• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
wptitans says
Hi guys, there are few issues I have seen regarding themes here on Themeforest which causes problems for plugins :) , we have 3 plugins on sale on codecanyon and are mainly used with themes here. 30 – 40% issues are caused by simple problems like
  1. not including wp_footer and wp_head
  2. not updating jquery
  3. One of the most important issue is not controlling scope of their scripts and stylesheets , I have seen this in files from some top authors as well that their framework’s scripts and css files are included on all wp admin pages even on those where there is no use. It has two problems , first there is performance issue and second it may conflict with plugin files.
Hope these points will help us create more awesome themes and plugins :) .
1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

In the theme I’m working on, all javascript is wrapped in a global $fs object, to avoid conflicts. I do the same on the php side…I have a class that wraps all methods, so I don’t have to namespace functions like fs_show_breadcrumb(), I can use $theme->common->breadcrumbs->show().

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
wptitans says

In the theme I’m working on, all javascript is wrapped in a global $fs object, to avoid conflicts. I do the same on the php side…I have a class that wraps all methods, so I don’t have to namespace functions like fs_show_breadcrumb(), I can use $theme->common->breadcrumbs->show().

Hi it’s not that , on one theme author was using uploadify and it was uploading on all wp admin pages , our plugin also uses uploadify and due his bad practice plugin wasnt working and buyer thinks our plugin is buggy.

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
wptitans says

Maybe some fellow authors can reply with there findings or experiences. Both plugin developers and theme developers are welcome to join in.

3422 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I agree that there needs to be better adherence to WordPress best practices. I have definitely run into a lot of users that think a plugin is “broken” because the theme they’re using hasn’t done something properly so it won’t play nice with plugins. The most common issue I’ve seen is themes that run their own version of jQuery (whether through the Google CDN or by including it in the theme files) without properly deregistering, enqueueing, and running in no conflict mode. Another is implementing the WP3 nav menu system improperly.

However, I believe the review process standards have recently been heightened to require these best practices, so it shouldn’t be as much of an issue with new themes.

Also, I think most of the topics that would be covered here are already covered in the Tools & Tips thread http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/tools-tips-for-wp-authors/40268

2048 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

No problems here, I always try to make everything best for users :)

by
by
by
by
by
by