52 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
bignet says

The problem is when you have a new file with only 3 ratings and one of them is 1star. That will look creepy.

I am fully agree with you

679 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Costa Rica
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
cooledition says

i totally agree, that’s not faire having an item rated 1 star just because the buyer didn’t take the time to read the documentation. I have a plugin with more 500 sales, and i can’t understand how i can get a one star rate on it, i’ve been working on it for months. The point is that later people will not buy a plugin poorly rated.

Thats just how it is, but its the same for everyone.

The iphone5 on the german amazon marketplace has 43 5star ratings and 17 1star ratings. I am not the biggest apple fan, but i am fairly certain the iphone5 is not a 1star product ;) The point is, there will always be people who want to harm you for whatever reason, you cant let them get to you.

A required multiline comment when giving a 1star rating is a horrible idea by the way, because then you wont “just” get the 1 star rating, you would also get this:

“This item is garbage, it never worked!
The author gives no support and is an arrogant prick
Do yourself a favor, dont buy this crap”

Now, i would very much prefer “just” the 1star ;)

The only way to prevent this would be a team of envato employees who do nothing else than approve rating comments all day long – i dont really see this happening.
Amazon, and every other serious marketplace force the buyer to place a comment along with the rating. If all the big successful marketplaces are doing it, then it should be there. If you want to build a car, better make it with 4 wheels. it’ll work for sure. Later we can discuss if it’s a good idea or not, how can it be better, taking all the time in the world.

Please explain to me why you would prefer a bad rating plus an insulting comment over just a bad rating.

Do you really think having to write a few insulting lines of text would stop people who give you a 1star rating because you didnt change half your theme for free on a sunday afternoon? Its exactly this kind of people who would have no problem whatsoever with this.
dude, lots of times the bad rating comes from envious authors just coz they envy you or you are selling in the same category, Some authors do this to damage their competition… Do you think an envy author will rate 1 start if he needs to write a comment? i guess no

So you are saying an author who willingly! goes through the process of purchasing an item from a competitor only to leave a bad rating would be stopped because he has to write a comment telling everyone how much crap said item exactly is? Seriously?

He might be shy of having his name displayed in public, but how hard is it to simply create a new account just for that reason – he would even make some affiliate money on that.

Yeah, but he must create a new email account, a new envato account and then make a deposit of minimum $20 just to buy the $6 item, then he must come buy your item, rate it 1 start and leave a bad comment. That would be 10 very boring minutes. It wont stop the 1 start rating but will make the proccess longer and boring.

224 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
h3design says

So you are saying an author who willingly! goes through the process of purchasing an item from a competitor only to leave a bad rating would be stopped because he has to write a comment telling everyone how much crap said item exactly is? Seriously?
YES, Exactly.

He might be shy of having his name displayed in public, but how hard is it to simply create a new account just for that reason – he would even make some affiliate money on that.
“Oh yes, I create a new account to rate an item bad and can even make affliate money. Noone will ever know who I really am !”... /irony
ever seen the line ”?ref=yourusername” ?
4135 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Quite simply, 1, 2 star ratings should be reviewed… but that would be a nightmare for the reviewers!

301 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
squaredWeb says

YES, Exactly.

Well, you have a different opinion than me on this, i can respect that.

“Oh yes, I create a new account to rate an item bad and can even make affliate money. Noone will ever know who I really am !”... /irony
ever seen the line ”?ref=yourusername” ?

Good you thought this through before posting …/irony ;)

However, forcing customers to leave a comment still poses a problem in potentially shrinking the already low rate of “real” ratings and thus giving the 1star guys even more power.

1394 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stylius says

1 star and 2 stars are still ratings guys. I understand that authors want 5 stars only, but sometimes buyers have the right to rate as they wish. This new feature is pretty cool, and if an item has only 1 rate of 1 star then it is not a big deal, the problem comes with more than 1 rate. ;)

184 posts
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
SurStudio says

Quite simply, 1, 2 star ratings should be reviewed… but that would be a nightmare for the reviewers!

Don’t need to be reviewed by stuff. If you’re not removing those low ratings, then we need the comment field, so prospective customers would know the reason of such rating.

384 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Philippines
phpbits says

I would be nice if we use rating/feedback like ebay. If you have have a negative feedback you should give an explanation as well. It would also nice if they buyer contact the buyer before the leave negative/1star rating.

Totally agreed!

490 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
wopethemes says

Don’t need to be reviewed by stuff. If you’re not removing those low ratings, then we need the comment field, so prospective customers would know the reason of such rating.

excellent idea.

I got 1 star also. No problem :D

688 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
EladChai says

The problem is when you have a new file with only 3 ratings and one of them is 1star. That will look creepy.
I am fully agree with you

Exactly

\\

What bothers the most is that the buyer didn’t even try to contact me for any help, didn’t leave a comment, just 1 star and bye bye. This specific item is SO EASY to use, 1-Click and it’s done. Totally unfair.

by
by
by
by
by
by