9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
Crawlerz2468 says

I am trying to render a sort of countdown grungy animation thing from my AE and I would like to upload it into the Motion Graphics category (or try to).

since the criteria is very specific (quicktime .mov with JPEG/H264/PNG compression) I’d like not to make a fool of myself. I have a couple of problems though… the render I output is completely crap quality (pixelating near edges where the color disolves into a black oval vignette around the screen). Looks like 8bit minecraft LOL. So I rendered a lossless .MOV with ANIMATION codec. Perfect quality but ABSOLUTELY GIGANTIC filesize. Several GB.

before you criticize my AE, yes all settings match, and the framerate and the resolution is not cropped.

can I get some input from the pros?

1179 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

Hey man,

You posted this in the ThemeForest section, I think you’d get much more responsive in the VideoHive section of the forums, if you ask kindly I’m sure a MOD will move you :)

Good luck mate!

9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Crawlerz2468 says

oh crap. sry sry. MOD, could you please move this thread?

1179 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

I flagged it for a staff reply for you man! So they should be along soon – good luck in VideoHive, I’m sure they’ll get you sorted out in no time :)

9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Crawlerz2468 says

I’ve read this http://forums.adobe.com/message/3763039 and seen their suggestion about bitrate and while I completely agree that small bitrate video cannot be good, I don’t see how it can be changed on the specific codec requirement renders.

1550 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Russian Federation
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
AndrVlad says

Add little (1-3%) almost invisible noise or grain and render into photo jpeg or h.264. Added noise will force codec to produce more bitrate and then less artifacts.

Best Regards, Andrey

2494 posts Community Officer
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
+15 more
contrastblack Staff says

Moved to VideoHive.

339 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
StencilMedia says

Yeah, do what AndrVlad said. Plus, make sure you’re working in 16 or 32bit. Last but not least, you could render out to uncompressed, and then bring it in to Adobe Media Encoder to output your final file.

Set to ‘render at maximum quality’, ‘render at maximum depth’ and turn off the ‘limit data rate’ and you should get a better result than you would straight from AE. Make sure you change it to progressive though, I think the default for outputting H.264 is set to interlaced for some reason.

9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Crawlerz2468 says

okay directly from AE to .MOV (H264), even with 2% noise still outputs crappy quality. to .MOV (PNG) outputs a filesize that is unacceptably large (this is 60sec clip).

293 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ivezicm says

my workflow is next.

render out in lossless (tga) qtime format. And than convert it to x264 (mov) format using qtimepro export settings. whenever I tried to export lossy mov format from either After Effects or AME (adobe media encoder) I got lousy result.

If there is transparency in your render, then I suggest to render alpha separately (in lossles format also) and encode it using qtimepro.

I’m sure Felt would explain more eloquently and more precise, but until he responds this might help you.

by
by
by
by
by
by