308 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
brainbuzzmedia says

Now i’m only partially making this thread to whine, I think there is also a legitimate problem here. It seems to me that we only have two-three reviewers for wordpress themes and they are obviously very busy. However, it is extremely frustrating as an author to spend three months on a file, finish up all of the demo content, write and style an item description and wait 3 days in the queue only to get an extremely vague letter saying your file was almost good enough but was rejected.

Sometimes there are screenshots with something pointed out and those are very helpful. But sometimes there are just a couple sentences that vaguely point out a general issue without giving any idea where in the theme it occurs.

Sure there isn’t time for detailed feedback on every theme, but this has happened a number of times on themes where the email has stated “Your theme is not quite ready” and the required fixes, while pretty small were still so vague that it is an ordeal.

So when I get a letter like this and don’t understand what the problem even is that needs to be fixed, what can I do from there? I can tweet the reviewer and hope he replies (which they often do) but this requires knowing who the reviewer was and they don’t tell you anymore. Or I can do what… file a support ticket? In my experience this has about a 50/50 chance of even hearing back and if so it usually takes 5-7 days.

So if we don’t get clear feedback because there isn’t time to give it and we have no method of asking for it in any reasonable amount of time, what are we supposed to do?

After submitting my newest theme for the first time, it was rejected with the “You’re almost there” email. There were 4 technical (theme check etc) issues that needed to be fixed. It was my fault for not being thorough enough. After fixing these very thoroughly and resubmitting, here is the feedback I recieved in full:

Unfortunately your submission Expression – Responsive Multi-Purpose WordPress isn’t quite ready for ThemeForest. Here’s some feedback from our Review team on why it couldn’t be accepted.

Please use wp_enqueue to load any external scripts/stylesheet – wp_enqueue_script / wp_enqueue_style – http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script#Functions

Also, please use conditional tag to load scripts for only the specific page, for example nivo script only for page with nivo slider.

http://d.pr/i/WeuI

If you look at the screenshot, everything is enqueued using the mentioned wp_enqueue. All of the files are used on every page as well. Why was my file rejected? How can I reasonably find out?

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Is this in the header.php? If it is, you may want to move all these into functions.php so the codes can stay organized.

308 posts
+4 more
brainbuzzmedia says

Yeah it is, and thanks for the tip, I will do that.

308 posts
+4 more
brainbuzzmedia says

So, what should I do about this?

332 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

As mentioned, load up all the JS conditionally. If there’s no Nivo slider on page – don’t load it.

308 posts
+4 more
brainbuzzmedia says

Did you even look at the screenshot? Nivo slider is not used anywhere in my theme and not referenced either. All style and js loaded is needed on every page.

by
by
by
by
by
by