632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

Sorry guys, but now you just look like you enjoy moaning. The new feature is pretty good. If an item has 6 ratings with 5 stars and just 1 with 1 star then obviosly the item is a good item with one crazy person who didn’t like it, and buyers know that because they see it on Amazon and Google Play and they see it on every marketplace. If the text will be required then people who rate will drop significally, because if now it is difficult to make them rate, how do you imagine with a required text? Then again, if you require the text just for one and two stars what you will get will be a file with six “five stars” and two “one star” WITH a bad feedback like “It has these bugs” or “the file is large I had to install it via filezilla” or “the documentation is very unclear, it look like the person doesn’t speak English” which are valid feedbacks, but are negative, besides, it will be wrong.

I know that you want to get rid of those one star ratings you have there, but guess what, they are normal, the file would look scammy with 3563 “five stars” ratings, so if you want a good rating, make a really badass file, but don’t moan just for moaning.

There, I said it, attack me now! :P

This. This and only this. This should’ve been /thread because that comment is spot on.

Guess what peeps? We’re not the only marketplace in existence and if you think 1 star is bad, just go look at Apple or Google or Amazon or any other marketplace that exists. It’s the same problem and you just deal with it. We see 1 star on amazon all the time, this is not something that is new or exists only here.

God damn we have the start of a better rating system and people are still not happy, be grateful something is at least being done and after all these years we’re finally being acknowledged.

218 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
SurStudio says

Sorry guys, but now you just look like you enjoy moaning. The new feature is pretty good. If an item has 6 ratings with 5 stars and just 1 with 1 star then obviosly the item is a good item with one crazy person who didn’t like it, and buyers know that because they see it on Amazon and Google Play and they see it on every marketplace. If the text will be required then people who rate will drop significally, because if now it is difficult to make them rate, how do you imagine with a required text? Then again, if you require the text just for one and two stars what you will get will be a file with six “five stars” and two “one star” WITH a bad feedback like “It has these bugs” or “the file is large I had to install it via filezilla” or “the documentation is very unclear, it look like the person doesn’t speak English” which are valid feedbacks, but are negative, besides, it will be wrong.

I know that you want to get rid of those one star ratings you have there, but guess what, they are normal, the file would look scammy with 3563 “five stars” ratings, so if you want a good rating, make a really badass file, but don’t moan just for moaning.

There, I said it, attack me now! :P

In both Amazon and Google Play you have to write something along with the rating.

...the file would look scammy with 3563 “five stars” ratings, so if you want a good rating, make a really badass file…

So if we make a really badass file and get 3563 “five stars” ratings, will it look scammy or not? So, I’m not sure what do I have to do get a 5 Star item.

but don’t moan just for moaning.

Read all the comments and you’ll find plenty of valid arguments. Instead of moaning about people moaning.

1409 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Europe
+7 more
Stylius says

...the file would look scammy with 3563 “five stars” ratings, so if you want a good rating, make a really badass file… So if we make a a really badass file and get 3563 “five stars” ratings, will it look scammy or not? So, I’m not sure what do I have to do get a 5 Star item.

It would if it had only 5 stars ratings. Even the top sold file on TF has negative ratings, but that doesn’t stop it from selling 25000+ times, does it?

506 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

I have read this suggestion/idea alot, and I want to repeat it: Isn´t it time to implement a feature that its ONLY possible to rate an item below 3 stars if you give a multi-line feedback in which you list why the item should have 1/5 stars?

We’ve heard that a lot, we’re working towards it :)

218 posts
+4 more
SurStudio says

...the file would look scammy with 3563 “five stars” ratings, so if you want a good rating, make a really badass file… So if we make a a really badass file and get 3563 “five stars” ratings, will it look scammy or not? So, I’m not sure what do I have to do get a 5 Star item.
It would if it had only 5 stars ratings. Even the top sold file on TF has negative ratings, but that doesn’t stop it from selling 25000+ times, does it?

The top seller theme will still be up there. What about all others? We don’t know. But we do know that every f* other marketplace is using comment + rating.

I guess some people think they have a better understanding of the market than those monsters: Amazon, Google Play, Ebay

1409 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Located in Europe
+7 more
Stylius says

I have read this suggestion/idea alot, and I want to repeat it: Isn´t it time to implement a feature that its ONLY possible to rate an item below 3 stars if you give a multi-line feedback in which you list why the item should have 1/5 stars?

Well, you shouldn’t. If you make that then you better make it mandatory for above 3 stars ratings too.

218 posts
+4 more
SurStudio says

Have any plans on how to address existent low ratings?

506 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Well, you shouldn’t. If you make that then you better make it mandatory for above 3 stars ratings too.

To clarify, we haven’t yet got into the specifics of when a reason would be mandatory, but we’re working towards features for reasons/justifications of a rating.

63 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
PrimeThemes says

dude, lots of times the bad rating comes from envious authors just coz they envy you or you are selling in the same category, Some authors do this to damage their competition… Do you think an envy author will rate 1 start if he needs to write a comment? i guess no

Yep. 100% true. I do this all the time. So guys do yourself a favor: do not submit anything 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after I release anything. (I’ll create proper “heads-up” threads beforehand) (trollface :D )

Just in case: ^ that was sarcasm.

or from a buyer that request a “BIG” customization, but we reject it because we had no times. Abrakadabra….clang, 1 star rating comes.

Also, the scenario (my experience with my other account) – buyer hire a damn cheap freelancer to do the changes, the freelancer do not know anything about WP (even how to put wp_footer() in footer.php). Buyer email you with 20+ questions from the freelancer, and you simply reply “Well, your dev should already know about these things”. Again… Abrakadabra….clang, 1 star rating comes.

:D

129 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
WebDraft says

Honestly, the new rating system is brilliant. Now i know why i have only 3 or 4 or 5 stars.

So, who want to give me 2 stars ? :)), i have 5/4/3 and 1, now i need 2 :))

by
by
by
by
by
by