9 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
dwayne12 says

It doesn’t happen often, but occasionally I will see a theme I think has some issues. Recently I came across a theme which claimed to be responsive and it was to an extent. However it had severe layout bugs with things breaking pretty badly. It only came to my attention because someone else commented on the theme first pointing out the issues in a nice, helpful way, they even posted CSS fixes to help the author out, yet the theme was reported and flagged for staff review.

Disturbed by this, I posted a comment after looking at the demo myself and sure enough I saw a lot of issues, issues that the review process should have flagged. Now the quality is generally very high don’t get me wrong, the reviewers do an amazing job, but this theme in particular I think misses the benchmark for a great theme and is by no means fit for sale. What makes it even worse is the theme is by an author who’s badge says they’ve made between $10 and $50k. Their other themes are good quality, but this one has issues.

How are we as a community supposed to report themes like this? Do we look the other way? Because quite frankly any author that censors any comment pointing out issues is a bit worrying. My comment was even flagged for review and not once was I rude either. I did ask why the author flagged the originally comment and asked him to respond to the issues, this is disgusting to say the least.

Why do I care? Because I’ve been a member of Themeforest for nearly 4 years now, have made a lot of purchases and although themes on here are generally cheap, I have high expectations of quality (as do Themeforest) and do not want to see others being ripped off by buying a buggy theme they won’t be able to use in production. If I bought it, I could fix the issues, but regular John with a Wordpress blog would not.

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

I’ve had the same experience – when I’ve discovered after purchase that themes didn’t match demos, had serious issues or no support (when support was advertised as being provided), missing features, serious bugs & security issues etc. I’ve posted my concerns or feedback in a non-abusive way on the relevant theme feedback page.

I’ve made these comments to alert buyers to potential issues, as this sort of feedback is invaluable for me when browsing for new themes. It also gives the author a chance to respond or fix the issue, and considering the unreliable nature of some authors support, is the only way to register dissatisfaction with a bad purchase.

In almost every case my comments have been removed and marked as ‘offensive’, when they were nothing of the sort. Authors responses to my comments, however, insinuating that I’m either a novice (or ‘noob’ as they like to say on here) or troublemaker are left in place, despite the fact that their replies are a lot more offensive than my politely raised concerns.

After a few years on here I’ve come to the depressing conclusion that authors needs will always be put before buyers. There is very little protection for buyers on here, and when you’re stuck with a purchase that’s not fit for purpose you have to fight tooth and claw to get a refund.

Thank you for reporting the issues you find though, it really helps to alert buyers to potential issues, and if the authors really care about their product, gives them a chance to fix it.

5209 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+9 more
KingDog Staff says

Please contact Support and they will pass it on the the Review team – http://support.envato.com/ Thanks!

9 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
dwayne12 says

Thanks KingDog, I did log a support ticket about it so hopefully something is sorted out. The same theme I reported has made a few sales now, still buggy as hell and yet my comment is still flagged for staff review (as is the original comment). I noticed a couple of people who purchased the theme have made comments about numerous errors and how badly coded the theme actually is. Does the review process favor established authors and looks the other way, doesn’t scrutinise as much as new themes?

by
by
by
by
by
by