your theme is solid it is extremely easy to get 5 star ratings by just asking people to consider rating the theme. To put it another way: with the right attitude and a quality theme it is far easier to rake in 5 stars than 1 stars.

Daniel

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
robynthomas777 says

I would just say, if I rate someone a 1 star, they have earned it. Some developers go out of their way to make their templates useable and easy to install, provide great support and others do not. The instructions are horrible, or if followed don’t work, or it doesn’t work nearly as smooth as the demo. I think the responsibility for ease of use falls on the seller side. The easier to install and setup, the less support, the happier the customer. For those that don’t bother to think about the buyers’ needs…well, they suffer the rating earned. I just rated a provider a 1…and it was WELL earned. I want others to know that this guy just doesn’t care about customers. I want to save them the hassle and frustration I have had to deal with. That is what a rating system is all about. If you want 4 and 5’s, then provide 4 & 5 quality work.

by
by
by
by
by
by