3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Zumf says

Hi all.

Please excuse me if this topic has been discussed before, but couldn’t find anything relevant when searching.

My situation is this: I have a site that a friend coded for me and now because he’s so busy, can’t finish what he started (had a control panel in which I could insert new content but can’t edit it or remove it without going into the guts of the thing).

So now I’m considering migrating to a linux server owned by another friend, but my site had quite a bit of ASP functionality – This will require a whole new site as I understand it.

Some of the site templates here on ThemeForest are really nice (especially liking this one: http://themeforest.net/item/synthetik-professional-xhtml-template/89108) but I’m unsure about a couple of things: - Custom fonts – My old site ( http://www.zumf.co.uk/zumf/) used my own custom font to add some personality to it and if possible, I’d like to preserve that.

- control panel editing. I hate having to add new content through ftp software and the closer I can get to a wysiwyg interface the better.

Am I aiming too high with this? (I’m a struggling freelance animator by the way)

Zumf.

374 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
_rohan says

If you use WordPress themes (Synthetik has one, I believe), adding content becomes supremely easy. If you like the template, and you buy an HTML version, the authors document the adding of new content, which WordPress makes very easy. I highly recommend a WordPress template.

3 posts
Zumf says
If you use WordPress themes (Synthetik has one, I believe), adding content becomes supremely easy. If you like the template, and you buy an HTML version, the authors document the adding of new content, which WordPress makes very easy. I highly recommend a WordPress template.

Thanks Rohan. Will have a look into Wordpress. I’d previously dismissed it as most wordpress pages I’ve seen are pretty standard looking, but I see this is not always the case.

Cheers.

1182 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
campolar says

Wordpress is your only cheap way… And its the best too, better take it!

3 posts
Zumf says
Wordpress is your only cheap way… And its the best too, better take it!

Yeah, I made the mistake before of assuming Wordpress was JUST the free blogging service at wordpress.com. No idea about the real potential of it.

Looks like all the functionality I’ve been looking for and the easy maintenance I wanted in the first place! Just have to make sure it’s ok to use Wordpress on my friend’s hosting. Can’t see why not.

552 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
OurWebMedia says

+1 to WordPress! A great choice!

32 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
wpthemess says

Wordpress best CMS and Blog solution for you and everyone. I’st easy and flexible.

by
by
by
by
by
by