• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Italy
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Manuelandro says

It is allowed?

My experience: Client (of Videohive) bought a work from my portfolio. After few days he had send me an email in which he talks about another similar work that he wants from me.

I spent days making the concept, modelling and animating 3d, matte painting, post production and sound. While i was rendering FINALLY the last comp, he wrote me that doesn’t want the work too.

I lost days, putted aside two works and three project for videohive…for free.

i lost money

1815 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+7 more
Mocarg Volunteer moderator says

Welcome to the club!

My story (Old 7 days)

Client sent me power point animation and said i want this in movie format! I spent 2 days animating. When i sent him he said THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED ! But i don’t want it anymore, sorry…

Expect everything from clients, but you should have taken some money on the beginning like 30% of the deal so you have that 30% if he screws you at the end…

443 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
vibes35 Reviewer says

That is very unfortunate and I am sorry to hear that you had this horrible experience.

One thing I ALWAYS do when working with a client is to provide a bid with terms and agreement. I usually require 50% before any work is done and the remainder on completion along with a time frame in which the work will be completed.

This protects me and it protects them…. along with that it shows that both parties take the job serious and in my opinion develops a much better relationship.

I have been using this process for years and have NEVER had a client complain about the process…

Not that this helps or offers comfort in you situation but i would seriously look into the future with this in mind!

1030 posts Massfocus
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Beta Tester
+3 more
Massfocus says

This is something everyone experiences once in a while, it is in your hands to not let this happen again. How terrible the situation is, you really have no one to blame but yourself. I know it sounds harsh, but this is really the truth.

If the client does not sign a contract or pays %50 up front for the project he has every right to downright “blow you off” whenever he feels like it, its hard but its the truth. So my advice is;

MAKE CONTRACTS , agreements or let the client pay %50 up front, so you know he is serious.

And don’t do any work! Before the client agrees and signs the contract you both agreed upon. Seriously, there are allot of people out there that wants to make you work for free, just to simply rip you off in the end. I think this is how “clients from hell” came to life. So you have to take precautions and make sure you wont take that road again.

5031 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

You have to ask yourself why a serious client would be scouting about on the web to get a bespoke job done, instead of going to a locally based, reputable motion graphics studio. Nothing against Videohive, but having a job done remotely by some guy or girl in another country who you’ve never met entails plenty of risks for the client too. Therefore, I’m guessing that the clients looking for bespoke jobs that you pick up through Videohive will show a disproportionately high percentage of chancers, shysters and ne’er-do-wells. Beware.

Don’t work remotely for clients until they have paid at least 50% up front. That way, you and client split the risk.

There are also some places on-line where a client can deposit the fee for a job in a third party holding account until completion. Should there be a dispute, the company will act as intermediary. Only problem is that I’ve forgotten what it’s called. Worth looking into though, if you can find it.

-f.

57 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Manuelandro says

people like this one should be banned from videohive.

we loose a buyer, but we up videohive more professional

3900 posts After Effects Templates
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
miseld says
people like this one should be banned from videohive. we loose a buyer, but we up videohive more professional

Agree with that i have a few clients too, it’s not about money it’s about respect!

584 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+4 more
flashato says
i lost money
but you win a wonderful experience.
Next time 50% for opening the software,on web request and just FYI ,this happend to me too.
Don’t worry, be happy :)
Arthur
5031 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Wise words, Arthur.

Yes… don’t let it eat you up. Every freelancer has had an experience like this at some point. I’ve had a few of them.

-f.

1257 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

good advice from everyone here, that’s why the programmer bid boards have an escrow service, where coders bid on a project and the client has to put the (entire) amount in escrow account so that they have to pay.

I’d a) require a contract b) require at least 20-30% upfront deposit and c) make sure they can see a portfolio of your work first, so they know what kind of quality you produce.

there’s BOTH bad clients (deadbeats, freebie-moochers), and bad producers (don’t deliver on time, flake out, or don’t produce good quality). protect yourself.

by
by
by
by
by
by